Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 09:19 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,308,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
I still don't quite get you. I did not play anything. I wish I did. I would have been further in life.
You was a christian ?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 09:35 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,007,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You was a christian ?.
Again, yes. By the common definition of the word and MORE, yes.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:44 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,029,375 times
It is a nonsense state of affairs, to have once believed and now not – I have known similarly intellectual people who have come to the same ‘conclusion’, though they don’t always discuss it publicly. There are different aspects of belief though. My feeling is that there is an ember or bruised reed, otherwise why would one give a flying monkey’s about the breakdown of 2 mega churches and their leaders. The order of beliefs goes from deeply internal to those ‘beliefs’ that we externalise into debates. Here are some beliefs:

(1) church and its members/leaders reflects God’s true church or called out ones.

(2) God is.

(3) God has said and done some things and communicated to mankind.

(4) The indwelling Holy Spirit, wants to reveal Abba (literally Daddy) to you.

(5) He is interested in you.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post
It is a nonsense state of affairs, to have once believed and now not – I have known similarly intellectual people who have come to the same ‘conclusion’, though they don’t always discuss it publicly. There are different aspects of belief though. My feeling is that there is an ember or bruised reed, otherwise why would one give a flying monkey’s about the breakdown of 2 mega churches and their leaders. The order of beliefs goes from deeply internal to those ‘beliefs’ that we externalise into debates. Here are some beliefs:

(1) church and its members/leaders reflects God’s true church or called out ones.

(2) God is.

(3) God has said and done some things and communicated to mankind.

(4) The indwelling Holy Spirit, wants to reveal Abba (literally Daddy) to you.

(5) He is interested in you.
Well, I see this status has become about me and that is fine.

Anyway, church was a part of my life for 2 decades and more. I don't have any hatred for the place OR "God," so I have no problems discussing matters with the church from time to time. I left Calvary Chapel when I was flying high in my Christian experience and the place was a great social setting with some decent people here and there and I can admit that. The problem was, I eventually felt out of place and the words rang hollow and the whole ambience became eerie as it still would today. Heck, here in NY, I still love walking into old churches to take pictures, but for a service, that is a nauseating experience to think about so unless I'm dead, that is a no go.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Again, yes. By the common definition of the word and MORE, yes.
Playing the part of someone who believes the bible is inerrant and infallible does not make you a christian. This is why you are an atheist today. Christ made disciples not bible believers.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Playing the part of someone who believes the bible is inerrant and infallible does not make you a christian. This is why you are an atheist today. Christ made disciples not bible believers.
Oh, I see. I could have sworn I was an atheist because of other factors, but oh, ok?

Old 11-10-2014, 05:55 AM

The first line of your OP pretty much gave the game away. And now youre talking about church this and church that. I think God is knocking on the door. And you need to open it.

We watched the Prince Caspian Narnia film yesterday. There's a beautiful part at the end of the film where Aslan recognises someone who didn't believe he existed.

Aslan says to Lucy: Now, where is this dear little friend you've told me about so much?

(Trumpkin kneels before Aslan)

(Aslan roars!)

Lucy to Trumpkin: Do you see him now?

Old 11-10-2014, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post
The first line of your OP pretty much gave the game away. And now youre talking about church this and church that. I think God is knocking on the door. And you need to open it.

We watched the Prince Caspian Narnia film yesterday. There's a beautiful part at the end of the film where Aslan recognises someone who didn't believe he existed.

Aslan says to Lucy: Now, where is this dear little friend you've told me about so much?

(Trumpkin kneels before Aslan)

(Aslan roars!)

Lucy to Trumpkin: Do you see him now?

Oh, that's sweet. I would actually prefer a rich long, lost uncle to knock.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:08 AM

Ok. Well, I've just walked in the house after getting in from work, and the film was on again - we have young children who watch films over and over, though yesterday was the first time they've seen it. The dialogue above and scene came on within the very same minute I walked in the room. ...so, Gods either saying it to you, to me, or its a pure coincidence.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Oh, I see. I could have sworn I was an atheist because of other factors, but oh, ok?
I would like to hear them, but maybe on another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity