Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 03:59 PM

441 posts, read 393,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Thanks for that, but that's really not my point. It doesn't occur to the OP that he is really indulging in an act of hubris, not that of prophesying.

If Christ says no one will know, then no one will know. To me, there's a rather important theological purpose behind this. In my opinion, it means to avoid obsessing over eschatology and focus on the day-to-day living of His word in our dealings with God and each other.
But He did give indicators not about His return so much as that which will lead up to His return. Matt. 24.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 04:01 PM

439 posts, read 427,835 times
Quote:
Yes, but you're being highly literal in addressing what was likely very figurative language. It's almost as if you whipped out a secret decoder ring to try to divine what God has in His mind. If that's not hubris I don't know what is. What's more, the signs referred to in the language of Revelations is so vague, so inscrutable that they defy interpretation. I mean, heck, just the bit about "wars and rumors of wars." When HASN'T that been part of human history?

The entire point of that passage from Matthew, along with Christ's parable about the ten bridesmaids, is that no one knows. Therefore, having a prepared soul is the most important thing of all.
Listen... No one knows the day or time of Jesus' return. I wasn't referring to the signing of the peace agreement. THAT is set in stone, as of right now.

I haven't had to use my secret decoder ring yet. I only use that on special occasions.

Tell me this... Have any of the 7 trumpets blown?

I have an answer for that. 5 have already been blown. The 6th is about to blow, which will result in 1/3 of mankind being destroyed. This happens right around the time of the peace agreement. The Bible doesn't give any clues as to which one happens first. In order to kill 1/3 of mankind, it will have to be a nuclear war.

Don't take the passage from Matthew and base your whole theory around it. Step outside the box. If you want some more information about it, I'd be more than happy to share it with you. It's all Biblical.

I know Irvin Baxter and I respect this man very much. He has studied the end time prophecies for over 20 years. He didn't just wake up one day and throw something together. This has been an ongoing process. It takes years for him just to learn a little nugget of truth. This man has sought after God and God has honored his prayers. In November, God made a way for Irvin to set up a bible prophecy college in Jerusalem. If you look out the window of the college you will see the Dome of the Rock. God has continually opened doors and put things in his lap. He is opening the eyes of the people in Jerusalem. You really need to check out some of his testimonies before you start casting stones at one of God's chosen people. It's not all hogwash. Don't be deceived by your own pride.

Here's a good testimony to start with. Part 1 & Part 2 - When you're ready to educate yourself about the endtimes, let me know. I'll hook you up.

Another Jewish Holocaust Part 1 - YouTube

Another Jewish Holocaust Part 2 - YouTube

Old 02-16-2014, 04:07 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,255,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croref View Post
But He did give indicators not about His return so much as that which will lead up to His return. Matt. 24.
Yes, and those indicators are so vague that they could be applied to pretty much any epoch in human history. I mean, jeez, if the Second Coming didn't take place when the Romans sacked Jerusalem, or when the Muslums overran half of Christendom, or during the Black Death of the 1300s, or the 1940s, then why now in a relatively peaceful world?

Here's the thing. People who indulge in this kind of thinking are really trying to capture God in a bottle, attempting to appropriate Him to themselves because they desperately and vaingloriously want to be privy to the details of Christ's coming. It is an act of egotism, the triumph of self-importance over humility. What's more, just like the other zillion predictions that have not panned out, the message is all wrong. People who say, "The Second Coming begins on this date" completely miss the point of the faith. They are so focused on the Second Coming that they forget that our mission is to build God's Kingdom on earth today in how we live and how we treat one another. Do those things and suddenly eschatology is a minor detail.

Yet when you run around flapping your arms and yapping endlessly about how the End Is Coming and then it doesn't happen, all you've done is invalidate the real message of Christ to others--you know, the message specifically detailed in the Beatitudes. By making these tomfool predictions about the world's end that never turn out to be true, you make a mockery of our faith in the eyes of the unchurched. For, to them, you are the flakes who keep making these predictions that turn out never to be true which then distract from the beautiful truths of Christianity. For if, on the other hand, your message is one of peace and hope and love and the building of God's kingdom on earth in the here and now, then you actually start to make sense to people who are trying to find their way in a broken world.

I do not know when it happens. Period. I have no clue. Will it be tomorrow morning or ten thousand years from now? I do not know and neither does anyone else. But I do know that Christ discouraged us repeatedly against indulging in this kind of talk. I wish you guys would concentrate on those passages of the Bible rather than obsessing over Revelations.

Last edited by cpg35223; 02-16-2014 at 04:19 PM..

Old 02-16-2014, 04:08 PM

758 posts, read 852,745 times
Quote:
I dislike these threads on Revelation. Why? Because they are the product of hubris, a belief on the part of the OP that he has cracked God's code. This is a head scratcher because it says that nobody will know the day of his coming, not even the angels. To me, then, it is arrogant to assume one knows, and is certainly not an indication of faith.
It all sounds so wonderful - that nobody will know the day of his coming! But... you left out the most important part ... "But you are not in darkness that that day should come upon you unawares!! "

We know exactly when the Second Coming of Jesus Christ will occur - All ya have to do is look; At what the scripture says; When Jesus fulfilled all that was written about Him. The First Time He was here.

He fulfilled all three of the Spring Feasts of God's Holy Days.

Passover - Unleavened Bread - First-fruits

When He Returns the Second Time it will be to fulfill the last 3 feasts of the Fall Feasts of God's Holy Days. We know when - We just do not know which year, or day of the feasts, or the Hour of the Final Trump because during the Feast of Trumpets. There are many Final Trumps; One for each day of the weekly Feast.

Israel is God's Time piece - Watch what soon happens there during the four upcoming Blood Moons of which Jesus Spoke!

April of 2014 (passover) October 2014 (another Feast day) - April 2015 (Passover again) & October 2015 (Same feast day) This is all coincidence eh ??

WATCH!!

Last edited by Atkutuq; 02-16-2014 at 04:31 PM..

Old 02-16-2014, 04:08 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,435,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
JBrown...You forgot the other definition of Khlo-ros' which is "Yellowish Pale...
Luciferin? (A yellowish, pale-green light or a dim light having no color; consisting of ashes)

Old 02-16-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
The fact that you and anyone else is trying to put a date on the end of time shows your ignorance of the Bible. No one knows, only the Father!
The fact that you and anyone else aren't trying to figure out what the Bible says and learn more about the day and age we live in, shows your "________" of what you don't know about God and His Word.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
I do not know when it happens. Period. I have no clue. Will it be tomorrow morning or ten thousand years from now? I do not know and neither does anyone else. But I do know that Christ discouraged us repeatedly against indulging in this kind of talk. I wish you guys would concentrate on those passages of the Bible rather than obsessing over Revelations.
You must not be in God's circle of trust...

Yes, there are people who do know about the end times. If you don't, "you are not wise" (according to God's Word).

Dan 12:8-11
I heard what he said, but I did not understand what he meant. So I asked, “How will all this finally end, my lord?” But he said, “Go now, Daniel, for what I have said is kept secret and sealed until the time of the end. Many will be purified, cleansed, and refined by these trials. But the wicked will continue in their wickedness, and none of them will understand. Only those who are wise will know what it means. “From the time the daily sacrifice is stopped and the sacrilegious object that causes desecration is set up to be worshiped, there will be 1,290 days."

Old 02-16-2014, 04:36 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,435,372 times
In the wake of religious deceptions and fear, war and famine become "pestilences."
As false beliefs are the cause of destroying various communities or the social systems of humanity.

"Religiosity is nothing less, than that of a disease; and it is the sick who need a physician."

Old 02-16-2014, 04:39 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,522,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrown0830 View Post
The fact that you and anyone else aren't trying to figure out what the Bible says and learn more about the day and age we live in, shows your "________" of what you don't know about God and His Word.
Here is a partial list of like-minded people who were so sure, starting from Acts 1:6 right through just recently.
It includes entire organizations to Popes:

About 30 ad ... <Acts 1:6> the disciples thought Jesus was going to re-establish the earthly kingdom rule

About 50 ad ... <1 Thessalonians 4> people thought they missed the second coming of Jesus (AKA "left behind")

About 66-70 ... Jewish ascetics saw the Jewish revolt against the Romans in 66-70 as the final end-time battle

About 90 ad ... Clement 1 predicted that the world end would occur at any moment.

About 100 ad ... the Montanist movement predicted that Jesus would return sometime during their lifetime and establish the New Jerusalem

About 365 ad ... Hilary of Poitiers, announced that the end would happen that year.

About 375 to 400 ad ... Martin of Tours, a student of Hilary, was convinced that the end would happen sometime before 400 AD.

About 500 AD ... The antipope Hippolytus, Christian academic Sextus Julius Africanus and Irenaeus had predicted Armageddon at about this year.

Apr 6, 793 ... Beatus of Liébana This Spanish monk prophesied the second coming of Christ and the end of the world that day to a crowd of people.

About 799-806 ... Gregory of Tours calculated the End occurring between 799 and 806.

800 ... Sextus Julius Africanus revised the date of Armangeddon to 800.

848 ... Thiota declared that the world would end this year

992-995 ... Good Friday coincided with the Feast of the Annunciation; this had long been believed to be the event that would bring forth the Antichrist, and thus the end-times, within 3 years.

Jan 1, 1000 Pope Sylvester II had predicted the end of the world on this date
(fore father of the even number year predictor)

1033 ... Some believed this to be the 1000th anniversary of the death and resurrection of Jesus, and his second coming was anticipated
(fore father of today's 1000 + something else reign number calculators)

1184 ... Various Christians foresaw the Antichrist coming in 1184.

1186 ... John of Toledo predicted the end of the world during 1186, based on the alignment of many planets.

1284 ...Pope Innocent III predicted that the world would end666 years after the rise of Islam.

1346-51 ... The black plague spreading across Europe was interpreted by many as the sign of the end of times

About 1364 ... Jean de Roquetaillade predicted the Antichrist was to come in 1366 and the Millennium would begin in 1368 or 1370.

1504 ... Sandro Botticelli believed he was living during the Tribulation, and that the Millennium would begin in three and a half years from 1500.

1555 ... Pierre d'Ailly this French theologian wrote that 6845 years of human history had already passed, and the end of the world would be in the 7000th year.
(fore father of the 70 weeks theory of Daniel)

1655 ... Fifth Monarchists predicted the final apocalyptic battle and the destruction of the Antichrist were to take place between 1655 and 1657.

1656 ... Some Christians believed the world would end this year as 1656 is the number of years between Creation and the Great Flood in the bible.

1666 ... The presence of 666 in the date led to predictions of the end of the world.

1688 ... John Napier This mathematician calculated the end of the world would be this year based on calculations from the Book of Revelation.
(Father of the modern day Millemiumist and JW's habit of changing of predictions )

1700 ... John Napier after his 1688 prediction failed to come true, Napier revised his end of the world prediction to this year.

1700–1734 ... Nicholas of Cusa this RC Cardinal predicted the end would occur between 1700 and 1734.

1780 ... New England residents when the sky turning dark during the day was interpreted as a sign of the end times.

1805 ... Rev Christopher Love (a presbyterian minister) predicted the destruction of the world by earthquake in 1805, followed by an age of everlasting peace when God will be known by all.

1836 ... John Wesley the founder of the Methodist Church, foresaw the Millennium beginning this year.

1863 ... John Wroe The founder of the Christian Israelite Church calculated that the Millennium would begin this year.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ Bible Student movement aka JW's ////////////////////////////
1874 ... Charles Taze Russell " founder of the JW's ....The first prediction of the end of the world
1878 ... The second prediction of the end of the world from the Bible Student movement.
1881 ... The third prediction of the end of the world from the Bible Student movement.
1908 ... The fourth prediction of the end of the world from the Bible Student movement.
1914 ... "the battle of the great day of God Almighty… The date of the close of that "battle" is definitely marked in Scripture as October 1914. It is already in progress, its beginning dating from October, 1874."
1916 ... World War I would terminate in Armageddon and the rapture of the "saints".
1918 ... Another prediction of the end from the Bible Student movement.
1920 ... Christendom would go down as a system to oblivion and be succeeded by revolutionary governments. God would "destroy the churches wholesale and the church members by the millions......"

1925 ... Joseph F. Rutherford, ...we may expect 1925 to witness the return of these faithful men of Israel from the condition of death, being resurrected and fully restored to perfect humanity and made the visible, legal representatives of the new order of things on earth"

**1975 ... In 1966 Jehovah's Witnesses estimated it would be 6000 years since man's creation in the fall of 1975 and it would be "appropriate" for Christ's thousand-year reign to begin at that time. These claims were repeated throughout the late 1960s and in 1974 they reaffirmed there was just a short time remaining before "the wicked world's end".

**Oct 2, 1984 ... Another prediction of the end from the Jehovah's Witnesses.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ Worldwide Church of God //////////////////////////
1936 ... Herbert W. Armstrong founder of the Worldwide Church of God told members of his church that the Rapture was to take place in 1936, and that only they would saved. After the prophecy failed, he changed the date three more times.
1943... The first of three revised dates from Armstrong after his 1936 prediction failed to come true.
1972... The second of three revised dates from Armstrong after his 1936 and 1943 predictions failed to come true.
Jan 11-21, 1973... Armstrong's fourth and final false prediction.

Dec 21, 1954... Dorothy Martin predicted the world was to be destroyed by terrible flooding on this date, claimed this leader of a UFO cult called Brotherhood of the Seven Rays. The fallout of the group after the prediction failed was the basis for the 1956 book When Prophecy Fails.

1967... Jim Jones The founder of the Peoples Temple stated he had visions that a nuclear holocaust was to take place in 1967.

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ Hal Lindsey //////////////////////////////////////
1980s... Lindsey book The 1980s: Countdown to Armageddon stated ""the decade of the 1980s could very well be the last decade of history as we know it" and that the U.S. could be "destroyed by a surprise Soviet nuclear attack.". The book strongly suggests that the 1980s would see the biblical events of tribulation and end times come to pass.
1988 ... Lindsey suggested that the Rapture would take this year, reasoning that it was 40 years (one Biblical generation) after Israel gained statehood.

Before' 2000
*Hal Lindsey... Lindsay published the book Planet Earth 2000 A.D. in 1994, which stated that Christians should not plan to still be on earth by the year 2000.

*James Gordon Lindsay ... predicted the tribulation would begin before the year 2000.

*Texe Marrs ... stated that the last days could "wrap up by the year 2000."

*Timothy Dwight IV ... President of Yale University foresaw the Millennium starting by 2000.

*Jehovah's Witnesses ... In 1971, and again in 1984, the Jehovah's Witnesses stated the end would be before the end of the 20th century

Jan 1, 2000
*Jerry Falwell ... foresaw God pouring out his judgement on the world on this day.

*Tim LaHaye, Jerry B. Jenkins ...These Christian authors stated the Y2K bug would trigger global economic chaos, which the Antichrist would use to rise to power. As the date approached however they changed their minds

2001 ... Tynetta Muhammad columnist for the Nation of Islam predicted the end would occur in this year.

Apr 29, 2007 ... Pat Robertson in his 1990 book The New Millennium, Robertson suggests this date as the day of Earth's destruction.

May 21, 2011 ...
* Harold Camping predicted that the rapture and devastating earthquakes would occur on May 21, 2011 with God taking approximately 3% of the world's population into Heaven, and that the end of the world would occur five months later on October 21.

Oct 21, 2011
* Harold Camping revised his prediction and said that on May 21, a "Spiritual Judgment" took place, and that both the physical Rapture and the end of the world would occur on October 21, 2011.

Sep 29, 2011
*Ronald Weinland stated Jesus Christ would return on this day. He prophesied nuclear explosions in U.S. port cities by July of 2008 as the blowing of the Second Trumpet of Revelation. He later changed the date for the return of Jesus Christ to May 27, 2012.

May 27, 2012
*Ronald Weinland stated Jesus Christ would return and the world would end on this day.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Here is a partial list of like-minded people who were so sure...
Where is their Biblical proof? The evidence? The signs?

Let me guess... They didn't have any... THAT'S why they were incorrect. They didn't look to the scriptures and the signs of the times were not evident to what they were saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity