Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 07:26 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonBradu View Post
How exactly am I supposed to trust a book that has notoriously been tampered with several times throughout history?
You don't, nor is there any reason why you should. The funniest part of the people who claim absolute authority for the Bible is that their own book gives as the only "guide" something quite different, but you see, they don't trust their absolute authority to be telling the truth about that.

When you do your own checking and realize that the spirit of concern for the well-being of everyone (agape) is the only real basis for community with God and man you are well on the way, and can see the book as having some really good explanations of how that is applied, and some not so good.

Oh, and a for zthatzmanz28 since I couldn't "rep."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 10:11 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonBradu View Post
How exactly am I supposed to trust a book that has notoriously been tampered with several times throughout history?
Education + common sense makes sifting the wheat from the chaff a relatively simple task.

Unfortunately, many of the loudest Christians lack both.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:27 AM

1,788 posts, read 1,172,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Education + common sense makes sifting the wheat from the chaff a relatively simple task.

I'd rather be dumb with my Soul lighted, than "educated" with a light bulb turned on above my head.

Old 06-21-2015, 10:29 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HushWhisper View Post
I'd rather be dumb with my Soul lighted, than "educated" with a light bulb turned on above my head.
I know you would.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:53 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
As Dr. Wallace pointed out concerning Ehrman,
In the Appendix of the paperback edition of Bart Ehrman's Misquoting Jesus, Ehrman quoting Ehrman actually admits...

"Essential Christian beliefs are not affected by textual variants in the manuscript tradition of the New Testament."
It appears that in your thinking the only REAL New Testament SCHOLAR's are those with whom you agree.
Watch "Dr" Wallace in action..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg-dJA3SnTA

Old 06-21-2015, 01:01 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HushWhisper View Post
And that's very sad. Let's hope the new generations opt for the latter.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:14 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,785,792 times
Jesus said that those who do the will of God would know about God's word. One cannot explain it but only guide another to find it. There are few who find it.

No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. Those are the words of the son of man.

Those who use the words of God and the son of man see the kingdom of heaven and dwell in it forever.

"My words are life to those who find them, to man's whole being they are health."

Old 06-21-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
Jesus said that those who do the will of God would know about God's word. One cannot explain it but only guide another to find it. There are few who find it.

No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. Those are the words of the son of man.

Those who use the words of God and the son of man see the kingdom of heaven and dwell in it forever.

"My words are life to those who find them, to man's whole being they are health."
Then Jesus told us that the will of God was TO LOVE GOD WITH EVERYTHING WE HAVE and to LOVE OUR NEIGHBOR AS OUR SELF.

Then He told us to GO FORTH and MAKE IT SO...

Old 06-21-2015, 02:32 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

It's helped you so much that you have to continue to tell Christians. You don't feel confident enough to live without some type of affirmation that you gain from another belief system's 'faults'.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
As Dr. Wallace pointed out concerning Ehrman,
In the Appendix of the paperback edition of Bart Ehrman's Misquoting Jesus, Ehrman quoting Ehrman actually admits...

"Essential Christian beliefs are not affected by textual variants in the manuscript tradition of the New Testament."
It appears that in your thinking the only REAL New Testament SCHOLAR's are those with whom you agree.
Absolutely agree, but what textual variants appear to do is AFFECT the way in which evangelical fundies APPLY and PRACTICE christian beliefs...

Why do evangelical fundies ASSUME that doubting the bible is the same as doubting God?

What I truly DOUBT if the evangelical fundie's application of scripture and their willingness to do hateful acts in the name of the bible based on their superior understanding of a vengeful god-n--the-tiny-box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity