Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2018, 11:28 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The alternative is for God to create beings that can never choose, being forced to follow Him like drones. God didn't directly create evil. He created the potential for evil. If someone made a weapon out of lego bricks then you wouldn't say Lego company is evil.
Of course your god created evil, if you consider satan and the fallen angels evil. And to say that one can never chose is a fallacy as one has nothing to do with the other. In fact, there is a considerable body of evidence that suggests there is no such thing as free will.

From this long article, which you need to read a couple of times to grasp all it's nuances, there is clear evidence that free will does not exist.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...e-will/480750/

Many scientists say that the American physiologist Benjamin Libet demonstrated in the 1980s that we have no free will. It was already known that electrical activity builds up in a person’s brain before she, for example, moves her hand; Libet showed that this buildup occurs before the person consciously makes a decision to move. The conscious experience of deciding to act, which we usually associate with free will, appears to be an add-on, a post hoc reconstruction of events that occurs after the brain has already set the act in motion.

This is not an entirely new concept. Even Spinoza (you know who that is, right?) as well as Hume (again, you know who that is, right?) questioned free will as a concept.

Quote:
Wrong. Satan and his demons can influence the minds of people and lead them to do things like kill people or even commit suicide.
Other than your bible, there is no evidence of this being the case. In fact, if you actually read the above linked article (bet you won't), it is clear that neurological events can be measured, and things like tumors can alter behavior. No imaginary critters need to be involved.

If you want to read a perspective on the above article, here is one that discusses it.

There's no such thing as free wil...

Old 09-20-2018, 11:29 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,846,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Exactly. I even had 2 mods going ape to rip into me. All because I dared to say God talked to me and disagreed with what someone else said Jesus told them.

It really is quite obvious who the protected class is and who the hated ones are around here.

You basically told me that Jesus doesn't know me, and by extension doesn't love me. Christ would never say that to you, that isn't in His nature. That's why we all got upset with you. I've heard that my entire life, that God couldn't love someone like me. It's painful and it's wrong. Christ does know me, and He loves me. Just as much as He loves you.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:30 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Why would you not be a skeptic about claims, until they are proven? Why would you take a perception on faith and belief only?

It doesn't matter how hard I want to believe that I can breath underwater, that belief doesn't make it so. It doesn't matter how much faith I have that I can breath underwater, that still doesn't make it so.

Believing something doesn't make it true. Facts do, demonstrable, readily verifiable facts.
How do you explain the placebo effect where real physical healing takes places simply because a person believed that a drug would work? In an atheist world, that simply can't be possible. Mental thoughts shouldn't be able to make physical changes.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:36 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I don’t know who you are talking to, but there are really few conservative Christian groups who still feel the way you suggest.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:37 AM

463 posts, read 189,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Of course your god created evil, if you consider satan and the fallen angels evil. And to say that one can never chose is a fallacy as one has nothing to do with the other. In fact, there is a considerable body of evidence that suggests there is no such thing as free will.

From this long article, which you need to read a couple of times to grasp all it's nuances, there is clear evidence that free will does not exist.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...e-will/480750/

Many scientists say that the American physiologist Benjamin Libet demonstrated in the 1980s that we have no free will. It was already known that electrical activity builds up in a person’s brain before she, for example, moves her hand; Libet showed that this buildup occurs before the person consciously makes a decision to move. The conscious experience of deciding to act, which we usually associate with free will, appears to be an add-on, a post hoc reconstruction of events that occurs after the brain has already set the act in motion.

This is not an entirely new concept. Even Spinoza (you know who that is, right?) as well as Hume (again, you know who that is, right?) questioned free will as a concept.

Other than your bible, there is no evidence of this being the case. In fact, if you actually read the above linked article (bet you won't), it is clear that neurological events can be measured, and things like tumors can alter behavior. No imaginary critters need to be involved.

If you want to read a perspective on the above article, here is one that discusses it.

There's no such thing as free wil...
There isn't free will

You're either a slave to sin or a slave to Christ

Old 09-20-2018, 11:46 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
You basically told me that Jesus doesn't know me, and by extension doesn't love me. Christ would never say that to you, that isn't in His nature. That's why we all got upset with you. I've heard that my entire life, that God couldn't love someone like me. It's painful and it's wrong. Christ does know me, and He loves me. Just as much as He loves you.
If Jesus is talking to you, and I am unable to judge what he says to you, regardless of what it is, be it good, bad, crazy, sound..whatever....why do you believe you can judge what Jesus would say to anyone else?

You don't see a double standard there?

As for "someone like you"? I don't know you. I know nothing about you, and any comments I made were not to be taken any more personally than anything I'd say to anyone else I don't know.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:46 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,846,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Those Christians whom I get along with, say Jesus is the Word. Not the book. That makes sense, since the bible is chock-full of contradictions and general wrongness.

Yep, that's in John 1:1.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:00 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
If Jesus is talking to you, and I am unable to judge what he says to you, regardless of what it is, be it good, bad, crazy, sound..whatever....why do you believe you can judge what Jesus would say to anyone else?

You don't see a double standard there?

As for "someone like you"? I don't know you. I know nothing about you, and any comments I made were not to be taken any more personally than anything I'd say to anyone else I don't know.
You’re not fooling anyone.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:05 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude
Those Christians whom I get along with, say Jesus is the Word. Not the book. That makes sense, since the bible is chock-full of contradictions and general wrongness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
Yep, that's in John 1:1.
John 1:1.....from the book, which the other poster says is chock-full of contradictions and general wrongness.

What do your other sources tell you about it?

Old 09-20-2018, 12:09 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
John 1:1.....from the book, which the other poster says is chock-full of contradictions and general wrongness.

What do your other sources tell you about it?
Now now...don't confuse them by pointing out the contradictions in their philosophies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.