Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 02:37 PM

339 posts, read 195,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
"What a crock"? You should talk. Maybe if you read Romans 4:17-25.

Reading is not his problem...comprehension is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Weak.

Typical though, of the average fundie.
You respond just like atheists do....are you?

Old 10-13-2015, 03:10 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
False... ignorant... condescending... typical...
Being a fan of people having library cards is false, ignorant and condescending? Really? Wow. You fundamentalists have some odd ideas about library cards. I'll admit is IS typical for me. I'm a BIG fan of our public library system and encourage people to use it. A library card is a wonderful thing.

Do you have a library card?

Or are they tools of the devil?

Old 10-13-2015, 04:01 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanJP View Post
You respond just like atheists do....are you?
Nope.

But I consider your post a compliment. Many of the finest minds on CD belong to atheists.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:09 PM

63,808 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Ah . . . the infamous magic words point of view again! What a crock. The moment Jesus died and was "born again" as Spirit His Holy Spirit became available to all human consciousness as the Comforter sent in His name. No magic words needed, no abbra-cadabra required.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
"What a crock"? You should talk. Maybe if you read Romans 4:17-25.
Quote:
Reading is not his problem...comprehension is.
Say the men who abandon all reason to believe in magic words, fables and myths as historical fact and an impossible 100% inerrant and infallible Bible in the hands of men!!!

Old 10-13-2015, 04:38 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Can we use that same rule of thumb to adding eternal hell to the being saved scriptures in the New Testament ?.
Uh, a burning eternal hell is an addition as well and not taught in scripture. Which of course has nothing to do with my point that context shows it appliedto the 120 years before the flood and "after the flood" is not there and an addition. Just like eternal punishment in Hell is an addition.

Your sounding like a "fundamentalist" in your argument on this. Add what isn't there.

Old 10-13-2015, 04:48 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Where did you get this piece of information? It certainly is NOT in the Bible. It is a personal interpretation grabbing onto the closest period of time in the vicinity which just happenstance is 120 years.

The way the passage read is: There were Nephilim in the earth in "those days". "Those days" can only mean BEFORE the flood. Nobody would argue this. "And also AFTER THAT" is clearly unequivocally "after the flood". Again, nobody would dispute this. I asked my wife who knows nothing about the Bible story of the flood. I asked to read the passage. She said without hesitation, "After that" is "after those days".

Poll 10 strangers and ask them what "and also after that" refers to and they will say exactly what my wife said.

You cannot escape this fact, expatCA, no matter how hard you try or how many smokescreens you throw up.

https://www.learnthebible.org/the-so...n-genesis.html
It is easy to "escape" as the context is plain.

Genesis 6:1-5 KJV Genesis 6:1 And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them, 2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose. 3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

This speaks of the time when men began to breed and multiply, which was long before the flood.

4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

"After that" applies to after men began to multiply and the "Sons of God" started to get involved. That period "after that" start lasted 120 years. as we see in the next verses.

5 And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. 6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart. 7 And the LORD said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them. {both...: Heb. from man unto beast}

The flood ended that time period, thus the "after that" was up till the flood.

Simple context. None of it can apply to after the flood as the flood comes after the account spoken of in the preceding verses. Many want to find fault, but have to ignore context and the very simple to see historical progression of events in time.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:04 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Uh, a burning eternal hell is an addition as well and not taught in scripture. Which of course has nothing to do with my point that context shows it appliedto the 120 years before the flood and "after the flood" is not there and an addition. Just like eternal punishment in Hell is an addition.

Your sounding like a "fundamentalist" in your argument on this. Add what isn't there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
In plain English it does not say after the flood, that is your addition.

Well ok, saved from annihilation, i forgot you believed that is what we are saved from. My point being adding to the scripture when it's convenient.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Nope.
But I consider your post a compliment. Many of the finest minds on CD belong to atheists.
Of course that would be based on your own level of comprehension, which seems a tad underwhelming.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:24 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
Nope.

Quote:
Of course that would be based on your own level of comprehension, which seems a tad underwhelming.
News Flash: TroutDude makes the list. LMAO

(Stan needs a library card or dictionary, maybe then - he will comprehend what condescending means.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity