Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 09:58 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,419,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm sure that I'd have mixed feelings, as would most of us. I'd probably have some regrets, and I'd feel bad for the loved ones I was going to leave behind. There definitely wouldn't be any fear, though. I would be looking forward to living with God and with my loved ones who had already passed on. To me, to believe in God is to know that all the rules will be fair and there will be many wonderful surprises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 10:46 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,236,480 times
Here's where I wanted to post this.

There would be the initial fear and panic of what my body is going to have to go through in order to die. However, I know where I'm going so there's no fear of the unknown.

I've heard many stories of how Christians "die well." Meaning they're at peace even with the process of their bodies dying. I think in those moments Jesus will walk us through.

I have to say, if I had a choice on how to die, it wouldn't be a sudden traumatic thing, but a diagnosis, time to prepare and a morphine drip at the end ; unfortunately we don't get to choose.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:12 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,689,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Let's say that the doctors told you that you only had a few weeks to live, or that you were on a plane that was about to crash and your death seemed certain. How do you think you would react?

Some months back I had what at the time I thought was, and which may have been, a heart attack. If so, it turned out to be minor. I had been asleep and was awakened when my heart started beating hard and fast for no apparent reason. And it went on for hours. I don't remember if there was any pain but I did feel strange. During that time it occurred to me that I might be about to die. And when that thought occurred to me I immediately felt a great sense of peace and joy. I was perfectly fine with the possibility that I might be about to depart from this world and go home to be with the Lord. Far from having any thought of going to the emergency room, I just lay there and enjoyed the moment until I eventually fell asleep.

How do you think that you personally would react if you thought that you might be about to die, or if you knew that your death was near and certain? Would you panic and fall apart? Or would you be at peace?

And please, let's not have any debate on whether the believer goes to heaven when he dies. That's not the topic of the thread.
Entering the unknown makes most people nervous, even if they believe the unknown is not a bad thing (as in entering heaven). I remember reporting for military service, and I felt nervous simply because I was walking into something I had not experienced before. I heard the stories, but I had not seen it with my own eyes, so I was nervous. Same with death. I would not be able to lie down and enjoy, that's for sure. I guess you are a bigger man than me. Also, going to heaven might be good for me, but my death would turn my wife's life upside down, and that is not a pleasant thought.

Old 02-15-2014, 11:56 AM

591 posts, read 927,191 times
As an atheist, I would spend the time enjoying my last few days/weeks or whatever. Then be with my family until the day I go.

Isn't that what any normal person would do?!

Seems a pointless question to me.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:04 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,979,331 times
I recall after boarding a USA plane for England [ first, I hoped if there was a crash it would be on the way home ], then having confidence in the resurrection [ 1st Corinthians 15 vs 12-19 ] thinking how sad it would be for those without a resurrection hope.
If there was No resurrection, then it wouldn't matter when the crash because there would be No memories of the time spent in England.
- Ecclesiastes 9 v 5

Old 02-15-2014, 01:25 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,024,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm sure that I'd have mixed feelings, as would most of us. I'd probably have some regrets, and I'd feel bad for the loved ones I was going to leave behind. There definitely wouldn't be any fear, though. I would be looking forward to living with God and with my loved ones who had already passed on. To me, to believe in God is to know that all the rules will be fair and there will be many wonderful surprises.
Well said. I feel the same. We're all going to die - no need to be fearful of death. I do think I'd be upset if I were faced with a violent or slow and very painful dying process. I do my best to stay at peace with everyone in my life so that I won't have regrets. I do hope and pray I go before all my children.
Sometimes when I feel really tired I think about the time coming when I will receive an eternal rest.

Old 02-15-2014, 01:37 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,979,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartsong View Post
Well said. I feel the same. We're all going to die - no need to be fearful of death. I do think I'd be upset if I were faced with a violent or slow and very painful dying process. I do my best to stay at peace with everyone in my life so that I won't have regrets. I do hope and pray I go before all my children.
Sometimes when I feel really tired I think about the time coming when I will receive an eternal rest.
If you believe in ' eternal rest ' then you don't believe in a resurrection awakening from death's temporary deep sleep or rest.

Did Jesus teach we're all going to die?______ At the coming ' harvest time' or ' time of separation ' of Matthew 25 vs 31,32 there is No death mentioned for the humble sheep-like people. They can remain alive on earth, and keep right on living on earth, right into the start of Jesus' 1000-year kingdom reign over earth.

We are nearing the threshold of Jesus' millennium-long day of reigning over earth when the great crowd [ sheep-like ones ] can come through the coming ' great tribulation ' alive on earth and continue living on earth.
- Rev. 7 v 14; Psalm 37 vs 11,29

Old 02-15-2014, 01:47 PM

5,965 posts, read 7,024,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
If you believe in ' eternal rest ' then you don't believe in a resurrection awakening from death's temporary deep sleep or rest.

Did Jesus teach we're all going to die?______ At the coming ' harvest time' or ' time of separation ' of Matthew 25 vs 31,32 there is No death mentioned for the humble sheep-like people. They can remain alive on earth, and keep right on living on earth, right into the start of Jesus' 1000-year kingdom reign over earth.

We are nearing the threshold of Jesus' millennium-long day of reigning over earth when the great crowd [ sheep-like ones ] can come through the coming ' great tribulation ' alive on earth and continue living on earth.
- Rev. 7 v 14; Psalm 37 vs 11,29
Do you just like to argue? I believe in eternal rest, not eternal death -- rest from the labor and struggle of this world. Rest as in, no more tears nor sorrow nor suffering. Do you not believe in that?

This thread is about facing death, not about what we believe concerning the tribulation and resurrection, etc....

Old 02-16-2014, 04:20 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,558,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Matt View Post
As an atheist, I would spend the time enjoying my last few days/weeks or whatever. Then be with my family until the day I go.

Isn't that what any normal person would do?!

Seems a pointless question to me.
Why are atheists always posting in Christian focused threads?

With that said, I had a health scare last month and what did I feel? A sense of bother, an "oh well" and an odd feeling of peace and joy. The health scare turned out to be from eating beets. My reaction to the the thought of my demise was comforting. Odd. Yes, I know.

Red pee. I thought this was it. Bladder cancer.

Old 02-17-2014, 03:56 PM

24,130 posts, read 32,525,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Let's say that the doctors told you that you only had a few weeks to live, or that you were on a plane that was about to crash and your death seemed certain. How do you think you would react?

Some months back I had what at the time I thought was, and which may have been, a heart attack. If so, it turned out to be minor. I had been asleep and was awakened when my heart started beating hard and fast for no apparent reason. And it went on for hours. I don't remember if there was any pain but I did feel strange. During that time it occurred to me that I might be about to die. And when that thought occurred to me I immediately felt a great sense of peace and joy. I was perfectly fine with the possibility that I might be about to depart from this world and go home to be with the Lord. Far from having any thought of going to the emergency room, I just lay there and enjoyed the moment until I eventually fell asleep.

How do you think that you personally would react if you thought that you might be about to die, or if you knew that your death was near and certain? Would you panic and fall apart? Or would you be at peace?

And please, let's not have any debate on whether the believer goes to heaven when he dies. That's not the topic of the thread.

Well it happened to me once in a car accident as a teenager. I REALLY thought that was IT. As we swerved I said The Sinner's Prayer and told Jesus that I loved and believed in him.
I was a little frightened - not as much of death as of whatever pain or dismemberment I was about to suffer.

If I had two weeks or more to think about it, now as an adult with teenage kids of my own, I'd be more concerned with them. With them having to make the transition between young adulthood and maturity with out a mom. I lost my mother at that age, and it was very difficult and it affected my entire adult life.

I would not be afraid of hell though. I am secure in my Salvation, but I am far from a Calvinist.

Pretty much as far as one can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity