Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 08:14 AM

101 posts, read 86,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
In the NT, if one pays attention, they were always going to Synagogue on the Sabbath...In Genesis it is written that G-d rested on the 7th day and hallowed it...It is commanded as a statute forever, to observe the Sabbath...
If you wished to go to the gathering of Jews in the first century to tell them about the Messiah you would need to do that on the day they are open.

The commandment was not given until after the Exodus. You are trying to read you belief into the text of Genesis and it is just not there. It was a command given to the Jews only and never given to the "Body of Christ" which is the Church today. Unless you have something new (not available for the past 200 years or so) that has not been used to try to prove your position you have nothing to stand on as far as I have ever seen. If you feel comfortable trying to go under a law that is not in force and was never for you then by all means have at it. Just don't try and bring others under that unnecessary bondage that Jesus has freed everyone from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
That is what Paul said...
Yes and we should thank God for calling Paul and giving us the Gospel for all people and the Body of Christ we have today. I am eternally grateful to my Heavenly Father for calling Paul and using him for our sakes. Our God is an Awesome God! Can we agree on that?

Old 09-10-2014, 09:16 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisW View Post
Yes and we should thank God for calling Paul and giving us the Gospel for all people and the Body of Christ we have today. I am eternally grateful to my Heavenly Father for calling Paul and using him for our sakes. Our God is an Awesome God! Can we agree on that?
Is it because Paul tells you that you can get away with sin, that you thank G-d for him?...

Old 09-10-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
If you wished to go to the gathering of Jews in the first century to tell them about the Messiah you would need to do that on the day they are open.

The commandment was not given until after the Exodus. You are trying to read you belief into the text of Genesis and it is just not there. It was a command given to the Jews only and never given to the "Body of Christ" which is the Church today. Unless you have something new (not available for the past 200 years or so) that has not been used to try to prove your position you have nothing to stand on as far as I have ever seen. If you feel comfortable trying to go under a law that is not in force and was never for you then by all means have at it. Just don't try and bring others under that unnecessary bondage that Jesus has freed everyone from.
Who said the Law was not in force?...

Old 09-10-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:

If you look at the history of the early church, even the gentiles were attending to learn about G-d and what He expected of them....Christianity was a Jewish sect within Judaism...

Old 09-10-2014, 12:01 PM

Quote:
If you look at the history of the early church, even the gentiles were attending to learn about G-d and what He expected of them....Christianity was a Jewish sect within Judaism...
No Gentiles were going to any Synagogue in the early church.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:28 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUGal View Post
I work retail and sometimes my schedule only allows me to attend church on Saturday nights. However, I feel guilty for not going on Sunday. In your opinion, does it really matter the date you attend service?

My church back in NY had the option of Saturday night service. I loved it. I'm not a morning person, and it was a lot easier for me.

I do not think God cares when we attend church. The more available times, the better, because of situations such as yours.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:38 AM

Quote:
No Gentiles were going to any Synagogue in the early church.
Yea...They were...

Old 09-11-2014, 05:09 AM

83 posts, read 149,347 times
Is not true that the Jewish Sabbath begins not on Saturday morning, but already the evening before, on Friday evening as soon as the first stars are out?

If you apply this tradition to Christianity, you could regard the Saturday evening as part of Sunday - just as Sunday evening is amost already in the shadow of Monday morning again, thinking about and getting ready for the week? Going to church on Saturday evening could be the perfect start into your "day of rest", which ends on Sunday evening.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Yea...They were...
Show your evidence!

Take a look at the gentiles not being allowed in the synogogue in Acts

Acts 13:42-44 KJV And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath. (43) Now when the congregation was broken up, many of the Jews and religious proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas: who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God. (44) And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.

Notice the Gentiles had to wait until the Jews were gone from the synagogue to address Paul. The reason is simple. They were not allowed in the synagogue. The Jews would not be in the same building with a Gentile.

Last edited by DennisW; 09-11-2014 at 08:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity