Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2014, 02:40 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,719,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
The Xq28 sex chromosome was a claim since that study that it was a gay gene, yet additional studies have shown it is not.

Science vs. the "Gay Gene"

Also here is a 1999 article that cast doubt with the gay gene: BBC News | Sci/Tech | Doubt cast on 'gay gene'

Also even today many people believe alfred kinsey homosexuality studies are to be true with 10% of the population is homosexual, and yes I do remember seeing this in pro gay websites and gay organisations, yet recent studies have suggested this is not the case. A BBC article from 2010 states the homosexual population is significantly smaller than that and at 1% and 0.5% bisexual. BBC News - UK gay, lesbian and bisexual population revealed
Hogwash about your 1999 study. Go back and read post 1180. There is plenty of science there that discusses other pre-natal epi-markers that affect sexuality orientation.

The BBC article doesn't live up to surveys which state around four percent of the population is homosexual. I suspect there are still plenty of homosexuals that aren't out of the closet considering how they are treated by so many others.

America--3.8%
  1. 3.8% of Americans are gay
    1. "The Williams Institute at the UCLA School of Law, a sexual orientation law and public policy think tank, estimates that 9 million (about 3.8%) of Americans identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender (2011)." (gaylife.about.com/od/comingout/a/population.htm)
  2. 1.8% of Americans are bisexual
    1. "The institute also found that bisexuals make up 1.8% of the population, while 1.7% are gay or lesbian. Transgender adults make up 0.3% of the population." (gaylife.about.com/od/comingout/a/population.htm)
  3. 1% of American Households
    1. "The 2000 U.S. Census Bureau found that homosexual couples constitute less than 1% of American households." (gallup.com/poll/6961/what-percentage-population-gay.aspx)
  4. 3%-8% are gay and lesbian
    1. The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force estimates three to eight percent of both sexes.(gallup.com/poll/6961/what-percentage-population-gay.aspx)
    2. "While the percentage of women and men aged 18-44 years who reported they were either heterosexual or homosexual was similar (94% of women and 96% of men said they were heterosexual while 1.1% of women and 1.7% of men said they were homosexual or gay), the percentage of women who reported they were bisexual was more than 3 times as high as men (3.5% of women vs. 1.1% of men)." (www.hhs.gov/opa/pdfs/r-and-e-update-spring-2011.pdf, p. 5.)
http://carm.org/percent-population-homosexual

Kinsey's report was flawed for obvious reasons:

The only problem with this report is that its findings were terribly flawed by the methodology used to collect the supposedly representative sample of the U.S. population. Why were his findings flawed? For several reasons, first and foremost being that approximately 25 percent of the 5,300 individuals Kinsey studied were prison inmates, "who by the nature of their confinement, couldn't have heterosexual intercourse." In addition, 44 percent of these inmates had had homosexual experiences while in prison. This was hardly a representative sample of the American population." (equip.org/articles/what-percentage-of-people-are-homosexuals-)
http://carm.org/percent-population-homosexual

Old 12-06-2014, 04:49 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
But yet when you label us as "fundies", you are automatically assigning pre-conceived notions to a group by assuming we all treat gay people poorly or hate them or we all ignorant and stupid. Yet Wandrendresden's post is steeped in personal ignorance. He doesn't know a thing about my personal life or how I interact with gay people in my daily walk. People on your side just seem incapable of understanding the difference between loving people but hating the sin.

In regards to our difference of opinions, I rather be wrong about the nature of sin than be wrong about homosexuality not being a sin. If Wardendresden is wrong then he is "loving" people by letting them walk off a cliff and not saying a word because he doesn't want to offend them. The bottom line is nothing in this realm matters more than your relationship with God. Not your family, not your spouse or partner. Our time here is brief compared to eternity.
It's the "Pied Pipers" of Orthodox Fundamentalism that want you to sing; and dance to their music, which has led many astray.

Old 12-06-2014, 05:09 PM

1,204 posts, read 873,549 times
Quote:
But yet when you label us as "fundies", you are automatically assigning pre-conceived notions to a group by assuming we all treat gay people poorly or hate them or we all ignorant and stupid. Yet Wandrendresden's post is steeped in personal ignorance. He doesn't know a thing about my personal life or how I interact with gay people in my daily walk. People on your side just seem incapable of understanding the difference between loving people but hating the sin.

In regards to our difference of opinions, I rather be wrong about the nature of sin than be wrong about homosexuality not being a sin. If Wardendresden is wrong then he is "loving" people by letting them walk off a cliff and not saying a word because he doesn't want to offend them. The bottom line is nothing in this realm matters more than your relationship with God. Not your family, not your spouse or partner. Our time here is brief compared to eternity.

If this is the true nature of God, he is indeed a petty, self-serving master and we are nothing but pawns and slaves to his oversized ego.

Last edited by mensaguy; 12-07-2014 at 06:44 AM.. Reason: Red is reseerved for Moderator actions.

Old 12-06-2014, 05:49 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,782,559 times
Quote:
So homosexuality is not a sin?
Nope, it's not.

Old 12-06-2014, 07:18 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,393,354 times
Quote:
The Xq28 sex chromosome was a claim since that study that it was a gay gene, yet additional studies have shown it is not.

Also here is a 1999 article that cast doubt with the gay gene: BBC News | Sci/Tech | Doubt cast on 'gay gene'

Also even today many people believe alfred kinsey homosexuality studies are to be true with 10% of the population is homosexual, and yes I do remember seeing this in pro gay websites and gay organisations, yet recent studies have suggested this is not the case. A BBC article from 2010 states the homosexual population is significantly smaller than that and at 1% and 0.5% bisexual. BBC News - UK gay, lesbian and bisexual population revealed

Did you even read the article I linked to? Your post shows that you not aware of the science - which is exactly what Dr Throckmorton (a Christian Psychologist) was saying about Christian evangelicals. He wrote that article more than 3 years ago and there has been even more research since then. For example, this paper published just last month (Nov 2014)

Genome-wide scan demonstrates significant linkage for male sexual orientation

Here is the 2011 article I linked to again:

The Evangelical Blackout of Research on Sexual Orientation - Dr Warren Throckmorton
"Of late, I have given several talks to a variety of evangelical groups about the current research on sexual orientation. Along the way, I have been contacted by evangelicals who ask about the current status of sexual orientation research. After the conversations and speeches, many questions come up. One question I hear after almost all of these conversations is: Why haven’t we seen anything about these studies?

Many of the questioners read evangelical publications and consume evangelical media. However, they don’t know anything about the brain research of Ivanka Savic in Sweden (2005, 2006, 2008) or Adam Safron and colleagues at Northwestern University (since 2005). Their knowledge of research stops at Dean Hamer or Simon Levay (both published studies in the 1990s). They know there is no gay gene but they don’t know about the significant brain, perceptual and cognitive differences reported within the past six years by various researchers around the world.

Many evangelicals believe homosexuality is due to abuse. Some will say with confidence that gays are more likely to be abused than straights but they are unaware of the actual magnitudes of difference. However, they are unaware of the 2009 study by Wilson and Widom which found no relationship between abuse and having a gay partner for men or women (men were more likely to have had at least one gay experience in their adult lives but not a recent partner). They are unaware of the 2010 work of Wells and colleagues in New Zealand that found 81.6% of gays reported no sexual abuse in their lives. Abuse is also higher among gender non-conforming children, whether gay or straight. Given that gays are more likely to be gender non-conforming in their histories, it seems likely that greater reports of abuse among gays relate in part to gender non-conformity, and have little, if anything, to do with cause of attractions for the majority of people who are same-sex attracted.

Many evangelicals I speak to think that change of orientation is pretty common and the evidence is being suppressed by the gay-friendly media. Some of them will point to the Jones and Yarhouse study of Exodus participants. Some will even say that over half of the participants changed orientation. When I explain to them what change means in the context of the study, they are surprised. Then I point out a study, also by Mark Yarhouse, that found no change in orientation for men and women in mixed orientation marriages. They wonder why that study was not reported in the media. I wonder the same thing.

I could be wrong but I don’t think any of the studies to which I have referred here have been reported in the Christian press. The Jones and Yarhouse study was reported widely, but the Yarhouse study showing no change among sexual minorities in mixed orientation couples – which is more recent – was not reported anywhere. NARTH – a group of mostly lay people but which claims to be a scientific group – has no information on the 2008 study by Savic and Lindstrom showing clear structural differences in the brain associated with sexual orientation differences. Shouldn’t a scientific organization which claims to be interested in the science of sexual orientation report information which is relevant to sexual orientation? That omission is only one of many.

Many evangelicals get their information from NARTH through groups like Family Research Council, Focus on the Family, Exodus International, etc. Others get information from Christian media. However, these studies are not reported in these places. No wonder most evangelicals approach sexual orientation with a 1990s mindset. It is as if the evangelical world is in blackout mode when it comes to current studies on sexual orientation.

I suspect the culture war is to blame. It cannot be because sexual orientation is not news. The issue comes up in the Presidential campaigns and other news all the time. However, evangelicals are quite unprepared to discuss this very current topic with the most recent and best scholarship.

In my view, Christian media and organizations have a responsibility to provide this information to their readers and consumers. Given the backlog of unreported studies, there is plenty of material for their reporting."

Last edited by Ceist; 12-06-2014 at 07:36 PM..

Old 12-06-2014, 07:45 PM

10,091 posts, read 5,741,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
All you have done with your version of religion is divide sinners into categories, even the Bible says "all sins are created equal." The only "good news" I see is that there aren't many members in the "JeffBasism." sect of Christianity.

My beliefs are in accordance with southern baptist. According to wikipedia, there are 15.7 million members and that's not counting people who don't join the church officially. I hardly consider that to be an extremely small minority like you suggest here.

List of Christian denominations by number of members - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

BTW, the Bible doesn't say all sins are created equal. It says sexual immorality (which includes homosexuality) is even more damaging than other sins:

Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body.

1 Corinthians 6:18

Old 12-06-2014, 07:51 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,109,537 times
Quote:

New Study Sheds Light On Two Regions of DNA Linked to Male Homosexuality | Science | KQED Public Media for Northern CA

Genome-wide scan demonstrates significant linkage for male sexual orientation - PubMed - NCBI

Old 12-06-2014, 08:03 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:
My beliefs are in accordance with southern baptist. According to wikipedia, there are 15.7 million members and that's not counting people who don't join the church officially. I hardly consider that to be an extremely small minority like you suggest here.

List of Christian denominations by number of members - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
o

BTW, the Bible doesn't say all sins are created equal. It says sexual immorality (which includes homosexuality) is even more damaging than other sins:

Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body.

1 Corinthians 6:18
So there are 15.7 million Southern Baptists?

Do they all cast stones and ignore Jesus? Hopefully some of them pay attention to the parts of the Bible that are trafitionally printed in red ink.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 12-06-2014 at 08:20 PM..

Old 12-06-2014, 08:52 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:
My beliefs are in accordance with southern baptist.
Thanks, but I will follow the Spirit of truth that resides within.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:17 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,987,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Hogwash about your 1999 study. Go back and read post 1180. There is plenty of science there that discusses other pre-natal epi-markers that affect sexuality orientation.

The BBC article doesn't live up to surveys which state around four percent of the population is homosexual. I suspect there are still plenty of homosexuals that aren't out of the closet considering how they are treated by so many others.

America--3.8%
  1. 3.8% of Americans are gay
    1. "The Williams Institute at the UCLA School of Law, a sexual orientation law and public policy think tank, estimates that 9 million (about 3.8%) of Americans identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual or transgender (2011)." (gaylife.about.com/od/comingout/a/population.htm)
  2. 1.8% of Americans are bisexual
    1. "The institute also found that bisexuals make up 1.8% of the population, while 1.7% are gay or lesbian. Transgender adults make up 0.3% of the population." (gaylife.about.com/od/comingout/a/population.htm)
  3. 1% of American Households
    1. "The 2000 U.S. Census Bureau found that homosexual couples constitute less than 1% of American households." (gallup.com/poll/6961/what-percentage-population-gay.aspx)
  4. 3%-8% are gay and lesbian
    1. The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force estimates three to eight percent of both sexes.(gallup.com/poll/6961/what-percentage-population-gay.aspx)
    2. "While the percentage of women and men aged 18-44 years who reported they were either heterosexual or homosexual was similar (94% of women and 96% of men said they were heterosexual while 1.1% of women and 1.7% of men said they were homosexual or gay), the percentage of women who reported they were bisexual was more than 3 times as high as men (3.5% of women vs. 1.1% of men)." (www.hhs.gov/opa/pdfs/r-and-e-update-spring-2011.pdf, p. 5.)
What is the percentage of the population is homosexuals and Lesbian? | how many gay and lesbians are there? | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry

Kinsey's report was flawed for obvious reasons:

The only problem with this report is that its findings were terribly flawed by the methodology used to collect the supposedly representative sample of the U.S. population. Why were his findings flawed? For several reasons, first and foremost being that approximately 25 percent of the 5,300 individuals Kinsey studied were prison inmates, "who by the nature of their confinement, couldn't have heterosexual intercourse." In addition, 44 percent of these inmates had had homosexual experiences while in prison. This was hardly a representative sample of the American population." (equip.org/articles/what-percentage-of-people-are-homosexuals-)
What is the percentage of the population is homosexuals and Lesbian? | how many gay and lesbians are there? | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry
The BBC article states that: The ONS received 450,000 responses in its new Integrated Household Survey.

The survey provides the biggest pool of social data in the UK after the Census, ONS says.BBC News - UK gay, lesbian and bisexual population revealed Of course London had the biggest and smaller areas had smaller numbers. It like that with other countries as gays are a higher percentage in big cities compared to smaller areas.

Well Kinsey report has been much promoted in the last 60 years. I remember this so when I was back at university and there was a big billboard there claiming that gays and lesbians represented 10% of the population. Also there is another university gay organisation is called the 10% percent society: 10% Society | Clubs and Organizations | Carthage College I wonder why

Yet also there was a survey where Americans believe that the number of gay and lesbian people are even higher than the 10%

More specifically, over half of Americans (52%) estimate that at least one in five Americans are gay or lesbian, including 35% who estimate that more than one in four are. Thirty percent put the figure at less than 15%.U.S. adults, on average, estimate that 25We % of Americans are gay or lesbian.
U.S. Adults Estimate That 25% of Americans Are Gay or Lesbian

Here is a link to an scientific article regarding prenatal hormones published 2 years ago:Prenatal hormones play minor role in sexual orientationAnd here is the abstract:A recent swathe of research on the effects of exposure to testosterone in the womb shows that its influence on human sexual orientation is weak to modest. Rather than the overwhelming influence on sexual orientation the researchers had been expecting to find it is only between 16-27%. This finding is for heterosexuality, and the influence on homosexuality and transgender should be even less. (A corroborating research paper is in preparation.) Basically, one is not born straight, gay or transgender.

Of course we are not born gay, straight or transgender. Yet the bible is clear we are born to sin. Psalms 51:5 Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, And in sin my mother conceived me.
Even though we were born as sinners, we continue to sin by our own personal choices.

Yet without Jesus we would die in our sins. He died on the cross for our sins. With that those that believe in him as well as having him as their personal saviour are put right to God and they will be God people.

Regarding homosexuality, homosexual sins are no worse than hetrosexual sins. Those that lust after someone has already sinned.

Sure God loves everyone and more so than you can imagine. He knew you even before you were born. Yet one thing that the Lord hates is sin and that is what truly separates us from God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity