Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2014, 07:28 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,447,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Do you honestly think women had just as many opportunities and freedom back then as they do in our modern society?
You don't want to look at the facts. Just quick to judge based solely on your emotions.
Do you believe they were undeserving?

Old 12-07-2014, 07:31 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,393,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopRidge View Post
It was pretty much always the Jews he had bad things to say about.
Do you mean the jewish prostitutes, tax collectors, publicans and homosexuals or the jewish religious elite ?.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:16 PM

440 posts, read 379,698 times
Heterosexuality is not the sexual orientation by default, so people, stop asking if people are born homosexual or not because heterosexuality is under the same position homosexuality and bisexuality are before it is determined in the womb.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:23 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,954,247 times
Quote:
So you ignore the valid points about culture context and use extreme words like "revolting" to make your position seem like the true beacon of justice. I find it revolting to lay judgement on the Creator of the Universe who suffered hours of physical torture to save our sorry behinds. Unless you have the exact supreme knowledge of all things like God, you don't have a right to judge the morality of His laws.
The cultural context in the Confederate States deemed slavery right and just and used the same bible passages I am using to justify that. Actually, I deem to know more about the universe than any made up god, be that Yahweh, Thor, Freya, Adonis, Mazda, or Lono. They are all figments of mankind's imagination, and have as much credibility as unicorn flatulence or fairy dust.

Quote:
Also, you are flat wrong about the Bible. It certainly says more about slavery. It says we are all the same under Christ. God loves us all.

Here there is no Gentile or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all. Colossians 3:11
That doesn't condemn slavery. And it is your god, in his alter ego as Jesus, who instructs how to beat slaves, even if they didn't know they were doing anything wrong. How disgusting is that?

Quote:
There is no blaming the victim. Do you honestly think women had just as many opportunities and freedom back then as they do in our modern society? You don't want to look at the facts. Just quick to judge based solely on your emotions.
What does discrimination against women have to do with your bible accepting rape to be condoned by paying off the father.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:51 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,418,114 times
Quote:
Do you have a point or did you fail to post a complete comment?
Yes I had a point.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
It's not an excuse at all, it was a reality. I gave the options. Apparently you rather see the woman starve to death or become a prostitute in exchange for the rapist being executed or whatever.

There are moral laws and cultural laws in the Bible. It's not my fault if you can't understand the difference. If it's all the same then you would have to say the laws against adultery no longer apply.
This is the 21st century, not 400BC or 40AD. Our culture is completely different. Our knowledge has vastly increased in 2000 years. That's a 'reality'.
And it's a 'reality' that the Biblical texts and the ancient cultures it which they were written, have nothing at all to do with gay and lesbian people in the 21st century.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
It was pretty much always the Jews he had bad things to say about.
???

Jesus was a Jew.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:28 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,393,536 times
Quote:
Animals also murder and eat their young. But hey it's all natural, right?
Which is why we do not mediate human ethics and morality on what is "natural". The point simply is that the "natural" argument simply does not, and should not, be employed in the discussion of sexuality at all. Yet the anti homosexual cohort trot it out as an argument all the time.

Quote:
I would imagine if there is not God, I would want to make every day of breathe as enjoyable as possible. There really is no benefit in not being completely selfish in such a scenario.
Which says a lot about you really. If you need a god in order to do anything but be selfish then this tells us nothing, except what kind of person you actually are.

Many of the rest of us, entirely without a notion of god, recognize the value of others as ends in themselves and of life itself. We are endowed with evolved characteristics such as love and human empathy.

Quote:
Then you are saying we are born with an internal sense of right and moral apart from religion.
We are born with empathy. We are born with mirror neurons. And we are born with the kind of observational logic that can learn simple rules through nothing but observation such as the "Golden Rule" which even 2 years olds learn quite quickly when they visit something upon another person and find the same thing being visited right back on them too.

Quote:
Would an atheist really be willing to help other people if those people constantly spat in their face and made them feel like crap? I doubt it
And yet they do. So your doubt is irrelevant as the reality continues on regardless.

Quote:
Even a non-Christian woman will usually tell you that she needs intimacy, not just the physical sensations of sex.
Actually men and women both are equally capable of engaging in, and enjoying, both forms in isolation or combined. They do not "need" intimacy but can engage in sex with or without it.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:26 AM

2 posts, read 1,786 times
Default dont judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthttf View Post
Having recently watched a federal judge overthrow the will of the people in my state who voted to ban same-sex marriage I feel we are in perilous times.

A single act of homosexuality is considered an abomination in God's Word the Bible. Therefore marriage between two homosexuals is off the moral scale as far as abominations go. I think we all need to wake up before our nation is destroyed for this and all the rest of our horrible sins.

There is NO double standard with God.

Here is a scripture from the both King James Version and the Easy-to-Read Version of the Bible:

Leviticus 20:13

KJV:
If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

ERV:
“If a man has sexual relations with another man as with a woman, they have committed a terrible sin. They must be put to death. They are responsible for their own death.

The US Government is promoting sin and eventually we are all going to have to pay a heavy price.
it an awful thing to do to anyone as to judge them for who they may fall in love with also who is anyone to judge and who made you God and gave you the authority to even judge anyone my God loves us all I'm so sick of people giving their self the power to judge all of us will answer to God and he will judge accordingly not by people like you there are so many loving very honest great people who just so happen to fall in love with someone who is the same sex so what kind your own n let them alone and stay happy find somewhere else constructive to use your energy n creAte something useful positive how would u like being judged because maybe year wife or husbandry be overweight is that a sin being a gluten like I say united states is fee let it stay this way I am so upset for people to think they have a right to judge people when I'm source they r note without sin n being in love is not a sin shame on you

Old 12-08-2014, 03:38 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,658,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tthttf View Post
Having recently watched a federal judge overthrow the will of the people in my state who voted to ban same-sex marriage I feel we are in perilous times.
That's exactly what a federal judge is supposed to do - overturn laws that violate the Constitution when the legislature passes illegal laws.

There are many other countries where you would not have to worry about such inconveniences - Iran comes to mind, as well as Afghanistan. If living in a constitutional republic really bothers you that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity