Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2015, 05:13 AM

514 posts, read 470,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUMBONyc View Post
Claims like this are out of date.

These nested hierarchies don't extend beyond phyla, and attempts at phylogenetic abduction at a broader level have raised far more problems than resolved them, for example in necessary rates of HGT. To complicate the matter further, there is burgeoning evidence of non-redundancy in sequences we originally considered true pseudogenes.
http://www.biologydirect.com/content...-6150-6-32.pdf

Old 06-13-2015, 05:27 AM

159 posts, read 177,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousseff View Post
Interesting. Last I heard of Koonin, he was commenting how the TOL (I think he's the only one who bothers to use that acronym) was all but dead in a peer-reviewer commentary on a review article for a post-modern Synthesis. That is, before the authors shut him up.

I can only assume Koonin wasn't aware that his comment was going to be published.

Old 06-13-2015, 05:30 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
Quote:
Claims like this are out of date.

These nested hierarchies don't extend beyond phyla, and attempts at phylogenetic abduction at a broader level have raised far more problems than resolved them, for example in necessary rates of HGT. To complicate the matter further, there is burgeoning evidence of non-redundancy in sequences we originally considered true pseudogenes.
Again you are clearly misinformed and do not know how to interpret the science.

The paper you cited is only talking about the evolution of the genome in bacteria and has nothing about comparing the polymorphism of pseudo-genes in orthologous loci in other species.

The paper you cited is from 2006 and a lot has changed in the molecular world since then. But most importantly that paper has absolutely nothing to do with comparing the polymorphism of pseudo-genes in orthologous loci in other species.

That paper only discuses lateral gene transfers in bacteria. The endosymbiotic theory, is an evolutionary theory that explains the origin of eukaryotic cells from prokaryotes. This has nothing to do with Pseudogenes.

You guys are incredible at how desperate you are to try and pull the wool over peoples eyes.

Tell me how this paper has anything to do with comparing the polymorphism of pseudo-genes in orthologous loci in other species?

Old 06-13-2015, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Interesting. Last I heard of Koonin, he was commenting how the TOL (I think he's the only one who bothers to use that acronym) was all but dead in a peer-reviewer commentary on a review article for a post-modern Synthesis. That is, before the authors shut him up.

I can only assume Koonin wasn't aware that his comment was going to be published.
Do you think rates of lateral gene transfer on that scale are plausible?

Old 06-13-2015, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Again you are clearly misinformed and do not know how to interpret the science.

The paper you cited is only talking about the evolution of the genome in bacteria and has nothing about comparing the polymorphism of pseudo-genes in orthologous loci in other species.

The paper you cited is from 2006 and a lot has changed in the molecular world since then. But most importantly that paper has absolutely nothing to do with comparing the polymorphism of pseudo-genes in orthologous loci in other species.

That paper only discuses lateral gene transfers in bacteria. The endosymbiotic theory, is an evolutionary theory that explains the origin of eukaryotic cells from prokaryotes. This has nothing to do with Pseudogenes.

You guys are incredible at how desperate you are to try and pull the wool over peoples eyes.

Tell me how this paper has anything to do with comparing the polymorphism of pseudo-genes in orthologous loci in other species.?
You've not understood the abstract:

"Here we consider how LGT and endosymbiosis bear on contemporary views of microbial evolution, most of which stem from the days before genome sequences were available."

This means that the contemporary concept of the Tree of Life has origins from the days before genome sequences were available, and that it is now being evaluated in light of current phylogenetic data. Your interpretation of it is nonsensical.

Let's clarify another important point: This does not mean to say that limited data sets aren't available that suggest tree-like branching within phyla. It's abducing everything to a broader common origin that falls into problems.

Species phylogeny is not exclusive to coding sequences, and the concerns in question (which are still relevant today) span both prokaryotic and eukaryotic data sets, so you're also wrong on pretty much every other point.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousseff View Post
Do you think rates of lateral gene transfer on that scale are plausible?
It depends which research team you cite.

Opinions vary greatly on just how much HGT is needed to harmonize the data with a tree-like origin.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:28 AM

Quote:
You've not understood the abstract:

"Here we consider how LGT and endosymbiosis bear on contemporary views of microbial evolution, most of which stem from the days before genome sequences were available."

This means that the contemporary concept of the Tree of Life has origins from the days before genome sequences were available, and that it is now being evaluated in light of current phylogenetic data. Your interpretation of it is nonsensical.

Let's clarify another important point: This does not mean to say that limited data sets aren't available that suggest tree-like branching within phyla. It's abducing everything to a broader common origin that falls into problems.

Species phylogeny is not exclusive to coding sequences, and the concerns in question (which are still relevant today) span both prokaryotic and eukaryotic data sets, so you're also wrong on pretty much every other point.
I understand the abstract of this paper. What is my interpretation of that paper that is nonsensical?

That paper has nothing to do with pseudogenes and how they are used in evolution today.

You made the claim that Pseudo genes being used to prove evolution is out of date. It is not out of date.

Yale would not be posting outdated science on their website.

Background Information on Pseudogenes

Quote:
Why are pseudogenes interesting?
In any study of molecular evolution, it is necessary to compare and contrast genes from a variety of organisms to gauge how the organisms have adapted to ensure their survival. Pseudogenes are vitally important since they provide a record of how the genomic DNA has been changed without such evolutionary pressure and can be used as a model for determining the underlying rates of nucleotide substitution, insertion and deletion in the greater genome
Here is a 2010 publication about the evolution of pseudogenes and how they are used written by Ondrej Podlaha, University of California, Davis, California, USA and Jianzhi Zhang, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA

http://www.umich.edu/~zhanglab/publi...a_2010_ELS.pdf

Again dumbonyc you need to brush up on pseudogens

Darwin was Right | Pseudogenes

Here is a very cool paper published in 2014 about genetic variation in taste receptor pseudogenes and how this provides evidence for a dynamic role in human evolution. BMC Evolutionary Biology | Full text | Genetic variation in taste receptor pseudogenes provides evidence for a dynamic role in human evolution

Old 06-13-2015, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I understand the abstract of this paper. What is my interpretation of that paper that is nonsensical?

That paper has nothing to do with pseudogenes and how they are used in evolution today.

You made the claim that Pseudo genes being used to prove evolution is out of date. It is not out of date.

Yale would not be posting outdated science on their website.

Background Information on Pseudogenes

Here is a 2010 publication about the evolution of pseudogenes and how they are used written by Ondrej Podlaha, University of California, Davis, California, USA and Jianzhi Zhang, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA

http://www.umich.edu/~zhanglab/publi...a_2010_ELS.pdf

Again dumbonyc you need to brush up on pseudogens

Darwin was Right | Pseudogenes

Here is a very cool paper published in 2014 about genetic variation in taste receptor pseudogenes and how this provides evidence for a dynamic role in human evolution. BMC Evolutionary Biology | Full text | Genetic variation in taste receptor pseudogenes provides evidence for a dynamic role in human evolution
Your interpretation is nonsensical because you are suggesting that phylogenetic analysis stems from days before sequencing data was available. If you don't see the absurdity in that statement then nothing can help you understand the topic it's actually discussing.

Let's also reiterate this point for the hard of understanding: [These concerns] do not mean to say that limited data sets aren't available that suggest tree-like branching within phyla. It's abducing everything to a broader common origin that falls into problems.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Your interpretation is nonsensical because you are suggesting that phylogenetic analysis stems from days before sequencing data was available. If you don't see the absurdity in that statement then nothing can help you understand the topic it's actually discussing.

Let's also reiterate this point for the hard of understanding: [These concerns] do not mean to say that limited data sets aren't available that suggest tree-like branching within phyla. It's abducing everything to a broader common origin that falls into problems.
I am not suggesting that phylogenetic analysis stems from days before sequencing data was available. That is just plain absurd. Show me where I suggested this?

We are talking about 2 different subjects here.

I am talking about how Pseudogenes are used in evolution. I have posted several current papers to demonstrate this.

You made the claim that using Pseudogenes is outdated. Again I have posted current peer reviewed articles and publications that prove otherwise.

I'm talking about Pseudogenes and how they are used in science to prove evolution...what are you talking about?

Creation Mythes can twist and twist and twist the science but it never matches up with the points they are trying to prove. They are not scientists but sure like to pretend that they are.

Last edited by Matadora; 06-13-2015 at 06:56 AM..

Old 06-13-2015, 06:50 AM

Looks like Matadora edited his post just in time to remove the quote from the abstract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity