Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 07:19 AM

260 posts, read 231,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
Where was this again. Jesus said a lot of stuff that never make sence. It is usually a lot of double talk.

You know Shibainu, I looked at the verses in the Gospels where this story is told and a few more issues came up as I was reading them side by side. In Mark 4:10-13 (Mark being the oldest biblical Gospel according to many scholars), the story is rather short (many believe that as the legend of Jesus began to grow, the later Gospels began to add more details, some even claiming the Gospel of Matthew "corrected" and/or added to Mark's basic stories). It reads:

But when He was alone, those around Him with the twelve asked Him about the parable. And He said to them, “To you it has been given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God; but to those who are outside, all things come in parables, so that

‘ Seeing they may see and not perceive,
And hearing they may hear and not understand;
Lest they should turn,
And their sins be forgiven them.’

And He said to them, “Do you not understand this parable? How then will you understand all the parables?

He tells his Disciples that they are given the ability to discern his parables, yet they are still lost and he has to go on to explain it to them. What they seem to understand is the clear, straightforward explanation, NOT the parable(s).

In Luke 8:9-10, it reads:

Then His disciples asked Him, saying, “What does this parable mean?”
And He said, “To you it has been given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God, but to the rest it is given in parables, that

‘ Seeing they may not see,
And hearing they may not understand.’

Then Matthew 11:10-17 we have

And the disciples came and said to Him, “Why do You speak to them in parables?” He answered and said to them, “Because it has been given to you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given. For whoever has, to him more will be given, and he will have abundance; but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him. Therefore I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand. And in them the prophecy of Isaiah is fulfilled, which says:

‘ Hearing you will hear and shall not understand,
And seeing you will see and not perceive;
For the hearts of this people have grown dull.
Their ears are hard of hearing,
And their eyes they have closed,
Lest they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears,
Lest they should understand with their hearts and turn,
So that I should heal them.’

But blessed are your eyes for they see, and your ears for they hear; for assuredly, I say to you that many prophets and righteous men desired to see what you see, and did not see it, and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it.

It appears to me here that what is being said is that the Jews were being willful and refused to hear the message Jesus was bringing to them and as a result, they forfeited their opportunity to hear and understand the words of Jesus which, inexplicably, are not straightforward, but spoken in symbolism which when you think of it, none of us would have understood either.

Since I am aware the New Testament writers (notably Matthew) took some serious liberties when claiming New Testament events were fulfillments of alleged Old Testament prophecies, I went back to check on this one found in Isaiah chapter 6. The passage in Isaiah gives the impression that the people are purposely blinded to "truth" because God ultimately wants to teach them a lesson. Again, this idea emerges, as with Pharaoh, that God stacks the deck against some so that we have a villain in every story to highlight the hero, the chosen, the special ones, the ultimate message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 07:34 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,286,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyFourSeven View Post
Even his own Disciples had no clue what he was talking about and he even seems frustrated that they just don't get it.
But it's interesting to note that after Pentecost, when the Holy Spirit was poured out, how they totally got it.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
But it's interesting to note that after Pentecost, when the Holy Spirit was poured out, how they totally got it.
In the great scheme of things, that is how it is supposed to play out.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:40 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,286,450 times
Quote:
In the great scheme of things, that is how it is supposed to play out.
And it's amazing how it did, and still is the same today.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:48 AM

Quote:
You know Shibainu, I looked at the verses in the Gospels where this story is told and a few more issues came up as I was reading them side by side. In Mark 4:10-13 (Mark being the oldest biblical Gospel according to many scholars), the story is rather short (many believe that as the legend of Jesus began to grow, the later Gospels began to add more details, some even claiming the Gospel of Matthew "corrected" and/or added to Mark's basic stories). It reads:

But when He was alone, those around Him with the twelve asked Him about the parable. And He said to them, “To you it has been given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God; but to those who are outside, all things come in parables, so that

‘ Seeing they may see and not perceive,
And hearing they may hear and not understand;
Lest they should turn,
And their sins be forgiven them.’

And He said to them, “Do you not understand this parable? How then will you understand all the parables?

He tells his Disciples that they are given the ability to discern his parables, yet they are still lost and he has to go on to explain it to them. What they seem to understand is the clear, straightforward explanation, NOT the parable(s).

In Luke 8:9-10, it reads:

Then His disciples asked Him, saying, “What does this parable mean?”
And He said, “To you it has been given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God, but to the rest it is given in parables, that

‘ Seeing they may not see,
And hearing they may not understand.’

Then Matthew 11:10-17 we have

And the disciples came and said to Him, “Why do You speak to them in parables?” He answered and said to them, “Because it has been given to you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given. For whoever has, to him more will be given, and he will have abundance; but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him. Therefore I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor do they understand. And in them the prophecy of Isaiah is fulfilled, which says:

‘ Hearing you will hear and shall not understand,
And seeing you will see and not perceive;
For the hearts of this people have grown dull.
Their ears are hard of hearing,
And their eyes they have closed,
Lest they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears,
Lest they should understand with their hearts and turn,
So that I should heal them.’

But blessed are your eyes for they see, and your ears for they hear; for assuredly, I say to you that many prophets and righteous men desired to see what you see, and did not see it, and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it.

It appears to me here that what is being said is that the Jews were being willful and refused to hear the message Jesus was bringing to them and as a result, they forfeited their opportunity to hear and understand the words of Jesus which, inexplicably, are not straightforward, but spoken in symbolism which when you think of it, none of us would have understood either.

Since I am aware the New Testament writers (notably Matthew) took some serious liberties when claiming New Testament events were fulfillments of alleged Old Testament prophecies, I went back to check on this one found in Isaiah chapter 6. The passage in Isaiah gives the impression that the people are purposely blinded to "truth" because God ultimately wants to teach them a lesson. Again, this idea emerges, as with Pharaoh, that God stacks the deck against some so that we have a villain in every story to highlight the hero, the chosen, the special ones, the ultimate message.
Oh, I forgot to add that the passages above all claim to fulfill Isaiah 6, but even then there is yet another problem IF the Disciples had a V8 moment after the holy spirit slapped them upside their heads. In Isaiah 6 the prophet asks how long will the people be deaf and blinded to the truth. He is told that it will last up to the time when their worst fears are realized, that being, their land wasted and people decimated, something that did not happen by the time of that Pentecost.

My guess would be the prophet had the Assyrians in mind, as they ere contemporary to his day. Others would say he was predicting the growing threat of Babylon, but I can also see others, seeing the problem the New Testament claim of fulfillment will be, would claim that Isaiah was referring to the fall of Jerusalem in A.D 70 or the start of the Jewish diaspora when Hadrian, sick of their nonsense, exiled and banished Jews from Judea.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
And it's amazing how it did, and still is the same today.
Operative world being 'scheme.'

Old 01-24-2008, 11:07 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,066,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
TwentyFourSeven: All of these issues are spiritually discerned. Are you born again? Do you possess the mind of Christ and the aid of the Holy Spirit to understand the things you seem to be ridiculing?

Preterist
No he's not. He's a self professing atheist Moderator cut: personal remarks

He's one of those (By his own words) who was totally involved with church, grew up in the church etc then "got smart" and walked away.

Moderator cut: personal remarks

So that's who he is.

BTW - Good posts!

Last edited by Alpha8207; 01-24-2008 at 08:17 PM..

Old 01-24-2008, 11:37 AM

14,989 posts, read 9,919,701 times
So........ I guess the question is;

24/7... Did God harden your heart? I ask, because you sound very bitter.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
No he's not. He's a self professing atheist

He's one of those (By his own words) who was totally involved with church, grew up in the church etc then "got smart" and walked away.

So that's who he is.

BTW - Good posts!
Well thank you kindly for answering for me and for knowing what exactly is in my heart. When were you promoted to the throne, sir?

Last edited by Alpha8207; 01-24-2008 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 01-24-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
So........ I guess the question is;

24/7... Did God harden your heart? I ask, because you sound very bitter.
In this thread? Where?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity