Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 06:36 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,832,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
No, idiotic prophecies demonstrate contemptible false beliefs by those who don't study the Bible in a scholarly fashion. All examples from Failed biblical prophecies - RationalWiki

-----------------
BUT IT CAN'T BE SYMBOLIC. When I say Adam and Eve are symbolic, you cry Unh-Uh!!! You can't have it both ways. Either the book is mostly symbolic, not symbolic, but absolutely NOT symbolic only when you deign it to be symbolic. And in Ezekiel GOD HIMSELF SPOKE AND SAID NO FOOT OF MAN OR BEAST WOULD PASS THROUGH IT (Egypt). But that didn't happen now, did it?

Now I've got lots more, but these three are enough to point out that the only people who read the Bible and make blanket predictions are those that do not STUDY the Bible in a scholarly fashion. I do believe you would rather be ignorant about the Bible than do any study to enlighten yourself. But you are comfortable knowing all the wrong things.

Prophecies failed plenty of times. Different authors perceived different aspects of the same historical situation. The bible remains a plurality of writings and God did not have a megaphone in Heaven voicing down to men, "Now take this down---."

Scripture is not about being Inerrant nor Infallible. Scripture is about Witnessing to the interaction of God with men and is understood best as pointing toward Jesus Christ.

Worshiping it and make it co-equal to God is flat out idolatry and will be punished as all idolators will be punished by God. And the way you read that bible is not to find out what it says, but to verify what you have already made up your mind that it says. It's a fond tactic of inerrantists called eisegesis as opposed to exegesis.

St. Augustine, that great early church father, put it succinctly when he said that nay reading of the Bible that gets in the way of loving God and/or neighbor is a wrong interpretation.

Please spare us your "explanations" as to why the above prophecies didn't come true. The only way your "explanation" is viable is if you give it the same weight as Scripture--and you manage to do that with quite a few of your explanations.
Because Syria, Ephraim, and the son of Remaliah, have taken evil counsel against thee, saying, Let us go up against Judah, and vex it, and let us make a breach therein for us, and set a king in the midst of it, even the son of Tabeal: Thus saith the Lord GOD, It shall not stand, neither shall it come to pass. Yet it did come to pass. His enemies did harm him. as 2 Chronicles 28:1-8 tells us. Wherefore the LORD his God delivered him into the hand of the king of Syria; and they smote him, and carried away a great multitude of them captives, and brought them to Damascus.

Not sure where the errancy is here. "Let us a make a breach therein for us, and set a King in the midst of it". Breach the Temple? Where in Chronicles did this happen? Be mindful this at a time of civil war when kings(leaders)were picking up Idolatry again from the neighbors. It might be the case that the plot was to place Ba'al as King in Judah. From what I recall of a story an Angel of The Lord went to war with another countries angel and of course prevailed. Spiritual warfare.
I hope this helps some. The Old Test can be a bit cryptic as I explained to Mystic once. When reading the scripture it helps to take into count 2 perspectives. Spiritual aspect and Physical, Prophet and Priest.
For example the exodus and all the people that left were not just God fearing Hebrews. Some had left with Egypts gods, idols, traditions, customs. Hence later scripture commanding the people to come out of the *****. So when reading leviticus the ordinances on what not to eat will encompass physical and spiritual aspects. Painting and marking of skin for memorial of the dead was a custom of pagan worship, spiritual aspect. Do not eat vultures physical and spiritual aspects. Many fall short in understanding scripture because of the inherent stumbling blocks(markers)seals) myself included before HSpirit. My advice is if someone comes upon something that cannot be understood sit on it and the Lord will reveal its meaning to you.
Endure and stay strong Brother.

As for the sounding board comment. I hear you and know your meaning.

Last edited by pinacled; 03-18-2015 at 07:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 09:20 PM

18,529 posts, read 9,218,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Yes, I understand that. I meant, what about this thread illustrates those things.
This whole thread is endless assertions with little or no evidence to back them up.

At work, we don't have endless debates over whether or not methane contains one carbon atom and four hydrogen atoms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity