Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 01:12 PM

88,860 posts, read 85,293,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
OK, but that is not the God of the Bible.

It is a God many create to allow them to do and believe as they wish.
Yes, the "the God of the Bible" is man's dim view of something so divine that mere man can not adequately describe it, yet we still try. Your second sentence is meant as an insult, I get that, but it's kind of a childish slur, no? And it's not true.

If you don't believe in a God of love and compassion and justice, why do you believe? For a reason to act unkind? An excuse to hate? That is sad, and I cannot relate to it. To me, God is Love. If that's not true, then I don't want to believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 01:42 PM

64,015 posts, read 40,319,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, the "the God of the Bible" is man's dim view of something so divine that mere man can not adequately describe it, yet we still try. Your second sentence is meant as an insult, I get that, but it's kind of a childish slur, no? And it's not true.

If you don't believe in a God of love and compassion and justice, why do you believe? For a reason to act unkind? An excuse to hate? That is sad, and I cannot relate to it. To me, God is Love. If that's not true, then I don't want to believe.
Well said, MQ. Too few people seem to have any standards about what kind of God they will love. It is almost as if they are too frightened NOT to love whatever God exists. I cannot understand such thinking. How could God NOT truly be worth loving and believing? If He isn't . . . He isn't God . . . or He is non-existent. The God some people seem willing to love resembles a capricious devil or demon more than a God.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:25 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,277,958 times
Moderator cut: quoted post deleted

You watch a lot of melodramas, don't you? I mean, between bouts of hollering.

Last edited by mensaguy; 09-09-2014 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: Almost orphaned

Old 09-09-2014, 07:52 AM

101 posts, read 86,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
That doesn't answer my question about the church gossips. You know. All those people who have said "Yes" to Jesus but continue to be gossiping sinners. But that's OK. I didn't expect one. I know fundamentalists would rather talk about gays being sinners than the people eating donuts in the church basement being sinners.
I can't speak for all who claim to be Christian but for those I am around, the recognition that we are all sinners is a given. Just because someones sin is different does not make them below or above us. We are all the same with the exception of our status in Christ Jesus. While I know that homosexual acts are a sin, just like any other sin, the person committing those acts are just sinners the same as I. I have received forgiveness of my sin and strive to do as Jesus instructed and "sin no more" but without Him, all I am is a sinner. Of course eating a doughnut is and never was a sin, overeating is. So is cheating in business, speeding in your car, taking anything that is not yours, abusing children, murdering, and homosexual acts. It's all sin.

What brings the focus on some sin's over others is that some want to declare the sin is not a sin but is somehow approved by God. When you do that we must correct it and not allow that falsehood to deceive any. As Jesus said, the "truth shall set you free".

Of course we could mention how when you expose someone's sin they do as children and point out what someone else has done wrong as if that somehow makes their sin not so bad. We should all grow out of that childish behavior. Although it is the easy thing to do.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:14 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,393,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisW View Post
While I know that homosexual acts are a sin, just like any other sin
And therein lies the egregious and malicious horror that is religion. You can not defend or substantiate the claim there is anything wrong about homosexual acts. You just "know" it to be so or... since that is what this thread is about.... one simply takes ones pastors word for it.

The question "What does YOUR Pastor say about it?" is not specific enough. We know many pastors call it "sin" or "wrong" or "immoral" or "bad" or "evil" or whatever. When many of us ask "What does YOUR Pastor say about it?" we are not asking for THAT. We know that already.

No, what we are asking for is "What does YOUR Pastor say about it?" after that blanket assertion. How does he substantiate the assertion? What substance does it have? What are the foundations of his opinion on the matter. "What does YOUR Pastor say about it?"

And alas when I ask THAT question I get essentially the same response as your post. These people just "know" it to be wrong or bad or evil or sin. No explanation offered or required it seems. Forgive me for suspecting the lack of explanation stems solely from them simply not having one to offer in the first place.

Quote:
What brings the focus on some sin's over others is that some want to declare the sin is not a sin but is somehow approved by God.
And why should they not? You have simply DECLARED it to be sin. Just a blanket assertion/declaration. So why not have another group simply DECLARING it to be the opposite? If all we are doing is DECLARING things whenever the neurotic desire to do so pops into our heads.... how is their declaration any more or less valid or useful or informative as your own?

You can throw out the line "The Truth shall set you free" as if it adds something to your argument. But so can they. Just as easily. Just as often. And with just as much validity (that is to say: none).

To me NEITHER of you is valid or useful or informative. Sitting down and actually adumbrating and then expounding upon the merits and demerits of the topic itself is.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
And therein lies the egregious and malicious horror that is religion. You can not defend or substantiate the claim there is anything wrong about homosexual acts. You just "know" it to be so or... since that is what this thread is about.... one simply takes ones pastors word for it.

The question "What does YOUR Pastor say about it?" is not specific enough. We know many pastors call it "sin" or "wrong" or "immoral" or "bad" or "evil" or whatever. When many of us ask "What does YOUR Pastor say about it?" we are not asking for THAT. We know that already.

No, what we are asking for is "What does YOUR Pastor say about it?" after that blanket assertion. How does he substantiate the assertion? What substance does it have? What are the foundations of his opinion on the matter. "What does YOUR Pastor say about it?"

And alas when I ask THAT question I get essentially the same response as your post. These people just "know" it to be wrong or bad or evil or sin. No explanation offered or required it seems. Forgive me for suspecting the lack of explanation stems solely from them simply not having one to offer in the first place.

And why should they not? You have simply DECLARED it to be sin. Just a blanket assertion/declaration. So why not have another group simply DECLARING it to be the opposite? If all we are doing is DECLARING things whenever the neurotic desire to do so pops into our heads.... how is their declaration any more or less valid or useful or informative as your own?

You can throw out the line "The Truth shall set you free" as if it adds something to your argument. But so can they. Just as easily. Just as often. And with just as much validity (that is to say: none).

To me NEITHER of you is valid or useful or informative. Sitting down and actually adumbrating and then expounding upon the merits and demerits of the topic itself is.
I don't expect you to understand and be able to discuss Christian doctrine.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
I don't expect you to understand and be able to discuss Christian doctrine.
The "I will not answer because you will not understand" twice in two posts? Really?

You can either answer my post, or you can not, but do not use what you make up about me as a person as an excuse for your copping out of my reply.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
The "I will not answer because you will not understand" twice in two posts? Really?

You can either answer my post, or you can not, but do not use what you make up about me as a person as an excuse for your copping out of my reply.
OK, have a good day!

Old 09-09-2014, 08:57 AM

So your answer is you will not be answering my post then? Or are you suggesting you will be doing so tomorrow but not today? It is not clear from your response.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
So your answer is you will not be answering my post then? Or are you suggesting you will be doing so tomorrow but not today? It is not clear from your response.
I will not be discussing anything with you. Hope that is clear enough for you. Goodbye!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity