Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 11:05 PM

63,834 posts, read 40,118,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Thanks. Well, I don't believe in a Satan or devil that exists as an entity that is separate from man. Without man, there is no Satan. We have two natures. One is opposed to the other. All that is not Christ is anti-Christ. Jesus was speaking to that part within Peter that was opposed to the things of God. The same goes for every person on the planet. Our two opposing natures are Universal to mankind. We inherited the carnal nature from our parents and their parents before them, and on and on and on it goes throughout our ancestry. But since Jesus came into the world and Christ died and was raised again, God has planted the good seed of Christ in every man (the whole field). There is a battle within every human being until such time as we are released from our mortal bodies. The only devil you will ever encounter will be inside yourself or inside of your brothers and sisters.
Amen, Heartsong!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
My point is that the temptation is internal and not external, Temptation is not about the devil made me do bad things. Temptation is about being intrinsically weak and away from God.
The devil lives inside of us 24/7 and if we are not weak he does nothing. The devil is the evil within us which is a much more powerful point than ascribing evil to an external force.
Amen, Julian!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I recognize that temptation is internal. I agree. There are, of course, outside factors that affect us...but it's an internal struggle.
The Bible talks about an actual being named Satan. He is real. He was an angel of God--the archangel Lucifer.
Do you believe that Satan is an actual being? Or do you, as you seem to be suggesting, believe that he's just an allegory that describes our internal struggle?
You believe in ancient fables derived from the ignorance of our savage ancestors, Vizio. We were warned that in the latter days people would follow fables and false teachings. Be careful, Vizio. We all have an internal Serpent that is the source of ALL our inner urges and desires. That is the Serpent that deceived Eve and is the one that deceives each of us by its indiscriminate generation of drives in search of pleasure and in avoidance of pain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 11:24 PM

757 posts, read 1,025,371 times
Intriguing title.

"If I were the devil..." I would take a deep look inside at myself and contemplate on why I'd get pleasure and feel content by afflicting pain and suffering to mankind, why do I do what I do, why do I perpetuate the evil stereotype and perhaps try to find a way to break the devilish mold. It must be terrible being the devil and be hated by most for centuries, but then perhaps hatred from others is precisely what feed the devil's appetite and longevity, and so the vicious circle continues for eternity. I don't know, just a philosophical way of looking at it....

Old 02-15-2014, 12:14 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,150,355 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerwade

A favorite fable of Christianism.

Satan is merely that which is adversarial, "friend or foe."
A derivative
from within the minds of men or that of their nature.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmiej
What is your authority for this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Reading Scripture, under the light of truth.

Many read scriptures and understand these truths:

Satan is more than just a personification of evil

2 Corinthians 4:4, "in whose case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God."

1 John 5:19, 'We know that we are of God, and that the whole world lies in the power of the evil one."

John 12:31, "Now judgment is upon this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out."

The evil within us or an actual person who practices deception?

2 Corinthians 11:4, "And no wonder, for Satan himself keeps disguising himself as an angel of light."

Old 02-15-2014, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post

2 Corinthians 11:4, "And no wonder, for Satan himself keeps disguising himself as an angel of light."
This refers to the widespread tendency for us to excuse or rationalize our behaviors and put them in the best light . . . whether or not they deserve it. It reminds me of the antics of Alibi Ike.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:01 AM

1,311 posts, read 1,529,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
My point is that the temptation is internal and not external, Temptation is not about the devil made me do bad things. Temptation is about being intrinsically weak and away from God.

The devil lives inside of us 24/7 and if we are not weak he does nothing. The devil is the evil within us which is a much more powerful point than ascribing evil to an external force.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
Many read scriptures and understand these truths:

Satan is more than just a personification of evil

2 Corinthians 4:4, "in whose case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God."

1 John 5:19, 'We know that we are of God, and that the whole world lies in the power of the evil one."

John 12:31, "Now judgment is upon this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out."

I look at it this way; if Satan is not real then angels are not real. If angels are not real then the angel of God also referred to as the angel of the LORD is not real. If the angel of God is not real then God is a liar for God said, "Behold, I send an Angel before thee, to keep thee in the way, and to bring thee into the place which I have prepared." Exodus 23:20

Old 02-15-2014, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorALly View Post
I look at it this way; if Satan is not real then angels are not real. If angels are not real then the angel of God also referred to as the angel of the LORD is not real. If the angel of God is not real then God is a liar for God said, "Behold, I send an Angel before thee, to keep thee in the way, and to bring thee into the place which I have prepared." Exodus 23:20
A series of non sequiturs from a verse produced by the ancient ignorance and superstition of the OT writers.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:30 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,150,355 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by hd4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This refers to the widespread tendency for us to excuse or rationalize our behaviors and put them in the best light . . . whether or not they deserve it. It reminds me of the antics of Alibi Ike.
Or instead of applying our own interpretation we can just let Scripture interpret Scripture and get the sense of whether Satan is real.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:47 AM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,200,465 times
Lightbulb So true. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
His words are even more powerful and insightful when you hear him say them

If I Were the Devil - (BEST VERSION) by PAUL HARVEY audio restored - YouTube

Thanks for the link.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:01 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,348,344 times
Quote:
Fear!!!!!!!!!

I see this in the ALL or NOTHING folks. They must believe everything 100% because if one part is allegoric then there is the chance the entire bible is an allegoric tale. And this is something an ALL or NOTHING Christian that expects the REWARD of salvation cannot face.

That is why sometimes the ALL or NOTHING folks become atheists. They must verify everything with 100% certainty.

Your point is well taken but there is another side to Christianity and that is to be a Christian for the sake of being a Christian with NO EXPECTATIONS. Can a person that has doubts be a Christian? What is a Christian?

As I said if we make Satan allegoric the message of Christianity remains unchanged. The only issue is that it causes people to think that other things may also be allegoric. And that is terrifying!

Old 02-15-2014, 09:39 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
You got it.

Many believe modern fables thinking they are really wiser than man in the past. What arrogance and foolishness.

Modern Fable: Satan is not real he is you and your own inward desires, etc.

Just what Satan wants and they ... cooperate with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity