Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 03:54 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,465,080 times

Advertisements

If you go Saturdays, you should be ok. No need to feel the guilt. That is a burden that need not be. If you go every other Saturday, no big deal. How is your daily life? That is more important than the day you choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 06:37 PM

12,393 posts, read 8,173,834 times
That large denomination which claims that there is a weekly obligation to attend holds Saturday evening services and say it meets that obligation.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:10 PM

635 posts, read 755,477 times
Thank you everyone! Very kind words and positive posts throughout this thread.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:51 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,196,220 times
I just don't understand the entire Saturday/Sunday debate. Christ warned us to avoid legalism, after all.

So let's take a fireman or an emergency room doctor, professions that require you to work long shifts on Sunday. So if those people attend church on Saturday or even Friday night, are they condemned by God for worshipping Him on the wrong day of the week, even though their duties to help others require working on the Sabbath? That's just complete nonsense.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:38 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,689,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUGal View Post
I work retail and sometimes my schedule only allows me to attend church on Saturday nights. However, I feel guilty for not going on Sunday. In your opinion, does it really matter the date you attend service?
Wednesday night was always my favorite. I prefer the bible study format over Sunday sermons.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:03 AM

101 posts, read 86,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I just don't understand the entire Saturday/Sunday debate. Christ warned us to avoid legalism, after all.

So let's take a fireman or an emergency room doctor, professions that require you to work long shifts on Sunday. So if those people attend church on Saturday or even Friday night, are they condemned by God for worshipping Him on the wrong day of the week, even though their duties to help others require working on the Sabbath? That's just complete nonsense.
Well of course not. There is no set day for gathering together for the body of Christ today. There is no Sabbath today for the body of Christ.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:15 AM

6,822 posts, read 6,642,155 times
Considering the Sabbath is traditionally from sundown Friday evening to sundown Saturday evening, to attempt to "keep the Sabbath" by having Church on Saturday night isn't biblically accurate either. Friday evening or Saturday morning would make more sense, but keep in mind that if one wants to try and "keep the Sabbath", the concept goes far beyond attending Church on Saturdays. Every time you turn on your car you ignite your spark plug and are kindling a fire which is of course forbidden under Judeo-Christian Law.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:40 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,762,059 times
I think if it wasn't okay then the church would not hold mass on Saturdays. If the church is holding services on Saturday, then it means they think it's fine.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:07 PM

12,393 posts, read 8,173,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleynj View Post
I think if it wasn't okay then the church would not hold mass on Saturdays. If the church is holding services on Saturday, then it means they think it's fine.
Not quite "the church" as they refer to themselves holds Mass everyday. However the Saturday evening Mass can be attended in lieu of the Sunday Mass to meet their weekly obligation to attend, where as a Monday Mass would not satisfy the requirement as they see it..

Old 09-10-2014, 04:35 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,062,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUGal View Post
I work retail and sometimes my schedule only allows me to attend church on Saturday nights. However, I feel guilty for not going on Sunday. In your opinion, does it really matter the date you attend service?
Then you are completing a Mitzvah...Shabbat has always been and will always be on Saturday...But, if you're doing it on Saturday evenings after sundown, according to the Judaic timekeeping, it is Sunday, because Sunday starts after sundown Saturday...If you feel guilty regarding non-attendance on Sunday, it is because that guilt was taught to you, it is not a guilt from HaShem, but man...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity