Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 11:46 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
I don't pretend when eternal life is in the balance when Jesus says the only work God requires is to believe. <- (period)

Correct, the commandments are NOT suggestions to those who believe Jesus is their example, or have to prove themselves worthy or what must they do as the young man once asked Jesus.

It's either or ... Jesus the substitute or it's you (generically speaking) on your own .... as one day all will realize. (Matthew 25:30-46)

Unlike your wishful imagery ... we all to know that it's actually the opposite of whom is the least bit open-minded when faced with the truth.
Debating some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good at playing chess you are, the pigeon is just going to knock down all the pieces, poop on the board, and walk around all triumphant. Please feel free to have the last word, twin.spin. This isn't even supposed to be a faith versus works debate in the first place, but you have managed to turn it into one. Well done as usual.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:57 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
We know what you say, and why; but it does not make it the truth?
Quote:
Nothing new under the sun ... those who oppose the Truth would have done so even if Jesus were to say it in person.

You and the usual amigos oppose me specifically for simply no other reason than I dare to repeat and unwaver from what the Truth said.
When you condemn others, there will always be unwavering opposition.
For God, did not send his Son into the world - to condemn it.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:08 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:
I don't pretend when eternal life is in the balance when Jesus says the only work God requires is to believe. <- (period)

Correct, the commandments are NOT suggestions to those who believe Jesus is their example, or have to prove themselves worthy or what must they do as the young man once asked Jesus.

It's either or ... Jesus the substitute or it's you (generically speaking) on your own .... as one day all will realize. (Matthew 25:30-46)

Unlike your wishful imagery ... Our mission teams regretfully know that it's actually the opposite of whom is the least bit open-minded when faced with the truth. We pray that Holy Spirit still works that seed they planted for those who hear the true gospel message.
Why, if Jesus said the only requirement is to believe, are all His parables about DOING something?

I don't want to hear what Paul said, or Peter, John or anyone else, just Jesus. But you keep changing what He SAID to what you BELIEVE.

That's not exactly "biblical."

Where did JESUS say, God, the Father, and I, AND the Holy Spirit are all the same entity? Now He may have said something that made those followers of Greek philosophy believe He meant that--but that's not what many of the early fathers believed. It came up much later. And the idea makes the God of the Jews a liar in Deuteronomy 6:4-9

Quote:
Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.
Where in those verses does it say THREE in ONE? Nowhere. How long were the children of Israel to remember this commandment? Constantly.

Since the Babylonians and the Egyptians both had Triune gods long before Christianity, is it possible that heathens influenced christians? Not only possible--but probable. Don't think so? Where did Christianity get the idea that a christmas tree is a way to worship the Advent of Christ? Somewhere in the bible? Or was it still another pagan custom sucked into a Christianity that doesn't resemble in the slightest the faith of those first century followers.

It's not that you are necessarily wrong, Twin, it's just that there is insufficient evidence to prove that a Triune God arose out of early Christian practices which arose out of Mosaic tradition. To state that someone isn't a Christian because they don't believe a doctrine that at best is on very shaky ground is the height of hypocrisy, arrogance, and ignorance due to lack of scholarship.

So while you love to show the angry God of the OT, you deny His very essence by denying the monotheistic beliefs of the Jews. Now if you have a verse where Jesus said that they got the monotheistic God wrong in the OT (and I have a few others where He said the OT was wrong), some of us might consider it. Until you can do that, you are on very shaky ground. More than that, yours is the only mortal soul in danger of hellfire for talking like the Pharisees whom Jesus called vipers.

The wishful imagery, the lack of scholarship, and the arrogance of declaring others "lost," dwell fully as a triune god in----YOU.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:08 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
Quote:
When you condemn others, there will always be unwavering opposition.
For God, did not send his Son into the world - to condemn it.
yet the very next sentence Jesus did just that

John 3:17
For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

John 3:18
Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:27 AM

Quote:
yet the very next sentence Jesus did just that

John 3:17
For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

John 3:18
Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.
What does, believe him mean to you?

Old 06-24-2015, 12:34 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:
What does, believe him mean to you?
I don't think Twin gets the idea that the following verse in John 3:17 may very well be referencing the preceding sentence in 3:16.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I don't think Twin gets the idea that the following verse in John 3:17 may very well be referencing the preceding sentence in 3:16.
It's called Tunnel vision, where one's sight has been constricted.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:20 AM

75 posts, read 51,429 times
here is a little spin for twin.spin , the Jews whom you say are gods chosen people do not believe in a 3 headed monstrosity. there God is Jehovah whom you hate!

Old 06-24-2015, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Is that you, Jim Carrey?

An adversary does not have to be a liar.
"Do not add to His words,Lest He rebuke you, and you be found a liar." Proverbs 30:6 NKJV

Old 06-24-2015, 02:44 AM

You guys really have your own unknowable 3 headed god, unlike all others, like the ancients. But hey who am I...show me the word trinity in the bible, and I'll believe! And If you can't, don't be prideful, just shut up and sit down! You might learn somthing...thats leads to life...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity