Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2014, 05:31 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,412,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
Just read any thread in this Christian forum and you'll have proof that Christians interpret the Bible differently according to their personal beliefs and opinions.
Usually by taking it out of context, using a poor translation or simply twisting it to fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 05:32 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
You will now be stoned by some for actually daring to repeat what the Bible says.
Not by me.

People reveal a lot about themselves when they quote the bible.

And it's not always pretty. But it is educational.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Not by me.

People reveal a lot about themselves when they quote the bible.

And it's not always pretty. But it is educational.
And how some react to what it says is also revealing and not always pretty.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:53 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,203,094 times
Quote:
And how some react to what it says is also revealing and not always pretty.
Indeed.

Perspective is everything.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:09 PM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
You will now be stoned by some for actually daring to repeat what the Bible says.
Actually, no--"hate the sin, love the sinner" is from Gandhi's autobiography.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Actually, no--"hate the sin, love the sinner" is from Gandhi's autobiography.
True, but it is also a Biblical principle, as we are all sinners and we are told to love one another, our neighbor, our enemies and well; everyone.

We still hate sin.

Old 08-31-2014, 06:31 PM

88,618 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
It is perfectly fine for anyone to question or challenge. But when plain scripture, needing no interpretation is shown, then that settles what the Bible teaches. Using a term like fundamentalist is pointless as such covers a wide and diverse group including Jesus. Those who twist or add to scripture, take it out of context, translate in violation of grammar and similar are the problem. Then of course are the modern gnorant barbarian egotists who claim their own inspiration is superior to scripture.
But wait--non-literalists feel that literalists are the ones taking it out of context.

The context is that Leviticus is written in a time and place and culture where the actual people writing the laws, whomever they were, obviously thought male homosexual relations were unacceptable.

Now, some people believe that those words were given to those people directly from God to write down, and other people believe that the law-givers, in their honest desire to set down what they thought were the best rules for their society, included their own prejudices when writing down the laws.

It is very difficult for the people who believe the former to accept that others can believe the latter yet still believe in and worship God. But they do.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:13 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,929,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It is very difficult for the people who believe the former to accept that others can believe the latter yet still believe in and worship God. But they do.

Old 09-01-2014, 12:47 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
Oh they don't?
So if I say:
I am eating an apple.
It says something different than:
Estoy comiendo una manzana.
Please explain. I am very curious to this logic of how we can't know the meaning of words in other languages. I actually speak Hebrew, Spanish and English so this is very interesting to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
If I say:
I am making a commitment.
Which of these means the same:
Estoy hacer a compromiso.
Voy a compromiso.
What does compromiso mean?
Yo, JJ! Where did you go?

Old 09-01-2014, 02:16 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,782,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
To get back on topic here, we should love all but that we hate sin. Homosexuality is an abomination as would heterosexual affairs, we should hate the sin love the sinner.
Seeing as "abomination" doesn't actually exist in the original scripture, nor does "homosexuality", I'm not exactly sure why you think that's the case.

Perhaps you need to stop clinging to a botched English translation.

And for the record, "Hate the Sin, Love the Sinner" was coined by Gandhi. It's not Biblical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity