Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2019, 03:11 AM

16,779 posts, read 15,843,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
So is capital punishment ever justified?
No.

Quote:
Ever?
Never

Quote:
Is God EVER right to command the government to put a person to death?
No. It's irrelevant anyway. God never told the government to do anything.

----------

Capital punishment cannot be overturned on appeal. Wrongful convictions happen. Ergo, it is never justified.

Old 02-02-2019, 03:34 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,993,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
that's a pretty juvenile comment to make in light of what i shared. i really do hope that doesn't reflect your actual thoughts about what went on over there during that time. watching friends and relatives die at the hands of a murderer is no laughing matter...in any way shape or form. and that goes for anyone of any color, race, creed or orientation.
What is fascinating about what you related, lemur, is that you don't see that you do the same things Hitler did without his boldness.

Old 02-02-2019, 03:46 AM

So, I looked up the first post attributed to me in lemur' list:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Well, Fezzilla, your "contribution" is nothing but the usual substanceless diatribe that never even mentions the questions raised. Really,why DID you sound off when you have nothing to add but your name to the list of ignorantly prejudiced?
And guess what? Good advice about actually addressing questions raised rather than mindless repetition of catch phrases without actual substance. Why am I not surprised?

Old 02-02-2019, 08:11 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,132,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
No.

Never

----------

Capital punishment cannot be overturned on appeal. Wrongful convictions happen. Ergo, it is never justified.
So a serial killer/rapist is not worthy of a death penalty? How about Hitler? Would he have warranted it?

I know you enjoy inserting yourself into conversations where you're simply out of your league, but I was really hoping to get Romulus to answer that. We know you have a disdain for religion. We get it. You should realize that such a disdain and closed mind on a topic kind of disqualifies you from thinking rationally on it. It's obvious to the rest of us, your presuppositions.

Last edited by BaptistFundie; 02-02-2019 at 08:25 AM..

Old 02-02-2019, 08:43 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,337,228 times
Quote:
So a serial killer/rapist is not worthy of a death penalty? How about Hitler? Would he have warranted it?

I know you enjoy inserting yourself into conversations where you're simply out of your league, but I was really hoping to get Romulus to answer that. We know you have a disdain for religion. We get it. You should realize that such a disdain and closed mind on a topic kind of disqualifies you from thinking rationally on it. It's obvious to the rest of us, your presuppositions.
Canada banned capital punishment over 50 years ago, as have most civilized countries.

Not surprising the US of A - with its last bastion of fundies holding the fort - remains barbaric.

Old 02-02-2019, 09:29 AM

6,852 posts, read 2,980,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy
No.

Never

----------

Quote:

Sorry. I normally do respond to questions asked of me. At one time (many, many years ago) I was a staunch supporter of the death penalty for certain crimes. Later, as mensaguy and others have already pointed out, wrongful convictions and the carrying out of executions of the (later found to be) innocent swayed me to the point where I became anti-death penalty. As I got older and more life experienced, the idea of state-approved killing of one human being by another was barbaric to me. There is no way that I could take the life of another. So no, I don't approve of the death penalty, even though I might have been known to carelessly say from time to time, "He/she deserves to be executed."

Anyway, back to the main topic ...you asked a question of me so I'll ask one of you. Are you in agreement with Leviticus 20:13 that states 'men lying with men' should receive the penalty of death? YOU believe that that text refers to homosexuality. I don't for reasons previously stated. So, as a Bible-believing Fundamentalist Christian, do you at least understand (even though you may not agree) why people such as Pastor Steven Anderson call for the death of homosexuals based on Leviticus 20:13?

Old 02-02-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:

Amazing.... people cite studies and many good reasons for a position taken and THEY "can't think rationally" but you can with your unsupported claims of "what God wants" and you wonder why no reasonable person takes you seriously?

Old 02-02-2019, 09:59 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,763,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Canada banned capital punishment over 50 years ago, as have most civilized countries.

Not surprising the US of A - with its last bastion of fundies holding the fort - remains barbaric.
And not surprising about the U.S. is that we remain the one country within western civilization that has more violence than any other nation.

But fundamentalists lie to themselves that harsh punishment is a solution. In that respect they are like their British forefathers who believed hanging children for theft would reduce theft and make the "respectable" people "safer." It proved to be a fallacy.
Quote:
Laws and policies designed to deter crime by focusing mainly on increasing the severity of punishment are ineffective partly because criminals know little about the sanctions for specific crimes.
More severe punishments do not “chasten” individuals convicted of crimes, and prisons may exacerbate recidivism.
https://nij.gov/five-things/Pages/deterrence.aspx

Since they have invented a vengeful god, fundamentalists see themselves as "vengeance on earth," little gods who are there to insure the will of their god who sends people to hell for doing nothing is equally vicious in this life.

Contrary to fundamentalists' flawed thinking that longer prison terms work, here is a comment from Business Insider, hardly a bastion of "liberal" thinkers:

Quote:
From 1999 to 2012 New York decreased their state prison population by 26%, while the nationwide state prison population increased by 10%. During that time the violent crime rate in New York dropped by 31%, while the national rate only dropped 26%. New York accomplished this with a combination of changes in policy and practice. Mandatory minimums were reduced, and in some cases eliminated, and parole approval rates grew significantly.
So if politicians are serious about being tough on crime they should focus on catching criminals, rather than longer sentences.
https://www.businessinsider.com/deat...e-trump-2018-3

But vengeance is the theme in the minds of fundamentalists and their politicians. Donald Trump called for the execution of opioid drug dealers as a method of deterring the opioid crisis. What he should have done was call for the legalization of marijuana. Evidence shows that opioid misuse decreases in states that have legalized it, even if just medically.

Quote:
A University of Arkansas at Little Rock professor’s research has shown that local access to legal drugs at the county level reduces opioid and heroin-related mortality rates.
https://www.thv11.com/article/news/h...7-5b3d1c8f83fb

Dr. Rhett Smith at U of A expected to find the opposite of what he did. This study of individual counties was completed last October and Arkansas now has before its legislature a bill proposed by a Republican to allow medical marijuana use in all counties. Such would effectively mute the cry of religious fundamentalists in certain counties of the state that don't allow it.

The death penalty is simply another misguided notion that it "deters" crime, as is continued opposition to marijuana, even medical marijuana. It's all about control, not about justice, nor about decreasing crime. Fundamentalists at heart are fearful, vengeful folks. BF is a prime example.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:31 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,627,918 times
Quote:
So is capital punishment ever justified? Ever? Is God EVER right to command the government to put a person to death?
If you or any *saved* christian killed a homosexual/abomination, get the death penalty and was put to death, would your god use capitol punishment on you and send you to eternal torture or welcome you into eternal bliss, BFUN?

Do you consider homosexuals an abomination BFUN?

Last edited by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15; 02-02-2019 at 11:13 AM..

Old 02-02-2019, 11:13 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,500,862 times
Quote:
So, I looked up the first post attributed to me in lemur' list:

Quote:
Well, Fezzilla, your "contribution" is nothing but the usual substanceless diatribe that never even mentions the questions raised. Really,why DID you sound off when you have nothing to add but your name to the list of ignorantly prejudiced?

And guess what? Good advice about actually addressing questions raised rather than mindless repetition of catch phrases without actual substance. Why am I not surprised?
I took a look at what was attributed to me as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I hope that someday the fundamentalist will actually get a clue, and begin to walk upright.
This is not talking about homosexuals or lesbians, but in your [their] mind that is all you [they] envision.
I am honored to make his list, although I am not a fundamentalist (progressive) or an atheist.
But I do find that the majority of fundamentalists respond mostly from their indoctrination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity