Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the BIBLE be the only standard for truth?
YES 20 28.99%
NO 49 71.01%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 04:10 PM

296 posts, read 239,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
How would one know truth? The only way is to know God and His word, for it is HIs word that is truth. Anything contrary to it is a lie. So there is no reason to go to any other standard if we know for sure that God's word is truth.
No Augie, we have already established the fact that there is indeed truth, only ONE Truth, though, when the discerning of Scripture's throughout the Protestant world are in such great disagreement with one another, you know you have not found the ONE Truth.

That is a simple logical fact!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 05:20 PM

37,342 posts, read 28,405,224 times
Truth by itself can do nothing. It must be applied. Unapplied truth is like a lamp without oil, but applied truth is a lamp whose oil never runs low

Neville Goddard

Old 04-10-2014, 06:07 PM

296 posts, read 239,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Truth by itself can do nothing. It must be applied. Unapplied truth is like a lamp without oil, but applied truth is a lamp whose oil never runs low

Neville Goddard
Absolutely correct. The Truth is worthless unless it is applied and lived.

Truth is missing however, when there is division among those that love and serve God.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:09 AM

1,030 posts, read 843,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel A. Pettinicchio View Post
Until you can come up with names of individuals and specific churches or and in a respectable source, your claims are meaningless and you are kidding yourself.

In order for you to know your claims are accurate you must have documented truth from that respected source I mention.

So let's see it, before you continue to defend something that never existed.
You don't set the rules and you cannot tell me what to do. You have been defending something that never existed on this forum and have presented no respectable source either. If you don't like my post then don't read them. You are not in charge here. Got it?

Old 04-11-2014, 04:26 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,040,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Let's ask it a different way:

Do Christian Fundamentalists have all the answers to questions pertaining to the truth?

Because many of them seem to think they do. I've never heard one fundamentalist on this board say, "You know, you may be right." Or "Gee, I'm not sure about that."
Exactly. Hubris. Certainty. And impossible to teach when you all ready know it all!
Jesus said, "Follow Me" - he did not mention following the bible which did not exist at the time he was walking the earth.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:37 AM

5,965 posts, read 7,040,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thy Kingdom Come View Post
I voted "No"... No one can understand the scriptures apart from Christ opening their eyes to understand them.

Luke 24:45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
I voted no as well. Unless the Holy Spirit opens your understanding, you cannot even understand or rightly divide the scriptures. Nor is it any good to have a man/person teaching you "systematic theology". I remember well when the eyes of my spiritual understanding were opened and I'd been a professing Christian for over 20 years when that occurred. But during those many years, I was always seeking answers and very restless in my heart because so many things did not make sense and so many things deeply troubled my heart. I'd confessed Christ before men, been baptized, read the bible, tried to live for him, but I lacked the peace that passes understanding UNTIL the Holy Spirit opened my spiritual eyes. It is his doing. God is sovereign over that. It's in HIS TIME.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:17 AM

37,342 posts, read 28,405,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Let's ask it a different way:

Do Christian Fundamentalists have all the answers to questions pertaining to the truth?

Because many of them seem to think they do. I've never heard one fundamentalist on this board say, "You know, you may be right." Or "Gee, I'm not sure about that."
This is so true, what they believe is truth is written in the stone of literalism, this is why they quote the book at you, rather than speak by the spirit of what is in the book. Anything outside of their literal thinking of what they assume is truth, is new age mystic liberalism .

Old 04-11-2014, 05:35 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,624,096 times
I voted yes. The Holy Bible is the Gold Standard of Truth.
There are many contributing elements to the proper interpretation,
application and dispensement of Truth over the last 1,984 years since
the Resurrection, however.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:03 PM

225 posts, read 162,610 times
Quote:
=Pleroo;34198554]Why do you think the truth about God could be confined to a book or an organization? Your own bible says about Jesus, whom many Christians believe is God, "And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written."
My dear friend,

You have HALF of it right: [the part about the bible alon
e]

But's let's analyize the second par; Cf. Not NOT POSSIBLY BEING JUST ONE ORGANIZATION

May I ask why Not?

Consider these two facts before I provide further evidence of your position being incorrect.

There is in the OT clearly and indispuitably; [caps for emphasis, not shouting]

Only One God

Only One set of ACCEPTABLE Faith beliefs

And only Once Chosen People: The Hebrew nation / the Jews who are our Brethren.

Exodus 6:7
And I will take you to myself for my people, I will be your God
: and you shall know that I am the Lord your God who brought you out from the work prison of the Egyptians"

Ecclesiasticus 45:21
And he gave him power in his commandments, in the covenants of his judgments, that he should teach Jacob his testimonies, and give light to Israel in his law

Deuteronomy 6:17
Keep the precepts of the Lord thy God, and the testimonies and ceremonies which he hath commanded thee.

Leviticus 22:9
Let them keep my precepts, that they may not fall into sin, and die in the sanctuary, when they shall have defiled it. I am the Lord who sanctify them.

GOD DOES NOT CHANGE

Malach) 3:6
"For I am the Lord, and I change not: ..."

So if Yaweh and Christ ARE ONE as John Testifies they are: John 10:30 "I and the Father are one."

Then My Friend; How can Christ do anything BUT extend this same tradition into the New Covenant?

IF you [or anyone would like further evidence of this FACT; that GOD maintianed throughout HIS ENTIRE BIBLE; One God; One set of faith beliefs, and Only One Church; I will certainly provide it for you.

Only today's Catholic Church dates BACK to the Apostles, to whom Christ gave ALL of the key's to His hevvenly Kingdom This is both historical and biblical FACT my friend.

God Bless you,

IamACatholic
Patrick

Last edited by Miss Blue; 04-20-2014 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: Please do not use the red font as it has been reserved for moderation . Any other color is availabl

Old 04-20-2014, 06:27 PM

64,069 posts, read 40,345,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel A. Pettinicchio View Post
No Augie, we have already established the fact that there is indeed truth, only ONE Truth, though, when the discerning of Scripture's throughout the Protestant world are in such great disagreement with one another, you know you have not found the ONE Truth.
That is a simple logical fact!
Men have confused the issue and conflated specific "precepts and doctrines of men" that divide the faithful . . . AS IF those "precepts and doctrines of men" matter one whit. They do NOT! There IS ONE Truth and that truth is Christ, period . . . NOT what you believe ABOUT Him! He is the Way, the Truth and the Life. The ONLY truth we need is to follow His instructions to His disciples to "love God and each other" daily and repent when we don't. EVERYTHING else that divides His followers is human vanity and hubris!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity