Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2014, 10:15 AM

1,606 posts, read 1,253,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
Why does God appear to 'tell' lots of other people completely different and often contradictory things?
I'm glad you used the word 'appear', because God does not contradict Himself. The issue is that people have sinful desires and they believe a lie. There is only one truth.

Take a look at the story of Adam and Eve in Genesis.

In Genesis 3:1, Satan asks Eve a question, one that might sound familiar from the ones around this forum...
Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the Lord God had made. He said to the woman, “Did God really say, ‘You must not eat from any tree in the garden’?
We know in Verse 6 that the fruit was 'good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable'. Eve desired the fruit, so she rejected what God had said and believed what would allow her to have her sinful desires. But look back at Chapter 2, verse 16...
And the Lord God commanded... “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die.”
I can just imagine a forum user named Eve making a thread titled 'Should we eat this delicious fruit?' and giving arguments to prove God did not say or mean what He actually said. But we know He did, it's right there in Chapter 2!

In this same way, many people have desired something other than what God wants and have twisted and perverted God's Word to conform to their desires, instead of accepting the truth of God's will.

I love God, and have committed my life to following Him, but I am not some brainless worshiper, doing everything out of naivety. God gave me a brain, and logic and common sense, so that I might read His Word and understand what He is saying, because it truly is black and white.

This is not to say that I am perfect, far from it, but I know the difference between a doctrinal misunderstanding backed up by the whole of Scripture and a lie being driven by the perversion of a few verses, which is the common method of creating false doctrines.

I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 10:56 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,161,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
Why does God appear to 'tell' lots of other people completely different and often contradictory things?
It's all in the interpretation. If Church A disagrees with Church B and you attend Church A.... you're right, the people in Church B are wrong (and need to be corrected) and the people sitting at home on Sunday mornings enjoying football are all going to the bad place.

(Someone will be along shortly to tell me I'm wrong. And in need of correction. )

Old 08-26-2014, 11:12 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,587,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
It's all in the interpretation. If Church A disagrees with Church B and you attend Church A.... you're right, the people in Church B are wrong (and need to be corrected) and the people sitting at home on Sunday mornings enjoying football are all going to the bad place.

(Someone will be along shortly to tell me I'm wrong. And in need of correction. )
Not me, I think you are bang on. It is too bad that most people can't respect how others believe and have to fundamentally try and force others to believe exactly as they do... all by saying but, but, but that is what God said. Got a problem, take it up with God - I am just doing his(her) work.

Bloody hypocrites all of them.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:18 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,385,854 times
Quote:

You are wrong and in need of correction.

I do not watch football on Sunday mornings. I do laundry.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:31 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,387,358 times
Quote:

You are right in one respect. When men "interpret" scripture you get a LOT of interpretations. When we let Scripture interpret itself, you don't.

Old 08-26-2014, 01:34 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,387,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
Not me, I think you are bang on. It is too bad that most people can't respect how others believe and have to fundamentally try and force others to believe exactly as they do... all by saying but, but, but that is what God said. Got a problem, take it up with God - I am just doing his(her) work.

Bloody hypocrites all of them.
Yep, why on earth did Jesus call those Pharisees hypocrites and condemn them just for teaching their traditions??? Of course he did not force them to change, but he told them what would happen if they didn't.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:27 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,642,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
I'm glad you used the word 'appear', because God does not contradict Himself. The issue is that people have sinful desires and they believe a lie. There is only one truth.

Take a look at the story of Adam and Eve in Genesis.

In Genesis 3:1, Satan asks Eve a question, one that might sound familiar from the ones around this forum...
Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the Lord God had made. He said to the woman, “Did God really say, ‘You must not eat from any tree in the garden’?
We know in Verse 6 that the fruit was 'good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable'. Eve desired the fruit, so she rejected what God had said and believed what would allow her to have her sinful desires. But look back at Chapter 2, verse 16...
And the Lord God commanded... “You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat from it you will certainly die.”
I can just imagine a forum user named Eve making a thread titled 'Should we eat this delicious fruit?' and giving arguments to prove God did not say or mean what He actually said. But we know He did, it's right there in Chapter 2!

In this same way, many people have desired something other than what God wants and have twisted and perverted God's Word to conform to their desires, instead of accepting the truth of God's will.

I love God, and have committed my life to following Him, but I am not some brainless worshiper, doing everything out of naivety. God gave me a brain, and logic and common sense, so that I might read His Word and understand what He is saying, because it truly is black and white.

This is not to say that I am perfect, far from it, but I know the difference between a doctrinal misunderstanding backed up by the whole of Scripture and a lie being driven by the perversion of a few verses, which is the common method of creating false doctrines.

I hope this helps.
If the Bible is truly "black and white" do you believe there was ever a talking snake?

Old 08-26-2014, 04:22 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,047,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
You are right in one respect. When men "interpret" scripture you get a LOT of interpretations. When we let Scripture interpret itself, you don't.
This is a meaningless platitude. It is an impossibility. Words "written in ink" can interpret nothing. It takes a Spirit (consciousness) to do that. The Spirit that we should use to interpret scripture is the Spirit of God who IS agape love and was demonstrated unambiguously by Christ. The "mind of Christ"(human consciousness of Christ) IS the "mind of God" (consciousness of God) and that IS the Holy Spirit of agape love. There is only one interpretation of scripture that is truth and that is whatever is compatible with agape love. If it is NOT compatible with agape love . . . it is NOT from God or Jesus, period. It is the "precepts and doctrines of men."

Old 08-26-2014, 10:00 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,253,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
If the Bible is truly "black and white" do you believe there was ever a talking snake?
Of course, why wouldn't I?

Old 08-26-2014, 10:29 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,172,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
Of course, why wouldn't I?
Yes, silly question, wasn't it?

Everybody believes in talking snakes.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity