Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 01:22 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,386,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Funny....but scripture outright contradicts what you say. But I know--you can't be bothered with little things like what scripture actually says. You instead claim to have some deeper understanding of who God is...and by virtue of this special understanding of God, you tell us the rest of us are wrong.

I'm sorry...I'll believe scripture over some 21st Century Mystic. You never have been able to tell me how we know who is right when 2 mystics get contradictory answers.
Love, always prevails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 01:26 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,213,996 times
Quote:
...snip... You never have been able to tell me how we know who is right when 2 mystics get contradictory answers.
It's easy, Viz. It's done the same way you reconcile all those biblical contradictions: Play semantic word games involving context.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:34 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,689,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
....and how does one display that they believe ?____________- James 2 vs 19,26

If you really believe the weatherman that it is going to rain or snow hard do you exercise that belief in his forecast to be prepared by taking the proper actions when necessary ?

How did Jesus show his belief according to Luke 4 v 43 ?
And how did Jesus say we should show our belief according to Matthew 24 vs 13,14?
I didn't say you shouldn't work, I said the works won't save or doom you. The question here is actually whether or not works will doom you, and the answer is no.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:51 PM

63,876 posts, read 40,157,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
The work of salvation is complete. We only need to access what is freely available... it's the "Way".
By access you mean take advantage of it? Of course. What purpose is their to being saved if we don't make something of it. That is why it is important to follow Christ's instructions to His disciples to "love God and each other" daily and repent when we don't.
Quote:
It gives me pause to believe anyone can know what another "thinks"... that is the pretense of knowledge.
No . . . it is inference from the history of his posts. Are you unable to derive such inferences?

Old 02-15-2014, 06:34 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,944,262 times
So many "faith alone"ers keep saying, "Your good works won't save you!"

I KNOW my works alone won't save me!!! That's not what I ever said. I'm saying my faith in Jesus PLUS a good life lived in and through Jesus will save me. Not faith alone; not good works alone. Faith and good works together.

That's the example Jesus set.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:40 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,979,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I KNOW my works alone won't save me!!! That's not what I ever said. I'm saying my faith in Jesus PLUS a good life lived in and through Jesus will save me. Not faith alone; not good works alone. Faith and good works together.
Yes, as Jesus set the example. Not just in neighborly good Samaritan works, but in doing spiritual works.

- Matthew 24 v 14; 28 vs 19,20; Acts 1 v8

Old 02-15-2014, 07:08 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,210,848 times
Quote:

Not good enough for some people.

Weird, isn't it?

Old 02-15-2014, 07:28 PM

63,876 posts, read 40,157,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The idea that our "fruits" are the indicators of our "belief ON" Jesus . . . (not our proclamations of belief) . . . is unacceptable. ANY implication that we have any requirements to actually DO anything besides "believe" is simply not acceptable.

Ironically . . . Vizio is right as regards our salvation but not for the reasons he thinks. NONE of us have anything to do with our salvation. Jesus did it for us all, period. But we DO have to concern ourselves with our sanctification under His love for us all by striving to "love God and each other" daily and repent when we don't. That is how we attune our Spirits to His and achieve the cover of His perfection for our imperfections.
Quote:
Funny....but scripture outright contradicts what you say. But I know--you can't be bothered with little things like what scripture actually says. You instead claim to have some deeper understanding of who God is...and by virtue of this special understanding of God, you tell us the rest of us are wrong.
I'm sorry...I'll believe scripture over some 21st Century Mystic. You never have been able to tell me how we know who is right when 2 mystics get contradictory answers.
I suspect you cannot tell because you override what is "written in our hearts" with the "precepts and doctrines of men" in the words "written in ink" in the Bible. This is a rejection of the New Covenant ushered in by Christ's crucifixion and culminated at Pentecost. Christ abides with us and we have no need that anyone teach us. His Holy Spirit (Comforter) is within our consciousness to guide us to what God has "written in our hearts." If we sincerely follow the love in our hearts in "love of God and each other" as Christ instructed . . . we cannot ever go wrong. Being able to tell who is right and who is not becomes trivial! ANYTHING unloving is wrong, period. How do these scriptures outright contradict me?

Hebrews 8:7-13 King James Version (KJV)

7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.
8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.
13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

1 John 2:27 (King James Version)

27But the anointing which ye have received of Him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in Him.
2 Corinthians 3: 2-6 (King James Version)

2Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:
3Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us,written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.
4And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward:
5Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God;
6Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

1 John 4:7-8 (King James Version)

7Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
8He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

1 John 4:6 (King James Version)

6We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.
7Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.
8He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.
9In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.
10Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved us, and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins.
11Beloved, if God so loved us, we ought also to love one another.
12No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.
13Hereby know we that we dwell in him, and he in us, because he hath given us of his Spirit.
14And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.
15Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.
16And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.
17Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.
18There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.
19We love him, because he first loved us.
20If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?
21And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.

Ephesians 4:14-15 (King James Version)

14That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
15But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

Last edited by MysticPhD; 02-15-2014 at 07:40 PM..

Old 02-15-2014, 09:51 PM

28,103 posts, read 30,002,142 times
Quote:

It won't do you an ounce of good to explain, thrillobyte. Anybody who bothered to read your OP would have been able to see that you never claimed that your works would save you. Some of these people are bound and determined to twist your words. You could repeat yourself a hundred times and they twist your words a hundred times. You are fighting a losing battle.

I'll tell you what's weird to me. It's almost as if they think it somehow reflects negatively on Jesus that He would expect us to be faithful and obedient servants. They seem to feel that when we make an effort follow Christ's example is somehow an afront to Him and an insult to His power. They act as if we're saying Jesus can't save us on His own. That, of course, is pure nonsense, but they can't see it.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:02 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,944,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Not good enough for some people.

Weird, isn't it?
You ain't just a-whistlin' Dixie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity