Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 08:51 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,332,390 times

Advertisements

Vizio probably if you asked those folks on EWTN on exactly what they MEANT by praying to the Mary"(never heard it phrased quite that way) or "pray to the saints" they would most likely say, mean, and believe that's "shorthand" for praying (ASKING) Mary (or the saints) for to JOIN in prayer with us to Jesus---remember "....pray for us sinners...." in the "hail Mary" prayer previously quoted? IF indeed they really and truly believed that Mary or any saint (please note this) OF THEIR OWN POWER could do anything "on request" they would be teaching a doctrine specifically against the belief of the Catholic church and thus in grave error at best (through ignorance or design) and potentially guilty of formal heresy (let alone misleading the "little ones" they are supposed to truthfully teach.

AGAIN, just like the works of the 72 disciples Jesus sent out in Luke 10:1-23 and miracles of the apostles in Acts (or for that matter what Moses did in the old testament) ANY power of healing or casting out demons or even parting the red sea or whatever that might SEEM to come from a "saint" or prophet is actually SOLELY through the power of God working THROUGH such human channels as He may choose for the edification of the church, the salvation of souls, and the glorification of His Name.

and now back to our regularly scheduled discussion on the differences between "R.C.'s and "piskies", LOL......and BTW some (but certainly not all) "high church" Anglicans/Episcopal folks may indeed pray the rosary and use the "hail Mary" prayer and even some of their churches are named after saints disturbing as that may be to some (including some within that church of rather different more "protestant" beliefs!!!).

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 09-26-2015 at 09:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 09:41 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
Hi, I did a lot of reflecting read about the Christian and Roman c Catholic Churches. I prayed and listened to sermons. I figured I can't run from what I fear. Believe the Chruch has it's political and theological side. If want the Chruch to be more open and not want to miss the love of God need to be more proactive. Then while trying to decide what RC church to attend found this statement that made me say being apart of the Church is where I want to be.
Courage Seeks to Help People with Same-Sex Attraction

The purpose of the ministry is to support men and women who struggle with homosexual tendencies. “These are people in the Catholic Church who need our care and love. In some cases, they have been rejected by society,” Deacon Robert M. Pallotti said. “They need to be accepted, affirmed and supported as Roman Catholics trying to remain faithful to Church teaching.”

My crux now is finding a Church to attend. I want to be involved in social ministry with the Church, but many of the Churches near don't seem very active.

Old 09-26-2015, 10:32 AM

good for you making a decision and God bless and help you in making it work. you might just contact the diocese you are in and see if they either have their own diocese wide "social ministry" program OR can point you to a near by parish that has one that you can join in with.

BTW, the church does NOT think "same sex attraction" is somehow any more inherently sinful than "opposite sex attraction" BOTH are equally sinful IF they are ACTED upon in the wrong way. Catholics believe that attraction/temptation to sin (whether sexual OR otherwise) is part and parcel of EVERYBODY'S fallen nature---all of us need the grace and mercy of God to go from "just as I am" to what God really wants me to become by turning away from whatever sin(s) attract and beset us and striving to live a new life in Christ in love and service to others.

just for the record Catholics really are Christians (at least they sure think they are!!) and while Catholics and other Christians may differ (sometimes a LOT) on a variety of things both trivial and profound---Catholics believe our common baptism in water and the Holy Spirit and confession that Jesus is Lord and Savior of all unites most all of us in a very special and real (if sadly imperfect) way.

may God bless you and give your peace on your journey of faith.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 09-26-2015 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: more info.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:33 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Many Episcopal priests became Catholics when their Church started accepting gays as ministers and also marrying gays and that is why we now have married priests in the Catholic Church.

It seems like the Episcopal Church is Catholic light. LOL It did start when King Henry wanted to divorce.
Yes, I've heard it called Catholic Lite, too. The service looks and sounds the same. If I go to a Catholic Church I can follow the service right along with everyone else without reading.

When Henry broke away, all he really did was make himself head of the church instead of the Pope so he could marry Anne Boleyn. Everything else remained the same. It was only later under his daughter Elizabeth that the Anglican church was refined to remove some of the things seen as unChristian that had been in place under the Roman church, but she also acknowledged that all but the basic beliefs were "trifles" and allowed her subjects who wanted to remain Catholic to do so.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I did not create the story. I just quoted your words.

The story of Catholic priests transferring to the Episcopal Church so they can be married and make money is a reality.

As an Episcopalian he will make a lot of money.
Ok, the way you quoted my post and then went on with the tale of priests quitting to marry and make money made it seem as if that's what you were saying my priest did. I had to let you know you were wrong.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I did not create the story. I just quoted your words.

The story of Catholic priests transferring to the Episcopal Church so they can be married and make money is a reality.

As an Episcopalian he will make a lot of money.
Not because he's an Episcopalian, though. He is making his money as a writer. Also a difficult way to make money, but he seems to be doing it!

Old 09-26-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, I've heard it called Catholic Lite, too. The service looks and sounds the same. If I go to a Catholic Church I can follow the service right along with everyone else without reading.

When Henry broke away, all he really did was make himself head of the church instead of the Pope so he could marry Anne Boleyn. Everything else remained the same. It was only later under his daughter Elizabeth that the Anglican church was refined to remove some of the things seen as unChristian that had been in place under the Roman church, but she also acknowledged that all but the basic beliefs were "trifles" and allowed her subjects who wanted to remain Catholic to do so.
well for several hundred years after the break with Rome, for many who "wanted to remain Catholic" frankly had a pretty rough row to hoe by most anybody's standards. it was considered a capital crime of treason for a Catholic priest to even enter the country whether they had any intention of fomenting rebellion against the state or not and say mass in public or secret (more than a few were tortured to try to obtain confessions of guilt and then hanged, drawn, and quartered for that) and a very serious crime to harbor said priest subject to ruinous fines and imprisonment. there is lots of info on the web on "the (catholic) English martyrs" like Edmund Campion or Robert Southwell for example of just what happened to a number of Catholic priests and laypeople at the time.

under Elizabeth and her successors there were at the very least very stiff fines for non-attendance of the "church by law established" (from which oddly enough came the term "the establishment" so beloved of the 1960's counter-culture!!!)for both Catholics and those protestants who didn't like the state church or wish to use the "book of common prayer" for public worship (they thought the established church was still too catholic!). for a long period of time prior to the early 19th century no Catholic could be elected to parliament or for that matter attend university or enter into teaching or medicine unless they specifically swore to and signed a explicit refutation of the Pope's authority and received the Eucharist according to Anglican rites. this BTW is the original "religious test act" mentioned and EXCLUDED for use by the state in the U.S. bill of rights under "freedom of religion". my understanding is that STILL no member of the English royal family can marry a Roman Catholic without forfeiting their rights of succession!!! of course, the long history of religious and political oppression of the Catholic Irish by their protestant/Anglican English conquerors is intimately connected with the religious struggles and persecutions in England.

just to be clear I am fully aware of persecution of protestants by Catholics by "bloody" Mary so BOTH churches have past actions to remember and repent of---even the "puritans" who as the pilgrims came to the new world to escape religious persecution and promptly persecuted any Catholics, Anglicans, or even Baptists (like Roger Williams who founded Rhode Island to escape religious intolerance in Massachusetts) .

BTW, the removal of Catholic influences in the Church of England was actually begun by Elizabeth's younger brother and predecessor Edward V! in whose reign most all the altars and church decorations (stained glass, paintings, sculpture) of the old church were stripped away and destroyed and most anything precious in those decorations confiscated by the state as "idolatry" and the first and second "book of common prayer" officially replaced the Catholic liturgy as the ONLY legal church services in England. the process was revoked by her older sister Mary and then renewed by Elizabeth.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 09-26-2015 at 02:54 PM..

Old 09-26-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
well for several hundred years after the break with Rome, for many who "wanted to remain Catholic" frankly had a pretty rough row to hoe by most anybody's standards. it was considered a capital crime of treason for a Catholic priest to even enter the country whether they had any intention of fomenting rebellion against the state or not and say mass in public or secret (more than a few were tortured to try to obtain confessions of guilt and then hanged, drawn, and quartered for that) and a very serious crime to harbor said priest subject to ruinous fines and imprisonment. there is lots of info on the web on "the (catholic) English martyrs" like Edmund Campion for example of just what happened to Catholic priests and laypeople at the time.

under Elizabeth and her successors there were very stiff fines for non-attendance of the "church by law established" for both Catholics and protestants who didn't like the state church. for a long period of time prior to the early 19th century no Catholic could be elected to parliament or for that matter attend university or enter into teaching or medicine unless they specifically swore to and signed a explicit refutation of the Pope's authority and received the Eucharist according to Anglican rites. this BTW is the original "religious test act" mentioned and EXCLUDED for use by the state in the U.S. bill of rights under "freedom of religion". my understanding is that STILL no member of the English royal family can marry a Roman Catholic without forfeiting their rights of succession!!! of course, the long history of religious and political oppression of the Catholic Irish by their protestant/Anglican English conquerors is intimately connected with the religious persecutions in England.

just to be clear I am fully aware of persecution of protestants by Catholics by "bloody" Mary so BOTH churches have past actions to remember and repent of---not even the "puritans" who as the pilgrims came to the new world to escape religious persecution and promptly persecuted any Catholics, Anglicans, or Baptists (like Roger Williams who founded Rhode Island to escape religious intolerance in Massachusetts) .
Thanks for expounding on what I kept very simple in my post. I didn't intend to make it sound as if Elizabeth said, "OK let's stop burning the Catholics at the stake now" and all was well in Merrie Olde England, lol.

And those of us who are old enough to remember Ireland a few decades back know it didn't work out that way.

Christians, just like all humans, have that terrible flaw within themselves of being driven to separate into "US" vs. "THEMS" for whatever reason, be it religion, race, eye shape, nose shape, location, whatever, and use "THEY'RE DIFFERENT" as an excuse for oppression and murder.

The Episcopal Church in America broke from the Church of England over the Revolution, when the Church said, "Neh, neh, if you don't swear loyalty to the King, we won't consecrate any bishops for you." Later on they returned to what is now called the Anglican Communion.

I became an Episcopalian in my 30s. I grew up in the RCA--Reformed Church of America, not to be confused with the CRC--Christian Reformed Church, both derivatives of the Dutch Reformed Church. I never did figure out what the difference was between the two, but both said the other was WRONG...about something.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
not even the "puritans" who as the pilgrims came to the new world to escape religious persecution and promptly persecuted any Catholics, Anglicans, or Baptists (like Roger Williams who founded Rhode Island to escape religious intolerance in Massachusetts) .
The Puritans also persecuted each other. I'm the descendant of a Puritan pastor who was run out of the Virginia Colony because his fellow Puritans didn't like what he preached.

Old 09-26-2015, 05:05 PM

yes, the puritans who by and large made up the "pilgrim fathers (and mothers)" were a very sincere and also a pretty tough bunch who (God love and forgive them as hopefully He loves and forgives us for the bad things we do) were not necessarily very tolerant of differing opinions within or without of their communion and were sometimes quite capable of punishing dissent and/or sin by excommunication/"shunning", exile, or if you were believed to be a witch hanging or burning at the stake I do believe. IOW, actually not especially different from the "old" church (Catholic or Anglican) they had escaped from seeking "religious freedom"!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity