Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: As a Christian, what are your views on evolution?
Evolution is a secular theory put forth to replace the creation account in the Bible 15 19.74%
There is some scientific evidence to support evolution 4 5.26%
Evolution is nothing more than adaptation, that is, the God given ability for life to change/adapt to its environment 24 31.58%
I believe in most/all of the evolution theory 33 43.42%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 12:20 PM

63,966 posts, read 40,253,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I ask for those 29 Christians who voted in support of evolution to post a word to that effect. I am Christian and I believe that God created all that exists. Who else will speak up? Brother and Sister Christians? This should prove interesting.
You seem to be under the mistaken impression that belief in evolution means you don't believe in God or Christ. Nothing could be further from the truth. I believe in God and Christ and I accept evolution theory as established science.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:24 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,252,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
This (the bolding - mine). Talk about believing what you want to believe! I mean seriously. It's some little CD poll. People aren't staking their lives on it and lying because it's just that important. Good gravy.
Paranoia is rampant among fundamentalists. Despite their fevered protestations to the contrary, it's fear that fuels their obdurateness.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:29 PM

12,688 posts, read 6,756,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint heir with jesus View Post
Startling numbers are coming in on Christians who believe in evolution to some degree. What are your personal views AS A CHRISTIAN on evolution?

Please don't vote if you are not a Christian.
The last three options kind of overlap, don't you think?

Evolution is for today's Christian what the geocentric vs heliocentric universe were centuries ago. It's religious dogma vs strong scientific evidence ... and once again, the religious dogma in question is more a product of human invention/interpretation rather than divinely revealed truth from God. I accept that evolution probably happened and that it in no way damages my belief in God.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:31 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,234,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You seem to be under the mistaken impression that belief in evolution means you don't believe in God or Christ. Nothing could be further from the truth. I believe in God and Christ and I accept evolution theory as established science.
Here is one. Thank you my brother.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Paranoia is rampant among fundamentalists. Despite their fevered protestations to the contrary, it's fear that fuels their obdurateness.
You are not a Christian and your vote doesn't count.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
The last three options kind of overlap, don't you think?

Evolution is for today's Christian what the geocentric vs heliocentric universe were centuries ago. It's religious dogma vs strong scientific evidence ... and once again, the religious dogma in question is more a product of human invention/interpretation rather than divinely revealed truth from God. I accept that evolution probably happened and that it in no way damages my belief in God.
Thank you for your post and I am glad that you believe in God, but are you a Christian?

Old 04-14-2014, 12:42 PM

17,966 posts, read 16,002,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
If you do, don't most evolutionary scientists say evolution took millions or billions of years to occur? And if that is the case, since the first eon ended in Genesis 1:1 to 1:2 when the earth became chaos and vacant/sterile and the second eon began in Genesis 1:2, how could any human or animal evolve from simpler forms in less than 6,000 years?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
They couldn't, which proves what the Bible is incorrect.

It really is that simple, no liberal interpretations of "eons" necessary.
I'm curious if you are atheist or agnostic or consider yourself a Christian?

No, it actually proves the Bible is correct. There are only so many generations from Christ to Adam. There are only a certain amount of generations from Noah to Adam. So we know how many years it was from Adam to Christ. It wasn't millions of years.

We know the earth is at least millions of years old. Since there can't be millions of years from Adam to Christ, where did the millions of years come from? It didn't come from nowhere. If we use our intelligence, which I think you are all for as well, the millions of years had to occur prior to Adam being created. The only place in the bible for a possible millions of years is from Genesis 1:1 to 1:2.

All you are not actually proving anything by saying what you said above. It is just a statement by you and you expect us to take you at your word based on your authority with no proof.

If you look at this chart of the eons starting from left to right you will notice Genesis 1:2 under the vertical word "Disruption." That eon is where your possible millions of years come from. Then from the Disruption to the Flood is no more than a thousand years. From the Flood to today's "Present Eon" is roughly 4 to 5 thousand years. So you only have 6,000 years for evolution to work.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:48 PM

17,966 posts, read 16,002,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD
Evolution is against what Christ said:

Mat_19:4 Now He, answering, said, "Did you not read that the Maker from the beginning makes them male and female,
Mar_10:6 Yet from the beginning of creation God makes them male and female.

Notice that Christ never said, "Well it's kind of like this: First there were single celled amoebas and God, by some sort of magic turned them into fish and by magic turned those fish into lizards so they could walk on land and then by magic turned them into chimps or ape-like critters and, badaboom badabing! we now have Adam and Eve!"

No, from the BEGINNING OF CREATION GOD MAKES THEM MALE AND FEMALE.

Or are you willing to say Jesus was deceived?

Old 04-14-2014, 12:56 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,072,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Evolution is against what Christ said:

Mat_19:4 Now He, answering, said, "Did you not read that the Maker from the beginning makes them male and female,
Mar_10:6 Yet from the beginning of creation God makes them male and female.
Well let's face it, Jesus was not a scientist. He was going off the dogma he'd been taught. He was a good, obedient Jew and would not have argued that the Torah was wrong, in fact he often referenced the Torah in his teachings, as you've shown here.

But a scientist, he was not. And even if he'd been a scientist of his time, he still would have lacked the enormous quantity of knowledge we have amassed since that time.

By the way, you asked whether I'm atheist/agnostic...you have asked me this before...yes, I am an agnostic - well, on an expansive day. Generally, I do not believe in God at all.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:58 PM

12,688 posts, read 6,756,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Thank you for your post and I am glad that you believe in God, but are you a Christian?
Yes I'm definitely Christian ... unless you ask a Trinitarian purist of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity