Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2015, 05:38 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,059,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
You have confessed your sins on the internet while condemning your audience as sinners of the highest order. You stated you are a Saint, and seem to be above applying those verses to yourself. That is your folly. You are standing on a pedestal of Jello.

1Jn 1:8 if we may say--`we have not sin,' ourselves we lead astray, and the truth is not in us;

The above is talking about and to Christians...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Most people reading Hebrews 6, stop at verse 6. You need to go to verse 8.

Hebrews 6:4-8 - For in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6 and then have fallen away, it is impossible to renew them again to repentance, since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God and put Him to open shame. 7 For ground that drinks the rain which often falls on it and brings forth vegetation useful to those for whose sake it is also tilled, receives a blessing from God; 8 but if it yields thorns and thistles, it is worthless and close to being cursed, and it ends up being burned.

Verse 6 does NOT say those people are not saved... it does NOT say they have lost their salvation. It just says His death is applied to us one time. It is impossible to be applied again.

When you keep reading to verse 8, you see that those people are close to being cursed, but are NOT cursed. They are just burned. That is the judgment seat of Christ that is described in 1 Corinthians 3 that believers will endure after this life on earth.
I think it also gives what happened in the wilderness as an example...Or is that in chapter 10?...

Old 02-21-2015, 05:51 PM

Typical...We lost the OP...

Old 02-21-2015, 06:29 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,621,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Usually someone that comes on like this has grievously sinned in what they are preaching about and this is their penance...
Bless me Father for I have sinned.

I was front and center for my youngest sister's first confession. God, she was adorable and so excited. She knew the commandments and passed all of her tests for her first communion.
She admitted everything, and how many times she sinned. She coveted her neighbors wife, and husband several times if I remember.

If you have ever seen Goonies, that was the confession.

The rest of us received extra penance for laughing so hard.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:36 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,206,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john233 View Post
This is a good thread. This is what the Bible says. If you guys are disagreeing with this than it must be because you and all your friends love to sin and be rebellious to God.

Think of it this way.

You have a friend who went to your house when you were at work. He flirts with your girlfriend, takes some of your money and eats some of your food then leaves. When you got home, your girlfriend told you what happened and you became angry at your friend. So you call him and confront him about his sins against you.

He says to you, "I'm really sorry, I feel horrible, I'm such a sinner, please forgive me, I repent. I put my trust in the fact that you are very forgiving and merciful"
So, you forgive your friend.

The next day, while you are at work, your friend returns again. This time he makes out with your girlfriend, wears your clothes, lays in your bed and watches tv while your girlfriend brings him lunch in bed.

You come home, notice his underwear on the floor, the crumbs all over the bed and you discover what went on.

So again, you confront your friend. He says, "Hey, you caught me, im really sorry, i wont do it again. I put my trust in the fact that you are very forgiving and merciful"
So you forgive your friend again.

The next day, the same thing happens, and the next day and the next day. In fact it happens every single day. Your girlfriend spends every moment with your friend while you are at work. They take your money and have all kinds of fun and go on all kinds of adventures. Then when you get home she is always tired and just wants to sleep.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me ask you this. Is your friend actually sorry for his sins against you? Are his actions truly forgivable?
Anyone who would do that is not a friend.

The term 'blood-sucking, lazy, loser leach' comes to mind.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:38 PM

335 posts, read 220,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
1Jn 1:8 if we may say--`we have not sin,' ourselves we lead astray, and the truth is not in us;

The above is talking about and to Christians...
Nobody is saying we are without sin. We are saying you must turn from your sin in repentance.
We are saying that those who practice righteousness are righteous and are born again and are children of God.
Those who practice lawlessness and sin, are not born again and do not know God.

This is what the Bible states. Calling someone a hypocrite will not change that

Old 02-21-2015, 06:40 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,244,899 times
Quote:
Life is beautiful friend. And we are not to be pitied. The person to be pitied is the man who continues in his sin, believing he has "eternal life" yet his conversion and repentance is false. When you are born again, you repent of your sins, which means stop doing them.

If you have not done that, then you must stop what you are doing and truly repent. Do not even consider yourself a Christian until your repentance is complete. Once it is complete, then you can worry about removing the speck in another brothers eye.
huh?

Old 02-21-2015, 07:38 PM

33,296 posts, read 26,501,429 times
Quote:
Nobody is saying we are without sin. We are saying you must turn from your sin in repentance.
We are saying that those who practice righteousness are righteous and are born again and are children of God.
Those who practice lawlessness and sin, are not born again and do not know God.

This is what the Bible states. Calling someone a hypocrite will not change that
No, the Bible does not state that.

You fail to distinguish between the righteousness of Christ which is credited to everyone who believes in Him, and the believer's experiential righteousness or lack thereof. The believer is saved by the righteousness of Christ. Not by his own righteousness.
Titus 3:5 He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit,

Romans 3:21 But now apart from the Law the righteousness of God has been manifested, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, 22] even the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all those who believe; for there is no distinction; 23] for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24] being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus;
Believers still have a sin nature and can sin with the worst of sinners. I've told you before that sin is not even the issue in salvation because Jesus has already been judged for all of our sins. The sins of the believer only result in divine discipline in time and can result in loss of rewards at the judgment seat of Christ, but the believer cannot lose his salvation. Nor does someone who continues to sin after having believed in Christ mean that he was never saved.

Christians sin. The Corinthians were carnal Christians at the time that Paul wrote his first epistle to them.
1 Corinthians 3:1 And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual men, but as to men of flesh, as to infants in Christ. 2] I gave you milk to drink, not solid food; for you were not yet able to receive it. Indeed, even now you are not yet able, 3] for you are still fleshly. For since there is jealousy and strife among you, are you not fleshly, and are you not walking like mere men?
Now they did eventually begin to grow spiritually, but they show the reality of the carnal Christian. So does James 4. These are eternally saved believers that James is addressing.
James 4:1 What is the source of quarrels and conflicts among you? Is not the source your pleasures that wage war in your members? 2] You lust and do not have; so you commit murder. You are envious and cannot obtain; so you fight and quarrel. You do not have because you do not ask. 3] You ask and do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend it on your pleasures. 4] You adulteresses, do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.
Believers should repent of their sins and try to sin less (that comes with spiritual growth) but it is not a requirement for eternal salvation. The only requirement for eternal life is to believe on Christ which simply means to believe that He died for your sins and rose again with the result that you place your trust entirely on Him.

I doubt that any of this will sink in either with you or with the OP. With legalists it usually doesn't. But the fact is that a person is saved by grace through faith in Christ Jesus (Eph. 2:8-9). Not by repenting of his sins or by adding anything to faith alone in Christ Jesus.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:44 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,911,862 times
Didn't we just have this thread?

Old 02-21-2015, 07:59 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,621,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Didn't we just have this thread?
Lent theme of the month. None of us gave up the forum. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity