Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 05:10 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,918,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I asked a Catholic said they are just Catholic Churches with a lower c that believe in God, but they are not Catholic. So I am confused. I am a baptized Roman Catholic who's been confused a lot lately on direction. Also talked to a Deacon who encouraged me to pray and find the answer of how I want God in my life. He encouraged me to look into Confirmation. However,I pray and become more confused. I want to explore other religion's with in Christianity, but not sure where to look.
The wise seek Gods council--At Jesus' baptism, God spoke from heaven( showing how utterly important it is for all to do this) he stated---This is my son the beloved, in whom I am well pleased--listen to HIM. So by learning and applying all that Jesus taught, one can see the clear path--it is the key to all of it.
Like this ultra important truth Jesus gave to us

Matt 6:33-- Therefore, keep on seeking-FIRST- the kingdom and his( Jehovah) righteousness and all these other things will be added.( sustenance, covering, spirituality) once this is applied only then one can accomplish this bottom line reality of all truth= John 4:22-24
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 10:08 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Yes, any Catholic priest that wants to get married and make money in the corporate world usually transfers to the Episcopal church. And that is a very good thing because it means they could not do the vows of poverty and chastity.
To be clear, all priests take vows of chastity. Diocesan priests do not take vows of poverty.

Old 09-26-2015, 10:31 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Many Episcopal priests became Catholics when their Church started accepting gays as ministers and also marrying gays and that is why we now have married priests in the Catholic Church.

It seems like the Episcopal Church is Catholic light. LOL It did start when King Henry wanted to divorce.
More Catholic priests have left the church to become Episcopal priests than vice versa. And shows no real sign of reversing itself.

You should really read your own church's history. True, Henry VIII did want a divorce, chiefly because Catherine of Aragon was too old to bear children, and royal succession was a deadly serious thing. After all the Wars of the Roses had almost ruined England and had ended within living memory. But you conveniently forget that the Catholic church had already set the precedent for granting royal divorces in such situations in the decades prior to Henry, most notably in Portugal. But the Pope of the time was trying to hold together an alliance between England and the Hapsburgs against the French, so it didn't serve the papacy's needs. Jeez, bother to crack a history book once in a while.

Old 09-26-2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
But Jesus never had women as apostles or leaders of the Church neither did Jewish leaders. Doesn't mean women are inferior just means women and men are different. Something we see today as having blurred lines to the detriment of society. Men wanting to be women and vice versa.
Actually, there is abundant historical evidence of female clergy in the early church. In fact, in Romans, Paul recommends Phoebe to lead the congregation of Roman based on her past work as a deacon, the same title he used for one of the two different church offices in his letters to Timothy.

Last edited by cpg35223; 09-26-2015 at 10:45 PM..

Old 09-26-2015, 11:02 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
But Jesus never had women as apostles or leaders of the Church neither did Jewish leaders. Doesn't mean women are inferior just means women and men are different. Something we see today as having blurred lines to the detriment of society. Men wanting to be women and vice versa.
You are blameless for being ignorant about these things, janelle. The RCC for centuries forbade anyone from even reading the Bible and even today it is not really encouraged. Jesus had female disciples and apostles before His death and after. It was the misogynist Peter who tried to erase them from the church and further hierarchies maligned them.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:52 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are blameless for being ignorant about these things, janelle. The RCC for centuries forbade anyone from even reading the Bible and even today it is not really encouraged. Jesus had female disciples and apostles before His death and after. It was the misogynist Peter who tried to erase them from the church and further hierarchies maligned them.
Not encouraged to read the Bible? Nothing could be further from the truth. Where do people get such nonsense? Certainly they're not active in Catholic parishes.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:59 AM

1,146 posts, read 648,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I asked a Catholic said they are just Catholic Churches with a lower c that believe in God, but they are not Catholic. So I am confused. I am a baptized Roman Catholic who's been confused a lot lately on direction. Also talked to a Deacon who encouraged me to pray and find the answer of how I want God in my life. He encouraged me to look into Confirmation. However,I pray and become more confused. I want to explore other religion's with in Christianity, but not sure where to look.
The greatest difference between the Roman Catholic church and the Episcopal Church is that gay assaults of Episcopal clerics upon children do not make headline news.

Sexual assault of Episcopal priests upon minors is not prosecuted in the media with the same intensity as that of Catholic priests. Marital infidelity isn't advertised either, but there's always been a lot of adulterous screwing going on in dark places on the part of Episcopal bishops and priests.

I once knew an Episcopal priest whose bishop ran off with his wife. In seminary, I knew of an Episcopal priest that had sexually assaulted mentally challenged teenagers as part of his 'ministry'. No legal charges were ever brought against him. The leadership of the church quietly reassigned him to library duty for a few years and then transferred him to an unsuspecting parish. One of the classes I took in seminary justified masturbation and sexual aberrations as 'normal'. This was done as a preliminary act to 'desensitize' seminary students to sexual wickedness. When something worse came along - such as sexual assault upon a defenseless minor - the action was easily dismissed as inappropriate instead of ILLEGAL.

The wickedness of the Episcopal Church is tolerated because it is supported by rich and influential WASPs. The organization should have been litigated into hell long ago.

and that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

PS
I was forced to leave the Episcopal Church because I acknowledged Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Savior. The chairman of ministries of that diocese told me that the ministry "is just a job." Personal beliefs should not enter into it. Is this hypocrisy or wickedness that is not seen even among sinners?

Old 09-27-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post
The greatest difference between the Roman Catholic church and the Episcopal Church is that gay assaults of Episcopal clerics upon children do not make headline news.

Sexual assault of Episcopal priests upon minors is not prosecuted in the media with the same intensity as that of Catholic priests. Marital infidelity isn't advertised either, but there's always been a lot of adulterous screwing going on in dark places on the part of Episcopal bishops and priests.

I once knew an Episcopal priest whose bishop ran off with his wife. In seminary, I knew of an Episcopal priest that had sexually assaulted mentally challenged teenagers as part of his 'ministry'. No legal charges were ever brought against him. The leadership of the church quietly reassigned him to library duty for a few years and then transferred him to an unsuspecting parish. One of the classes I took in seminary justified masturbation and sexual aberrations as 'normal'. This was done as a preliminary act to 'desensitize' seminary students to sexual wickedness. When something worse came along - such as sexual assault upon a defenseless minor - the action was easily dismissed as inappropriate instead of ILLEGAL.

The wickedness of the Episcopal Church is tolerated because it is supported by rich and influential WASPs. The organization should have been litigated into hell long ago.

PS
I was forced to leave the Episcopal Church because I acknowledged Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Savior. The chairman of ministries of that diocese told me that the ministry "is just a job." Personal beliefs should not enter into it. Is this hypocrisy or wickedness that is not seen even among sinners?
Well this is pretty ridiculous, especially in comparison to the sexual abuse scandals of the Catholics, not to mention the ones that seem to run rampant in the megachurches. In truth, churches of every denomination have to contend with this problem, including whatever Church of What's Happening Now you attend. As for the rest, I'm pretty sure, given the number of Episcopal priests I know and the countless number of conversations I've been privvy to and how our diocese handles sexual misconduct, that your post is largely a fabrication.

Last edited by cpg35223; 09-27-2015 at 08:16 AM..

Old 09-27-2015, 08:33 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post

PS
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well this is pretty ridiculous, especially in comparison to the sexual abuse scandals of the Catholics, not to mention the ones that seem to run rampant in the megachurches. In truth, churches of every denomination have to contend with this problem, including whatever Church of What's Happening Now you attend. As for the rest, I'm pretty sure, given the number of Episcopal priests I know and the countless number of conversations I've been privvy to and how our diocese handles sexual misconduct, that your post is largely a fabrication.
Read this on my phone and signed on to my pc in order to be able to actually type, only to find cpg35223 has beaten me to the punch.

Rarely is it apparent to me that someone is just making stuff up in a post, and I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, as everyone has their own points of view, but my first thought was the same as what cpg says: Choir Loft is fabricating stories.

Oh yes, I believe that sexual assault against a minor happened. It happens, unfortunately, in all churches and in other religions to, and in any institution where a pedophile finds a way to gain access to children along with their trust. It's NOT an "Episcopal" thing, nor would it be found acceptable to sweep such crimes under the rug in the Episcopal church.

But not for one moment would someone be forced to leave the Episcopal Church because they acknowledge Christ as their personal Lord and Savior, although it is true that we don't tend to use phraseology that makes the Christ sound like a disposable razor. That is beyond ridiculous. I suspect there is a lot more to the "PS" story than is being told.

Another clue to the inaccuracy of this story is the claim that the Episcopal Church is supported by rich and influential WASP. Yeah...one hundred years ago. The old "frozen chosen" of high society running the Episcopal churches died out long ago. Many of the magnificent churches they built in our cities were long abandoned and are now in rundown neighborhoods where the parishioners work with feeding, clothing, and housing the homeless who surround them. Rarely do they have lavish budgets to do this work.

Thou shalt not bear false witness, Choir Loft. Let's be frank here. You want to relegate the Episcopal Church into hell because of some personal discord you once experienced along with the fact that the Episcopal church is accepting of people that you decided aren't good enough to share in the kingdom of God. You can stand there in the choir loft hollering your message of hate as much as you want, but we are going to let those people know that God loves them as much as He loves the rest of us, and that message WILL drown you out no matter how loud you holler.

Old 09-27-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Read this on my phone and signed on to my pc in order to be able to actually type, only to find cpg35223 has beaten me to the punch.

Rarely is it apparent to me that someone is just making stuff up in a post, and I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, as everyone has their own points of view, but my first thought was the same as what cpg says: Choir Loft is fabricating stories.

Oh yes, I believe that sexual assault against a minor happened. It happens, unfortunately, in all churches and in other religions to, and in any institution where a pedophile finds a way to gain access to children along with their trust. It's NOT an "Episcopal" thing, nor would it be found acceptable to sweep such crimes under the rug in the Episcopal church.

But not for one moment would someone be forced to leave the Episcopal Church because they acknowledge Christ as their personal Lord and Savior, although it is true that we don't tend to use phraseology that makes the Christ sound like a disposable razor. That is beyond ridiculous. I suspect there is a lot more to the "PS" story than is being told.

Another clue to the inaccuracy of this story is the claim that the Episcopal Church is supported by rich and influential WASP. Yeah...one hundred years ago. The old "frozen chosen" of high society running the Episcopal churches died out long ago. Many of the magnificent churches they built in our cities were long abandoned and are now in rundown neighborhoods where the parishioners work with feeding, clothing, and housing the homeless who surround them. Rarely do they have lavish budgets to do this work.

Thou shalt not bear false witness, Choir Loft. Let's be frank here. You want to relegate the Episcopal Church into hell because of some personal discord you once experienced along with the fact that the Episcopal church is accepting of people that you decided aren't good enough to share in the kingdom of God. You can stand there in the choir loft hollering your message of hate as much as you want, but we are going to let those people know that God loves them as much as He loves the rest of us, and that message WILL drown you out no matter how loud you holler.
Yep.

It really rings false to me. In truth, it reminds me of a former poster who seems to have disappeared from this board. He claimed to visit an Episcopal Church several times and made all kinds of wild claims such as the fact that Episcopalians don't believe in the Trinity, don't read the Bible in church, etc. The poster had obviously never darkened the door of an Episcopal church or he would have known that none of his accusations would have been remotely possible. Likewise, I'm thinking the poster in question washed out of seminary and decided to exaggerate a minor incident or even invent stuff whole cloth in order to make his case. I mean, hey, if you don't like our theology, knock yourself out. That's fair. But let's stick with what's truthful, okay?

His statement about the church tolerating sexual misconduct really smacks of untruth. The one case of sexual misconduct I've heard about in the Episcopal church had to do with a priest having an affair with an adult parishioner. Within two hours of the two being caught by an associate rector, the Bishop was on the grounds firing the priest. So if the church is willing to take such immediate action for an inappropriate relationship between two consenting adults, imagine what it would do in the case of a priest sexually abusing a minor. If I'm not mistaken, the church has the policy of notifying the authorities in such instances immediately. So his claim that a priest was shunted into a harmless slot feels like so much baloney to me.

In fact, as a former vestry member of a rather sizable Episcopal church, I can tell you that priests have to go through a rather rigorous screening process, the psychological equivalent of an obstacle course, before they're allowed to attend seminary, let alone walk into the pulpit. In fact, any number of seminarians are told that perhaps -- based on deeper psychological evaluations -- the priesthood isn't their vocation. Even upon installation, they are required to submit to additional routine testing over the course of their priesthood, attend regular training on what the boundaries are with parishioners, and a host of other measures. So the poster in question to make that claim flies in the face of everything I know about how the Episcopal Church conducts itself.

Last edited by cpg35223; 09-27-2015 at 11:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity