Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2014, 06:37 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,249,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Some people do not want to follow God. They want it their way. Elevating themselves to equality with God.
Yeah!

Those gosh darn Fundamentalists - thinking they know their God's mind!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 06:38 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,247,576 times
Quote:
Some people do not want to follow God. They want it their way. Elevating themselves to equality with God.
I've yet to meet one person who believes in God.... who thinks he/she is God's equal.

Wait. I've thought about it and realized I was wrong. Yes I do. The people who judge. Churches are full of them. They obviously believe they're God's equal since they're proclaiming who is going to hell, who is full of sin, who is using the wrong version of the Bible, which denominations are in error. Wash. Rinse. Repeat and judge some more.

Sorry. Brain fog. This thread is full of examples of people who have decided they can judge the LGBT community.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 08-30-2014 at 07:05 PM..

Old 08-30-2014, 07:00 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,453,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I've yet to meet one person who believes in God.... who thinks he/she is God's equal.
When they say the Bible is wrong and they know better, when they say a sin is not a sin according to scripture, they are elevating themselves to the position of equality with God. It is either their word or God's and they believe their own. Kinda like the pharisees who Jesus said made the word of God invalid by ...... their own word. Obviously nothing new is happening, just the same thing Jesus pointed out..

Old 08-30-2014, 07:09 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,453,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

Wait. I've thought about it and realized I was wrong. Yes I do. The people who judge. Churches are full of them. They obviously believe they're God's equal since they're proclaiming who is going to hell, who is full of sin, who is in the wrong church, who is using the wrong version of the Bible.

Sorry. Brain fog. This thread is full of examples of people who have decided they can judge the LGBT community.
Now I will agree that those who judge others as going to hell on an individual basis are equating themselves to God.

However those who simply point to what the Biblical standard is for various sins are not. A vast difference.

Obviously murder is a sin. A murderer can change and stop killing, repent and accept Jesus and not be adversely judged by God. But if he keeps killing, he stands condemned at that time by his own actions. Christians just acknowledge that.

Thus any practicing murderer is self condemned.

Any practicing homosexual is self condemned.

Now if one rejects Scripture, why do they care what others believe?

Old 08-30-2014, 07:21 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,247,576 times
Quote:

Now if one rejects Scripture, why do they care what others believe?
Simple. In the case of atheists they want to share their opinions, maybe find out what makes believers tick.

Hopefully you know not everyone interprets scripture the same way. You may think someone has rejected scripture when all they're rejected is the fundamentalists' beliefs about scripture.

Why.... do you want them to go away? A fundamentalist made a post this morning that he wanted me to go away. Lol. Boy, is he going to be disappointed.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:21 PM

20,444 posts, read 12,829,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't dismiss any part of scripture. I just don't believe everything in it is the inerrant Word of God. It's often ABOUT God, or TO God, but it's not God. It is a collection of writings, important and sacred to the Christian faith, but not God and not the only way to God.

But note--you are doing above exactly what I pointed out is the problem--demonstrating an inability to have the conversation without biblical reference. See what i mean?

Please note, I'm not trying to bait you, just asking that you open your eyes a little to the idea that God is bigger than what can be contained in the pages of a book.

Just a suggestion. Try an experiment. Put the book down, say for a week. There will be plenty of it to take in your head, since you've likely studied it as we all do. But try to live your faith by watching and listening for God in other ways than leafing through the pages for some phrase or quote to strike you. I guarantee you will find new ways of hearing and seeing "the Word".

Peace.
I don't doubt that God is bigger than what is contained in Scripture, but Scripture is what He's given us. Personal opinions that conflict with Scripture are dangerous. The Spirit will never disagree with Scripture.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Translated: Common sense is for other people.
You offer nothing but degrading remarks. No substance.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:25 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,409,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
For a third time, you ignore my points. Do you not weigh evidence to make decisions? Do you not justify your beliefs with logic and reasoning? Do you believe that a theory of moon-cheese is as equally valid as a theory of moon-rock simply because someone believes it to be true? It's illogical.

The reason you refuse to answer is because it would require you to make an informed decision instead of blanketing all beliefs as valid.
Again, you completely miss the point that other people read the same Bible as you and claim that the same God speaks to them. Yet you all have different views (some only slightly different, others very different), and you all think you are right and know 'The Truth".

How do you not see this?

Last edited by Ceist; 08-30-2014 at 07:46 PM..

Old 08-30-2014, 07:30 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,249,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You offer nothing but degrading remarks. No substance.
I am unsurprised you are immune to my wisdom.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I am unsurprised you are immune to my wisdom.
Seriously, your remarks have no substance. Just bashing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity