Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 03:42 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,972,754 times

Advertisements

New evidence for the antiquity of the tradition associating Mt. Ararat in Turkey with the landing place of Noah’s Ark comes to us in the form of a unique coin on display at the Israel Museum. This large bronze medallion was struck 1700 years ago at Apameia Kibotos in Asia Minor (modern Turkey) near the mountains of Ararat where, it is said, Noah’s Ark came to rest after the flood.
This coin, depicting the events of the story of Noah’s Ark related in Genesis 6–8, is the only coin-type known to bear a Biblical scene.
Apameia Kibotos was a Phrygian city established by Antiochus I (280–261 B.C.) who named it after his mother, Apameia. At that time, there were at least two other cities in the region named Apameia, one in Bithynia (northern Turkey) and the other in Syria. The addition of the word kibotos, which means “ark” in Greek, differentiates this particular Apameia from the others. An Ancient Coin Depicts Noah’s Ark | The BAS Library

Notice Noah is named as "Noe". The coin shows Noah and wife leaving the ship and a dove on top of the ship. This coin was minted in Greek controlled Turkey.

Other coins minted by the same folks concerning Noah's ark show two doves, one on top of the ark and one bringing back an olive branch.

If you find other historic things related to the Ark, please post it.

Last edited by Eusebius; 04-22-2014 at 03:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 04:06 AM

In Flavius Josephus' time (1st-century A.D.) the Ark of Noah was well-known, because he mentions it in Antiquities of the Jews. The famous Jewish historian stated, "Its remains are shown there by the inhabitants to this day."He quotes Berosus the Chaldean, c. 290 BC, who indicated tourists would take home pieces of the ark for making good-luck charms, "It is said there is still some part of this ship in Armenia, at the mountain of the Cordyaeans; and that some people carry off pieces of the bitumen, which they take away, and use chiefly as amulets for the averting of mischiefs."

Old 04-22-2014, 10:55 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
This may be unique in Israel, but in fact there are other examples of this Phrygian coin with the Noah's ark design.

NOAH AND THE ARK ON ANCIENT COINS -- The American Israel Numismatic Association

This one shown in line drawing was issued in the reign of Septimus Severus- some time after the Jewish War.

I read that the city was staffed with Jews in the time of Antiochus. They were in administrative positions and, upon hearing that Mount Ararat was quite near, they thought it appropriate to stamp the Noachian Bible -story on the coin. This was a popular and regular design up into the Mid -Roman empire.

It is of course, testimony to the need to point to historic remains indicating evidence for mythical events, whether Buddha's footprints, Athur's Camelot of Noah's Ark. It is no testimony to the truth of it.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:54 AM

• Berosus extracted from Abydenus
The history of a Chaldean priest named Berosus has been preserved in a number of later sources still extant. The Greek historian Abydenus, who probably lived around 200 B.C., was one of those who recounted Berosus’ history. Abydenus relates regarding the Ark of Noah: “With respect to the vessel, which yet remains in Armenia, it is a custom of the inhabitants to form bracelets and amulets of its wood.”

• Berosus extracted from Alexander Polyhistor
Another fragment from Berosus was preserved by the historian Alexander Polyhistor, who flourished in the first half of the first century B.C. He noted that:

“…the vessel was driven to the side of a mountain…” and “…the vessel, being thus stranded in Armenia, some part of it yet remains in the Gordyaean mountains in Armenia; and the people scrape off the bitumen, with which it had been outwardly coated, and make use of it by way of an alexipharmic and amulet.”

• Benjamin of Tudela
A Medieval Jewish traveller, writing in the 12th century, records that he travelled two days to an island in the Tigris on the foot of Mt. Ararat on which the ark rested. As Crouse and Franz record: “Omar Ben al-Khatab removed the Ark from the summit of the two mountains and made a mosque of it…”

• Various authors extracted from Josephus
Finally, for the purposes of this argument, the Jewish historian Josephus refers to numerous historical sources which attest that the Ark was freely accessible and indeed venerated in their times:

"However, the Armenians call this place, The Place of Descent; for the ark being saved in that place, its remains are shown there by the inhabitants to this day…”

“Now all the writers of barbarian histories make mention of this flood, and of this ark; among whom is Berosus the Chaldean. For when he is describing the circumstances of the flood, he goes on thus: "It is said there is still some part of this ship in Armenia, at the mountain of the Cordyaeans; and that some people carry off pieces of the bitumen, which they take away, and use chiefly as amulets for the averting of mischiefs." Hieronymus the Egyptian also, who wrote the Phoenician Antiquities, and Mnaseas, and a great many more, make mention of the same. Nay, Nicolaus of Damascus, in his ninety-sixth book, hath a particular relation about them; where he speaks thus: "There is a great mountain in Armenia, over Minyas, called Baris [i.e. a ship], upon which it is reported that many who fled at the time of the Deluge were saved; and that one who was carried in an ark came on shore upon the top of it; and that the remains of the timber were a great while preserved."

Old 04-22-2014, 02:46 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,530,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
In Flavius Josephus' time (1st-century A.D.) the Ark of Noah was well-known, because he mentions it in Antiquities of the Jews. The famous Jewish historian stated, "Its remains are shown there by the inhabitants to this day."He quotes Berosus the Chaldean, c. 290 BC, who indicated tourists would take home pieces of the ark for making good-luck charms, "It is said there is still some part of this ship in Armenia, at the mountain of the Cordyaeans; and that some people carry off pieces of the bitumen, which they take away, and use chiefly as amulets for the averting of mischiefs."
eusebius 2
mensaguy 0

Old 04-23-2014, 06:10 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Apart from one historian reporting what another one had said, and it seems to come down to Berosus, a Mesopotamian writer who seems to have used the Babylonian flood story just as the bible-writers did, we have these reports of people seeing the Ark and bringing back bits of it.

I had a look at some of these accounts and they cannot agree whether it was a speck up beyond the snowline or something accessible where the locals could bring back bits of it, or indeed whether (it turning out to be rock), it was claimed that it had turned to stone. It seems that Mr. Durupinar was not the first to note that the rock outcrop at the foot of the mountain looked vaguely boat -shaped.

There was also a report that the Ark was brought down and turned into a mosque, but I imagine that will be dismissed by the Ark - enthusiasts as much as by me.

Since we are apparently trying to win the argument by points seen to be scored, I have to observe that (since scoring points on evidence in not allowed, only on historical accounts - which includes coins, apparently - iintended to somehow 'prove' the Ark is real) the score seems to be Arkeologists half a point, doubters,1 and a half.

P.s Of course I will be told I cannot decide who won a point. Nor can anyone else. It is a matter of making a case, not totting up points however you can wangle them.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 04-23-2014 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: a parseing tidy -up

Old 04-23-2014, 06:17 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post

New evidence for the antiquity of the tradition associating Mt. Ararat in Turkey with the landing place of Noah’s Ark comes to us in the form of a unique coin on display at the Israel Museum. This large bronze medallion was struck 1700 years ago at Apameia Kibotos in Asia Minor (modern Turkey) near the mountains of Ararat where, it is said, Noah’s Ark came to rest after the flood.
This coin, depicting the events of the story of Noah’s Ark related in Genesis 6–8, is the only coin-type known to bear a Biblical scene.
Apameia Kibotos was a Phrygian city established by Antiochus I (280–261 B.C.) who named it after his mother, Apameia. At that time, there were at least two other cities in the region named Apameia, one in Bithynia (northern Turkey) and the other in Syria. The addition of the word kibotos, which means “ark” in Greek, differentiates this particular Apameia from the others. An Ancient Coin Depicts Noah’s Ark | The BAS Library

Notice Noah is named as "Noe". The coin shows Noah and wife leaving the ship and a dove on top of the ship. This coin was minted in Greek controlled Turkey.

Other coins minted by the same folks concerning Noah's ark show two doves, one on top of the ark and one bringing back an olive branch.

If you find other historic things related to the Ark, please post it.
Although I believe in the story of the ark, you can't use a coin struck after the time of Jesus as proof it happened. They could have made it commemorating the event out of scripture.

It's like someone digging around Southern California thousands of years from now, finding a coin made at Disneyland and declaring Mickey Mouse was a real person.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Although I believe in the story of the ark, you can't use a coin struck after the time of Jesus as proof it happened. They could have made it commemorating the event out of scripture.

It's like someone digging around Southern California thousands of years from now, finding a coin made at Disneyland and declaring Mickey Mouse was a real person.
No, but it would prove Disneyland was a real place.

This thread is not about picking apart historic evidence OF Noah's Ark. It is only about historic evidence of Noah's Ark. People are free to post their findings in this thread. Remember, this thread is not about whether or not Noah's Ark existed but about any historic evidence of Noah's Ark. Thank you.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Apart from one historian reporting what another one had said, and it seems to come down to Berosus, a Mesopotamian writer who seems to have used the Babylonian flood story just as the bible-writers did, we have these reports of people seeing the Ark and bringing back bits of it.

I had a look at some of these accounts and they cannot agree whether it was a speck up beyond the snowline or something accessible where the locals could bring back bits of it, or indeed whether (it turning out to be rock), it was claimed that it had turned to stone. It seems that Mr. Durupinar was not the first to note that the rock outcrop at the foot of the mountain looked vaguely boat -shaped.

There was also a report that the Ark was brought down and turned into a mosque, but I imagine that will be dismissed by the Ark - enthusiasts as much as by me.

Since we are apparently trying to win the argument by points seen to be scored, I have to observe that (since scoring points on evidence, only on historical accounts - which includes coins, apparently - is intended to somehow 'prove' the Ark is real) the score seems to be Arkeologists half a point, doubters,1 and a half.

P.s Of course I will be told I cannot decide who won a point. Nor can anyone else. It is a matter of making a case, not totting up points however you can wangle them.
This thread is not about whether or not an ancient writer was correct or not. It is about ANY HISTORIC EVIDENCE OF NOAH'S ARK.

How many times do I have to repeat this? If you want to disprove historic accounts, start your own thread.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:32 AM

"The Jewish historian Josephus refers to numerous historical sources which attest that the Ark was freely accessible and indeed venerated in their times:
"However, the Armenians call this place, The Place of Descent; for the ark being saved in that place, its remains are shown there by the inhabitants to this day…”

Now all the writers of barbarian histories make mention of this flood, and of this ark; among whom is Berosus the Chaldean. For when he is describing the circumstances of the flood, he goes on thus: "It is said there is still some part of this ship in Armenia, at the mountain of the Cordyaeans; and that some people carry off pieces of the bitumen, which they take away, and use chiefly as amulets for the averting of mischiefs." Hieronymus the Egyptian also, who wrote the Phoenician Antiquities, and Mnaseas, and a great many more, make mention of the same. Nay, Nicolaus of Damascus, in his ninety-sixth book, hath a particular relation about them; where he speaks thus: "There is a great mountain in Armenia, over Minyas, called Baris [i.e. a ship], upon which it is reported that many who fled at the time of the Deluge were saved; and that one who was carried in an ark came on shore upon the top of it; and that the remains of the timber were a great while preserved."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity