Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2015, 06:53 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousseff View Post
Looks like Matadora edited his post just in time to remove the quote from the abstract.
No she edited it right after she posted it due to misreading the abstract.

But in no way did I ever suggest that phylogenetic analysis stems from days before sequencing data was available.

And that paper has nothing to do with how Pseudogenes are used in science today.

dumbinnyc you need to update your knowledge.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:58 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yousseff View Post
Sorry Arequipa, but why is it around a half of your posts either barely make sense or go off on a complete tangent to the topic being discussed?

Youseff, why is it that you have not the brain capacity to make sense of my posts, or the mental flexibility to spot the relevance?

Just for once, I am going to tell one of you tossers without two brain cells to bang together to go *********rself in the hope of injecting some brain cells.

I enjoyed that

Old 06-13-2015, 07:01 AM

159 posts, read 177,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
We are talking about 2 different subjects here.

I am talking about how Pseudogenes are used in evolution. I have posted several current papers to demonstrate this.

You made the claim that using Pseudogenes is outdated. Again I have posted current peer reviewed articles and publications that prove otherwise.
All of this orthology falls under the umbrella of phylogenetics, so it is one subject. For the simple purpose of delineating common ancestries, the difference between coding and non-coding markers (including pseudogenes) is largely arbitrary.

It's easy to disprove your attempt to divide the two by citing studies that examine the phylogeny of both.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:12 AM

Quote:
No she edited it right after she posted it due to misreading the abstract.

But in no way did I ever suggest that phylogenetic analysis stems from days before sequencing data was available.
If I recall what you wrote before you modified your post, it was based on this quote:

"Here we consider how LGT and endosymbiosis bear on contemporary views of microbial evolution, most of which stem from the days before genome sequences were available."

Your interpretation of it was that the paper (which clearly presents phylogenetic data from the offset) was using data from before genome sequencing was available to assert contemporary models of microbial evolution.

It's not relevant to the topic at hand, but I'm just pointing out what I was responding to.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUMBONyc View Post
All of this orthology falls under the umbrella of phylogenetics, so it is one subject. For the simple purpose of delineating common ancestries, the difference between coding and non-coding markers (including pseudogenes) is largely arbitrary.

For example, there are studies that examine the phylogeny of both.
LOL I know what I wrote and I was laughing at the abstract because I thought it was making a claim that I knew could not be true.

Your Creation twisting of the facts is not going to work.

We know that orthologous loci are genes that have evolved directly from an ancestral gene.

We also know that pseudogenes are vitally important since they provide a record of how the genomic DNA has been changed without such evolutionary pressure and can be used as a model for determining the underlying rates of nucleotide substitution, insertion and deletion in the greater genome.

Your outdated paper from 2006 has nothing to do with what I am discussing.

Your Creation Myth is still a myth and your 2006 outdated paper does nothing to disprove molecular evolution or the value of pseudogenes used in proving evolution.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
LOL I know what I wrote and I was laughing at the abstract because I thought it was making a claim that I knew could not be true.

Your Creation twisting of the facts is not going to work.

We know that orthologous loci are genes that have evolved directly from an ancestral gene.

We also know that pseudogenes are vitally important since they provide a record of how the genomic DNA has been changed without such evolutionary pressure and can be used as a model for determining the underlying rates of nucleotide substitution, insertion and deletion in the greater genome.

Your outdated paper from 2006 has nothing to do with what I am discussing.

Your Creation Myth is still a myth and your 2006 outdated paper does nothing to disprove molecular evolution or the value of pseudogenes used in proving evolution.
Okay, it looks like you've now come full circle and are just repeating points that we've already covered several times.

I think this is as far as we can take this topic (at least without you getting more agitated than you are).

Just one point that needs addressing is that not all orthologous markers stem from common ancestry because some mechanisms of gene transfer show site-selection specificity. But that's a topic for another discussion.

Last edited by DUMBONyc; 06-13-2015 at 08:12 AM..

Old 06-13-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUMBONyc View Post
Okay, it looks like you've now come full circle and are simply repeating points that we've already covered several times.

I think this is as far as we can take this topic without you getting more agitated.

Just one point that needs addressing is that not all orthologous markers stem from common ancestry because some mechanisms of gene transfer show site-selection specificity. But that's a topic for another discussion.
Glad you just edited it from trying to tell me that I am all wrong.

You have been all wrong and off topic from any points I've been making with respect to Pseudogenes and evolution.

I would be interested in seeing a recent published paper that supports your claim that not all orthologous markers stem from common ancestry.

We know without a doubt that Orthologs are genes in different species that evolved from a common ancestral gene by speciation. Normally, orthologs retain the same function in the course of evolution. Identification of orthologs is critical for reliable prediction of gene function in newly sequenced genomes. This is good enough for me and proves my points perfectly.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
I would be interested in seeing a recent published paper that supports your claim that not all orthologous markers stem from common ancestry.

We know without a doubt that Orthologs are genes in different species that evolved from a common ancestral gene by speciation. Normally, orthologs retain the same function in the course of evolution. Identification of orthologs is critical for reliable prediction of gene function in newly sequenced genomes.
This is a review article on the subject.

Molecular genetics and target site specificity of retroviral integration. - PubMed - NCBI

And some primary studies:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15314653
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16291214
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14567911

Old 06-13-2015, 08:44 AM

I briefly looked at all of the articles (none of which are current) and no where do they infer or suggest what you claimed about orthologous markers.

Which is why you can't find what you are trying to claim supported anywhere.

This really has nothing to do with Pseudogenes and how they are used to prove evolution.

Evolution is not in question at all which is why I find it puzzling that you keep posting useless outdated published papers that have nothing to do with debunking molecular evolution or evolution in general.

What is your real agenda? This is how Creationist try to twist the data and put up smokescreens. You don't seem to understand that the molecular world today is far different than just 4 years ago. This is why I keep suggesting that you need to update you knowledge.

There is no question about Pseudogenes and how they prove evolution...there are many current published papers about this as well. Molecular Evolution is exploding and this is a very fun time to be in the world of Molecular Diagnostics which is where I am

Published 2015 Molecular Evolution of the CYP2D Subfamily in Primates: Purifying Selection on Substrate Recognition Sites without the Frequent or Long-Tract Gene Conversion

Published 2015 Genome evolution in an ancient bacteria-ant symbiosis: parallel gene loss among Blochmannia spanning the origin of the ant tribe Camponotini

Published 2015 PLOS ONE: Complete Chloroplast Genome of the Wollemi Pine (Wollemia nobilis): Structure and Evolution

Published 2015 http://www.zoores.ac.cn/EN/abstract/abstract3557.shtml#

Published 2014 Increased rate of hair keratin gene loss in the cetacean lineage

Old 06-13-2015, 08:55 AM

Quote:
I briefly looked at all of the articles (none of which are current) and no where do they infer or suggest what you claimed about orthologous markers.

Which is why you can't find what you are trying to claim supported anywhere.

This really has nothing to do with Pseudogenes and how they are used to prove evolution.

Evolution is not in question at all which is why I find it puzzling that you keep posting useless outdated published papers that have nothing to do with debunking molecular evolution or evolution in general.

What is your real agenda? This is how Creationist try to twist the data and put up smokescreens. You don't seem to understand that the molecular world today is far different than just 4 years ago. This is why I keep suggesting that you need to update you knowledge.

There is no question about Pseudogenes and how they prove evolution...there are many current published papers about this as well. Molecular Evolution is exploding and this is a very fun time to be in the world of Molecular Diagnostics which is where I am
What it means is that gene transfer vectors (in this case retroviruses) can transmit DNA code "horizontally" across species boundaries altering orthologous locations on chromosomes of different organisms.

Some postulate that up to 50% of the human genome is derived from these mechanisms rather than through "vertical" gene transfer (directly from ancestor to offspring), so the implications are significant if one is intending to formulate some taxonomic scheme based on sequence similarities in orthologous loci.

If you don't understand the significance of this, and you think that local taxonomic data on pseudogenes refutes these broader mechanisms of gene transfer, then you don't understand the subject matter and are simply out of your depth on this topic.

Last edited by DUMBONyc; 06-13-2015 at 09:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity