Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 02:14 PM

88,594 posts, read 84,838,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
If I recall, I believe the RCC does not recognize the apostolic authority of the Episcopal church. They believe their Pope is a successor to the first Pope, whom they believe was Peter. They do not recognize the Episcopal church as having that authority. I'm sure there are other differences. I don't believe they pray to Mary, for one.
No, the RCC doesn't recognize the Episcopal church as valid. The Episcopal Church recognizes the Pope as Bishop of Rome, but not above other bishops.

I already noted that we don't pray to saints, and that includes Mary.

ETA: And yes, thanks to those who corrected the information about Catholics not praying TO saints in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 10:54 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,704,457 times
I actually can accept Priest not marrying. I mean probably wrong, but I see it as they devote their love to God. They form a union with the Church and the followers of the Church. Their parishioners are their children who they love and guide to live a life as in God eye's. However, they demonstrate never ending love and do not punish us instead teach us by example...also forgive us and welcome us back as God would.

Anywho can accept Priest not marrying, but if they do it's cool. Can't see why Woman can't be Priest I mean I get the whole thing Jesus was a man part, but I feel Jesus wants us to be more open with our Religion.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:14 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,517,565 times
Many Episcopal priests became Catholics when their Church started accepting gays as ministers and also marrying gays and that is why we now have married priests in the Catholic Church.

It seems like the Episcopal Church is Catholic light. LOL It did start when King Henry wanted to divorce.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:17 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,517,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I actually can accept Priest not marrying. I mean probably wrong, but I see it as they devote their love to God. They form a union with the Church and the followers of the Church. Their parishioners are their children who they love and guide to live a life as in God eye's. However, they demonstrate never ending love and do not punish us instead teach us by example...also forgive us and welcome us back as God would.

Anywho can accept Priest not marrying, but if they do it's cool. Can't see why Woman can't be Priest I mean I get the whole thing Jesus was a man part, but I feel Jesus wants us to be more open with our Religion.
But Jesus never had women as apostles or leaders of the Church neither did Jewish leaders. Doesn't mean women are inferior just means women and men are different. Something we see today as having blurred lines to the detriment of society. Men wanting to be women and vice versa.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:18 PM

I am for homosexual being Catholic and accepting the Unions. I mean God wants us to love one another as God loves us. Shunning someone away from God because of their sexual preference don't believe is a good idea. Need to welcome them into our community and allow them to live in a community of God.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
But Jesus never had women as apostles or leaders of the Church neither did Jewish leaders. Doesn't mean women are inferior just means women and men are different. Something we see today as having blurred lines to the detriment of society. Men wanting to be women and vice versa.
Jesus wasn't around when the Church was created. There have been strong religious woman Mother Mary and Saint Mary Magdalen.

Old 09-26-2015, 05:28 AM

1,382 posts, read 768,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I asked a Catholic said they are just Catholic Churches with a lower c that believe in God, but they are not Catholic. So I am confused. I am a baptized Roman Catholic who's been confused a lot lately on direction. Also talked to a Deacon who encouraged me to pray and find the answer of how I want God in my life. He encouraged me to look into Confirmation. However,I pray and become more confused. I want to explore other religion's with in Christianity, but not sure where to look.
Dear rd,
The Roman Catholic church was first formatted at the Council of Nicaea in the year 325. The Council was convened and chaired by the Roman Emperor Constantine the Great, who was according to Revelation 13, the beast with two horns like a lamb, who was to deceive "those who dwell on the earth". According to the Protestant church founders, the Catholic church was the harlot of Babylon. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/*****_of_Babylon Of course the Protestant churches are the daughters of the RC, and would be considered like mother like daughter.

The Roman emperor Theodosius, in the year 380 AD, formally issued a decree declaring that the Nicene Trinitarian Christianity to be the only legitimate Imperial Religion. That would include the Catholics and the most of the Protestants. They could all be considered harlot daughters of Babylon, and for any who remain in them, the recipients of the plagues of Babylon. (Rev 18:4)

Old 09-26-2015, 06:23 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,346,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Cute story you made up in your head, Julian, but that is not the reason he quit the priesthood. He taught school for a while before he went back and got a business degree/Master's, and he married late in life and had no children.

He is Italian born and wanted to be a missionary. He pictured himself in India or Africa, but he was sent to Milwaukee to teach instead. Eventually, he became disillusioned with the Catholic Church in particular and with Christianity in general. He's now 72, and he says that if you had told him 20 years ago that he'd attend church regularly, let alone be up front administering the Eucharist, he would have called you a liar.
I did not create the story. I just quoted your words.

The story of Catholic priests transferring to the Episcopal Church so they can be married and make money is a reality.

Quote:
(CNN) -- Father Alberto Cutie, an internationally known Catholic priest who admitted having a romantic affair and breaking his vow of celibacy, is joining the Episcopal Church to be with the woman he loves, he said Thursday.

"I will always love the Catholic Church and all its members," he said at a news conference. "But I want to start today by going into a new family.

Quote:
In addition to his television and radio appearances, Cutie has written newspaper advice columns and a self-help book, "Real Life, Real Love."
As an Episcopalian he will make a lot of money.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:02 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,862,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Many Episcopal priests became Catholics when their Church started accepting gays as ministers and also marrying gays and that is why we now have married priests in the Catholic Church.

It seems like the Episcopal Church is Catholic light. LOL It did start when King Henry wanted to divorce.
Yes, our bishop ( married with grandchildren) left the Episc. Church and is now a priest in the RC church. Many clergy did the same.
Episc. churches also vary. Some are Anglo-Catholic ( very smells and bells, organ and chant, and almost RC in worship and liturgy), others are more Low Church evangelical and Charismatic with guitars and praise band. Many others are more into Social justice . Then you have a mix of all of the above. Usually the three legged stool: Scripture, Reason, Tradition.
What is cool is that most if not all churches use the 1979 Book of Common Prayer so there is that common thread. It is great to visit another Episc. Church and be able to "fit right in".

Last edited by Rogarven; 09-26-2015 at 08:22 AM..

Old 09-26-2015, 08:06 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, the RCC doesn't recognize the Episcopal church as valid. The Episcopal Church recognizes the Pope as Bishop of Rome, but not above other bishops.

I already noted that we don't pray to saints, and that includes Mary.

ETA: And yes, thanks to those who corrected the information about Catholics not praying TO saints in the first place.
My intent wasn't to start a flame war regarding prayer to the saints/Mary. My apologies if that upset you.

I have seen priests and apologists on EWTN tv telling people to "pray to the Mary", and "pray to the saints". For whatever reason, THEY used the language and the word "pray". I get it that you view veneration to be different than praying to. I really do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity