Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 01:19 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,603 times

Advertisements

During my commute today I listened to the podcast message by James MacDonald titled 'Christ on the Cross'. It was very moving and powerful message on Jesus' death and what it means for us. I just wanted to share it with all of you in the hopes it will stir your spirit as it stirred mine. I found myself moved to tears because of the sacrifice Christ endured for me. God bless!

Christ on the Cross

It is in two parts and they are both very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 03:29 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,231,979 times
Kind of different that MacDonald's talk focuses on SELF, and not a focus on others SIN..quite different from the evangelical message that is spoken here by so many.

Here is a great article about dying on the cross..

God did not Kill Jesus on the Cross for our Sins

Old 05-27-2015, 04:22 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Kind of different that MacDonald's talk focuses on SELF, and not a focus on others SIN..quite different from the evangelical message that is spoken here by so many.

Here is a great article about dying on the cross..

God did not Kill Jesus on the Cross for our Sins
This article treats Jesus as if He is some sort of pundit - where what He says is up for debate.

But towards your point on death, the article says...

“Why did Jesus die on a cross?”
Jesus died on the cross because he offended those in power.
Jesus died on a cross because he challenged the status quo.
Jesus died on a cross because love would not sit silently by as those who had little were being stepped on, used, and abused by those who had so very much.

“Why did Jesus die on a cross?”
Jesus died on a cross to show us what love looks like in action.

Those assumptions may or may not be correct. However, the Bible says...

Acts 2:23-24 - this Man, delivered over by the predetermined plan and foreknowledge of God, you nailed to a cross by the hands of godless men and put Him to death. 24 "But God raised Him up again, putting an end to the agony of death, since it was impossible for Him to be held in its power.

God's plan.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:46 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
my mom always says "Well, they crucified Jesus"
I always answer they beat him. Then they crossed him. He was dead by 3pm.
He got off easy from where I am sitting.

and no he didn't die for "our sins" thats foolish.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:37 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,595,058 times
John 15:18-25.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:39 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post

How is it foolish? That's a rediculous statement. The entire Scripture states very clearly WHY Jesus died on the cross. It's not even up for debate. I could fill this post with a mountain of Scripture that says as much. My 8 year old son even knows this.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:57 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,263,697 times
Quote:
I totally agree...

He died because the Roman authorities and the Jewish council wanted Jesus dead. He was a political and social trouble-maker in their eyes.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:24 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I totally agree...

He died because the Roman authorities and the Jewish council wanted Jesus dead. He was a political and social trouble-maker in their eyes.
That's how I see it too, pretty much.

I don't think a crucifixion is inspiring at all. It's gory. And the idea that his own father figured it was a good deal is just sadistic and stupid.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:26 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
Quote:

Why is that foolish?

Old 05-27-2015, 09:39 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,926,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Why is that foolish?
Scapegoat theology will simply not fly. It is foolish to think that punishing a "whipping boy" is in any way shape or form justice. That His death under Law, though innocent in essence, nullifies Law as basis for judgement makes sense. It is not about Law and Justice, under which we stand condemned, but about love and mercy, so that those who live by that standard are granted the mercy that love allows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity