Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 06:56 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,719,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
And we only know that story because .................... it is in scripture.

Jesus is not here to personally speak to us face to face as he did that man. But his words are because .... of scripture. Not you or me, scripture. We have no authority equal to it, though many want it. If the spirit we claims disses scripture it is from the original source of rejecting God's thoughts on matters, Satan.
The difference between us is that you view all scripture equally. I view all scripture through the lens of the life and words of Jesus Christ.

The result of that difference is that Jesus Christ is lessened by your ability to bring him down to the human level of the biblical authors. To the extent that we have an accurate view of the life and teachings of Jesus, for those with a Christological approach to the Bible, it becomes subject to the One it points to.

You may not see the difference. But its quite great. Bible worship remains the most significant religious idol in the United States. And trying to impose its words on the larger community of Americans is literally tearing us apart. Not what one would expect from inerrant and infallible word of truth--but nevertheless it is that particular viewpoint that is dividing Christianity, dividing politicians, dividing American people.

You may wish to call that "godly." For me it is the work of the Adversary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 07:00 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,401,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
And we only know that story because .................... it is in scripture.

Jesus is not here to personally speak to us face to face as he did that man. But his words are because .... of scripture. Not you or me, scripture. We have no authority equal to it, though many want it. If the spirit we claims disses scripture it is from the original source of rejecting God's thoughts on matters, Satan.
There's good stuff in the book. The book itself is not good ("none but God is good" ) and not everything in it is good, either.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:10 PM

63,843 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
The difference between us is that you view all scripture equally. I view all scripture through the lens of the life and words of Jesus Christ.
The result of that difference is that Jesus Christ is lessened by your ability to bring him down to the human level of the biblical authors. To the extent that we have an accurate view of the life and teachings of Jesus, for those with a Christological approach to the Bible, it becomes subject to the One it points to.
You may not see the difference. But its quite great. Bible worship remains the most significant religious idol in the United States. And trying to impose its words on the larger community of Americans is literally tearing us apart. Not what one would expect from inerrant and infallible word of truth--but nevertheless it is that particular viewpoint that is dividing Christianity, dividing politicians, dividing American people.
You may wish to call that "godly." For me it is the work of the Adversary
Your posts are truly awesome, Warden. They need to be disseminated as widely as possible. Perhaps you could compose a book of Sermons based on them for all pastors who truly love Christ. I am very serious, brother!

Old 03-17-2015, 07:40 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,843,144 times
The thread subject is the inspiration, inerrancy and infallibility of scripture ... not the contempt in which many detractors hold Bible-believing Christians, the Bible and even God.

Some of you profess and pretend a great Spiritual awareness ... that excludes scripture and even the teachings of Christ. While you claim to be only be targeting 'Bible fundamentalists; or 'Bible-Idolators, your posts reveal so much more than that about you. --- Sadly, you don't even seem to be aware of it, as evidenced by post after post in the same vein.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:10 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,412,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The thread subject is the inspiration, inerrancy and infallibility of scripture ... not the contempt in which many detractors hold Bible-believing Christians, the Bible and even God.

Some of you profess and pretend a great Spiritual awareness ... that excludes scripture and even the teachings of Christ. While you claim to be only be targeting 'Bible fundamentalists; or 'Bible-Idolators, your posts reveal so much more than that about you. --- Sadly, you don't even seem to be aware of it, as evidenced by post after post in the same vein.
I am beginning to think they want to klll any real discussion of such topics and keep people from listening to any one but them.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:04 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,719,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post

I still read it every day--and study it even more diligently. And, yes, I get inspiration from it. That's what the writings were intended to do--inspire. And they can only inspire if the reader is inspired to see more than words on a page--and I don't mean all those idiotic prophecies that are clear as mud and have nothing to do with LIVING a Christian life.

Inerrancy has NEVER EVER been a part of the historical church. It is a completely modern cult that appeals more to the uneducated than the educated, appeals to those who like to wave around scriptural authority for anything and everything they propose, appeals to those who like their world in blacks and whites.

REAL Biblical study is much more difficult to undertake.

And while you are welcome to attack my position on biblical idolatry---I'm just trying to do what you "bible-believers (inerrantists) try to do-----Warn you of your sin.

There was once a cartoon that pictured a "male" God in the heavens with a megaphone. Tubes extended from the megaphone to earth where four men sat at typewriters reproducing the words they were hearing. The cartoonist was trying, positively, to express the claim that the four gospel writers were transmitting what they heard from God, word for word. Except they all came up with different stories from the same God.

From the opening stories in the Bible---Adam and Eve---we learn that God chooses to work through and with human agents. God could care for mankind, save mankind, protect mankind, feed the hungry, or house the homeless without the input of man. Instead, God chooses to work through us. And every person He ever chose to work through besides His own Son was FLAWED. Often, so were their works. But the cult of inerrancy doesn't believe God could do that through the narratives of the Bible and would also choose to do it for the word of God.

Except, as pointed out, they claim for the Bible, what it does not claim for itself. And THAT is adding to the word of God.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 03-17-2015 at 09:18 PM..

Old 03-17-2015, 09:18 PM

63,843 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
I still read it every day--and study it even more diligently. And, yes, I get inspiration from it. That's what the writings were intended to do--inspire. And they can only inspire if the reader is inspired to see more than words on a page--and I don't mean all those idiotic prophecies that are clear as mud and have nothing to do with LIVING a Christian life.

Inerrancy has NEVER EVER been a part of the historical church. It is a completely modern cult that appeals more to the uneducated than the educated, appeals to those who like to wave around scriptural authority for anything and everything they propose, appeals to those who like their world in blacks and whites.

And while you are welcome to attack my position on biblical idolatry---I'm just trying to do what you "bible-believers (inerrantists) try to do-----Warn you of your sin.

There was once a cartoon that pictured a "male" God in the heavens with a megaphone. Tubes extended from the megaphone to earth where four men sat at typewriters reproducing the words they were hearing. The cartoonist was trying, positively, to express the claim that the four gospel writers were transmitting what they heard from God, word for word. Except they all came up with different stories from the same God.

From the opening stories in the Bible---Adam and Eve---we learn that God chooses to work through and with human agents. God could care for mankind, save mankind, protect mankind, feed the hungry, or house the homeless. Instead, God chooses to work through us. And every person He ever chose to work through besides His own Son was FLAWED. Often, so were their works. But the cult of inerrancy doesn't believe God could do that through the narratives of the Bible but would choose not to do it for the word of God.

Except, as pointed out, they claim for the Bible, what it does not claim for itself. And THAT is adding to the word of God.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:30 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:
Idiotic prophecies? That demonstrates contempt for the prophecies of the Word of God.

Quote:
That claim is easily shown to be false by the comments of Irenaeus, Clement of Rome, and Augustine.
Irenaeus:
Against Heresies, 2.28.2 (c. A.D. 175-185)
We should leave things of that nature to God who created us, being most properly assured that the Scriptures are indeed perfect, since they were spoken by the Word of God and His Spirit;
Irenaeus of Lyons, Against Heresies / Adversus Haereses, Book 2 (Roberts-Donaldson translation)

Clement:
THE FIRST EPISTLE OF CLEMENT TO THE CORINTHIANS (c. A.D. 80-140)
1Clem 45:2
Ye have searched the scriptures, which are true, which were given
through the Holy Ghost;

1Clem 45:3
and ye know that nothing unrighteous or counterfeit is written in
them. Ye will not find that righteous persons have been thrust out
by holy men.
First Clement: Clement of Rome

Augustine:
Letter's of Augustine, Letter 82.
From Augustine to Jerome (A.D. 405)
For I confess to your Charity that I have learned to yield this respect and honour only to the canonical books of Scripture: of these alone do I most firmly believe that the authors were completely free from error.
CHURCH FATHERS: Letter 82 (Augustine) or 116 (Jerome)
Obviously these early church fathers did believe in the inerrancy of the Bible.

I would hardly call these men who drafted the Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy uneducated or make the claim that they never engaged in 'REAL Biblical study.'
The "Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy" was produced at an international Summit Conference of evangelical leaders, held at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare in Chicago in the fall of 1978. This congress was sponsored by the International Council on Biblical Inerrancy. The Chicago Statement was signed by nearly 300 noted evangelical scholars, including James Boice, Norman L. Geisler, John Gerstner, Carl F. H. Henry, Kenneth Kantzer, Harold Lindsell, John Warwick Montgomery, Roger Nicole, J. I. Packer, Robert Preus, Earl Radmacher, Francis Schaeffer, R. C. Sproul, and John Wenham.
Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy

Quote:

To claim Bible Idolatry on the part of those who believe in Biblical inerrancy simply because they believe in the inerrancy of Scripture is a misrepresentation of the facts and is irresponsible.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:44 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Since God is truth and cannot lie, and since all Scripture is God-breathed meaning that Scripture has it's origin with God, then Scripture is true or inerrant.

John 7:28 Then Jesus cried out in the temple, teaching and saying, "You both know Me and know where I am from; and I have not come of Myself, but He who sent Me is true, whom you do not know.

John 17:17 "Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth.

1 Thess. 2:13 For this reason we also constantly thank God that when you received the word of God which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but for what it really is, the word of God, which also performs its work in you who believe.

The words spoken by the apostles are the word of God. They are no less so when set down in writing in the Scriptures.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:48 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,376,582 times
Quote:

From the opening stories in the Bible---Adam and Eve---we learn that God chooses to work through and with human agents. God could care for mankind, save mankind, protect mankind, feed the hungry, or house the homeless without the input of man. Instead, God chooses to work through us. And every person He ever chose to work through besides His own Son was FLAWED. Often, so were their works. But the cult of inerrancy doesn't believe God could do that through the narratives of the Bible and would also choose to do it for the word of God.

You will always have those who will continue to follow the doctrines of men, never thinking for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity