Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2014, 03:39 AM

518 posts, read 471,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
So why did you amen the post that God needs to apoligise to S and G if you believe judgement should be left to God?. You agreed with the judgement of another.Being bible believer does not make you a christian
If you read the post, which was over a page long, you would know there was a lot more in there than that once single line.

AS for "agreeing with the judgement of another", who am I to disagree with God? Only God can judge and I am not God. Nor do I tell God He is wrong.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:41 AM

Quote:
That one line summarized the spirit of the post of the
'"fundamental bible believer", and you not only agreed with it but passed the same judgement. God will have to apologize to Sodom and Gomorrah if He does not judge American fundamental christianity.
You do love to judge and try to start arguments don't you! Your intentions are clear. I choose not to play the game.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Do you mean the jewish prostitutes, tax collectors, publicans and homosexuals or the jewish religious elite ?.
Do you admit it was the Jews that Jesus was talking to?

Old 12-08-2014, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
That's exactly what a federal judge is supposed to do - overturn laws that violate the Constitution when the legislature passes illegal laws.

There are many other countries where you would not have to worry about such inconveniences - Iran comes to mind, as well as Afghanistan. If living in a constitutional republic really bothers you that much.
No legislature passed that law. It was a democratic vote of the people.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:51 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,664,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopRidge View Post
No legislature passed that law. It was a democratic vote of the people.
Not knowing what state he's referring to, you could be right. Either way, the point stands. If you'd paid attention in Social Studies class back in 7th grade, you'd know that.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Not knowing what state he's referring to, you could be right. Either way, the point stands. If you'd paid attention in Social Studies class back in 7th grade, you'd know that.
Could you quote the part of the Constitution that say's Marriage is open to same sex couples? I can't find that in my copy. I also read something about all other matters being left to the States. Perhaps the court was wrong. They have been before. Unless you agree with the Dread Scott decision.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:15 AM

37,343 posts, read 28,420,389 times
Quote:
Do you admit it was the Jews that Jesus was talking to?
Jewish religious elite. Woe to you scribes, lawyers and pharisees.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:17 AM

16,754 posts, read 15,802,866 times
Quote:
Could you quote the part of the Constitution that say's Marriage is open to same sex couples? I can't find that in my copy. I also read something about all other matters being left to the States. Perhaps the court was wrong. They have been before. Unless you agree with the Dread Scott decision.
Not a problem. From the 14th Amendment, this part is referred to as the "equal protection" clause:

Quote:
No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
When that Amendment was passed (it was ratified in 1868), it was specifically aimed at Southern States that were continually passing laws that discriminated against former slaves. The "unintended consequences" of that Amendment are many. The equal protection thing means that if you issue marriage licenses to two adult consenting citizens, you can't refuse to issue licenses to two other adult consenting citizens just because they happen to be of the same sex.

[On a side note, this is the same Amendment that grants citizenship to any person born in the United States. Originally, it was there to make sure that the children of former slaves were indeed citizens, but now (those unintended consequences again) it makes those pesky anchor babies US citizens.]

Last edited by mensaguy; 12-08-2014 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: busted by the spelling nazi again.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:37 AM

10,104 posts, read 5,773,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
The cultural context in the Confederate States deemed slavery right and just and used the same bible passages I am using to justify that. Actually, I deem to know more about the universe than any made up god, be that Yahweh, Thor, Freya, Adonis, Mazda, or Lono. They are all figments of mankind's imagination, and have as much credibility as unicorn flatulence or fairy dust.
You can shout to the heavens all you want that God is a fairy tale, but in the end, it's still just your opinion based on nothing really except your notion of how you think a moral God should act. OTOH, I've had very real supernatural experiences that show me God is real. Even if you have a valid case that God is just mean and evil in the Bible, how does that prove He doesn't exist?

Quote:

That doesn't condemn slavery. And it is your god, in his alter ego as Jesus, who instructs how to beat slaves, even if they didn't know they were doing anything wrong. How disgusting is that?
So all you need is a single verse saying slavery sucks? You are just cherry picking while ignoring the other verses that talk about humane treatment of slaves. Jesus came to save the souls of men, not cause a revolution and destroy deeply ingrained social and economic institutions which are temporary in comparison to eternity.

As for the OT, many of the slaves were prisoners of war and enemies of God's people. So I guess you think it would be better to free them so they can go back and murder more Israelities or just execute them huh?

Quote:

What does discrimination against women have to do with your bible accepting rape to be condoned by paying off the father.

There is nothing in the passage that even remotely suggests rape is accepted. You are applying a modern society overlap with a high degree of assumption. The passage only talks about the type of punishment given to the offender. Of course, the punishment would be awful in our modern day society, but women had little freedom and options in those ancient cultures.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:47 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,685,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
You can shout to the heavens all you want that God is a fairy tale, but in the end, it's still just your opinion based on nothing really except your notion of how you think a moral God should act. OTOH, I've had very real supernatural experiences that show me God is real. Even if you have a valid case that God is just mean and evil in the Bible, how does that prove He doesn't exist?

So all you need is a single verse saying slavery sucks? You are just cherry picking while ignoring the other verses that talk about humane treatment of slaves. Jesus came to save the souls of men, not cause a revolution and destroy deeply ingrained social and economic institutions which are temporary in comparison to eternity.

As for the OT, many of the slaves were prisoners of war and enemies of God's people. So I guess you think it would be better to free them so they can go back and murder more Israelities or just execute them huh?

There is nothing in the passage that even remotely suggests rape is accepted. You are applying a modern society overlap with a high degree of assumption. The passage only talks about the type of punishment given to the offender. Of course, the punishment would be awful in our modern day society, but women had little freedom and options in those ancient cultures.
Please share with us your supernatural experiences that showed you god was real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity