Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 12:51 PM

18,253 posts, read 16,958,838 times

Advertisements

Most of us know that Genesis is filled with inane allegory--wild stories so outlandish they defy logic. But none it seems, is as totally out in left field as the bizarre consequences of what happened AFTER the Great Flood of Noah and why. Let's look at the verses in contention:

Quote:
There were Nephilim on the earth in those days and also afterward when the sons of God went to the daughters of humans and had children by them. The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, So the Lord said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them.”

So let's picture this scenario EXACTLY as the Bible paints it: "There were Nephilim BEFORE the flood and AFTER the flood [as it is worded above]. More exactly, "There were Nephilim in those days [before the flood] AND AFTER [the flood] when the Sons of God went in unto the daughters of humans and had children by them"

The Bible clearly states that the wicked angels had sexual intercourse with human women AFTER the flood and produced more Nephilim. Famous examples of post-flood Nephilim are Og:

Quote:
Deuteronomy 3:11King James Version (KJV) For only Og king of Bashan remained of the remnant of giants; behold his bedstead was a bedstead of iron; is it not in Rabbath of the children of Ammon? nine cubits was the length thereof, and four cubits the breadth of it, [13 feet six inches long and six feet wide by a standard measure] after the cubit of a man.

Now picture this even further: The people on earth pre-flood are wicked. Nephilim are polluting the gene pool with the seed of satan out of which Jesus has to come pure as an unblemished lamb in order to save mankind from their sins. Only Noah and his children are left unpolluted out of the millions of people inhabiting the earth. God says, "I will destroy ALL life..." and makes the decision to wipe out the totality of all life on earth including the innocent animals (but he inconveniently forgets about the fish).

So he does. The rains come, a great flood ensues and everyone is killed. Presumably, God would then lock up the evil angels who started the trouble in the first place impregnating human women and creating these giant Nephilim, right?? I mean this begs the question:

Why would God wipe out the whole human race to get rid of the Nephilim and then not lock up the evil Sons of God afterwards so he doesn't have to create another flood all over again?

You'd think God would be clever enough to do that, right?

You'd be wrong. Totally 100% wrong.

Not only does God NOT lock up the Sons of God [evil angels---the "Watchers", as they were called] but he actually permits them to resume their nefarious activities of impregnating women with their polluted seed after the flood according to scripture. WHY??????

I have asked this question of Bible literalists a dozen times and to date no one has been able to answer it, presumably because even to the most hardcore fundamentalist the lack of action on God's part makes absolutely no sense on its face.

I invite Bible inerrantists/literalists to try to answer the question without resorting to equally outlandish excuses and explanations, but I sincerely believe that, as always, nobody will touch this question with a....um...13-foot pole (wink).

Last edited by thrillobyte; 10-11-2015 at 01:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2015, 03:58 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,215,760 times
They were so tall that they kept their heads above water.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:57 PM

9,695 posts, read 10,041,835 times
The sons of God were the blessed of God from Genesis 5 were the sons of God who married women who were sinners and God could not keep these blessed sons of God living for hundreds of years as Gods spirit had irreverence with this sons of God from Genesis 5 Adam through Noah and later blessed sons of God after the flood were only living less then 120 years .........................See there was No angels having babies with humans as the angels can not propagate , it was the blessed sons of God who were humans having babies with wives who were sinners ................................ Then there could have been giant humans in the earth where the flood took care of all of these ....................., then the flood waters came from a spiritual realm of heaven and the waters went back to heaven after the flood , then the flood could have been in the Black sea area and the Caspian sea area ,and the Mediterranean sea and Not through out the earth

Old 10-11-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
They were so tall that they kept their heads above water.
This is the most sensible answer anybody has given me thus far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
The sons of God were the blessed of God from Genesis 5 were the sons of God who married women who were sinners and God could not keep these blessed sons of God living for hundreds of years as Gods spirit had irreverence with this sons of God from Genesis 5 Adam through Noah and later blessed sons of God after the flood were only living less then 120 years .........................See there was No angels having babies with humans as the angels can not propagate , it was the blessed sons of God who were humans having babies with wives who were sinners ................................ Then there could have been giant humans in the earth where the flood took care of all of these ....................., then the flood waters came from a spiritual realm of heaven and the waters went back to heaven after the flood , then the flood could have been in the Black sea area and the Caspian sea area ,and the Mediterranean sea and Not through out the earth
So this would assume the Sons of God were not angels, but the literal Sons of Seth, I believe the legend goes. But still, where did the giants come from? Og, according to the Bible was nearly 14 feet tall. That is impossible by any human standard. The tallest any human has ever been able to get was about 8.5 feet tall when they had giantism, a rare endocrine gland disorder.

And we can't say the flood was local. According to the Bible it covered the entire earth. A local flood wouldn't wipe out all life forms.

Quote:
Genesis 7:19

They rose greatly on the earth, and all the high mountains under the entire heavens were covered

Old 10-11-2015, 07:03 PM

335 posts, read 220,431 times
Because it served God's purposes. The same could be said for "Why did He create the Lucifer?", "Why did He put the tree in the garden?", "Why did He tell the Israelites to obey Him when He knew they wouldn't much of the time?" and a million other questions.

He knew everything that would happen before He began creation and knew the ultimate outcome of every decision and action He would take. So to say, "Why would He do this or that?" is almost like trying to grasp the wind. We can learn His plan for humanity and speculate as to why He chose to do certain things but we have no way of knowing for sure every single reason for every single thing He has done.

We just know that He is good and that He is in control and that He considered everything worth it in order to produce His desired outcome.

Old 10-11-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john233 View Post
Because it served God's purposes.
The next step may be how did giants serve God's purposes? For that, I have no answer.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
The next step may be how did giants serve God's purposes? For that, I have no answer.
Exactly. As I have said on other occasions when Christians are cornered with a logical question they cannot reply to, their last refuge is "God's ways are mysterious", "We cannot know God's ways" "We must trust on the Lord even though none of his ways makes the slightest bit of sense." ad nauseam.

Well, good news, folks: that may have worked in the past when most people were dumb yokels but in today's university-educated world those kinds of vague useless excuses just don't cut it anymore. People ask intelligent questions and they expect more than just "God's ways are not our ways".

Now, for an educated mind--a mind, may I remind John, that God gave to us to use to think up such questions--killing off the human race in a mass genocide of every conceivable form over a condition God allowed to happen and then allowed to happen all over again just doesn't make any logical sense no matter how much higher God's ways are than ours---which has always been just a BS apology to throw out to ignorant Christians anyway.

The truth is no amount of rationalization can adequately do justice to such a ridiculous setup. God allows the evil angels to create Nephilim; he wipes everyone out because of the Nephilim he allowed to come into existence in the first place; and then he allows it to happen all over again. Dumbest thing I've ever heard, and I've heard them all. The only good reason left is that the whole thing was a fabrication written by bronze-age scribes who had overactive imaginations, read too much of earlier pagan religions' myths and legends, and allowed those myths to creep into their own scriptures.

But if anyone can find a way around this silly setup I'm more than willing to listen. I'd love to hear a logical explanation, not vague, "We can't know the mind of God" nonsense.

Old 10-11-2015, 09:53 PM

19,097 posts, read 27,685,875 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...lood-noah.html

Old 10-11-2015, 10:21 PM

339 posts, read 195,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Most of us know that Genesis is filled with inane allegory--wild stories so outlandish they defy logic. But none it seems, is as totally out in left field as the bizarre consequences of what happened AFTER the Great Flood of Noah and why. Let's look at the verses in contention:
Who is US?

IMO, Genesis is an accurate and historical account of creation up until Moses leads his people out of Egypt. We are always better served by accepting that God's word IS inspired by Him, as Paul writes in 2 Tim 3:16, and go from there.

Old 10-11-2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Exactly. As I have said on other occasions when Christians are cornered with a logical question they cannot reply to, their last refuge is "God's ways are mysterious", "We cannot know God's ways" "We must trust on the Lord even though none of his ways makes the slightest bit of sense." ad nauseam.

Well, good news, folks: that may have worked in the past when most people were dumb yokels but in today's university-educated world those kinds of vague useless excuses just don't cut it anymore. People ask intelligent questions and they expect more than just "God's ways are not our ways".

Now, for an educated mind--a mind, may I remind John, that God gave to us to use to think up such questions--killing off the human race in a mass genocide of every conceivable form over a condition God allowed to happen and then allowed to happen all over again just doesn't make any logical sense no matter how much higher God's ways are than ours---which has always been just a BS apology to throw out to ignorant Christians anyway.

The truth is no amount of rationalization can adequately do justice to such a ridiculous setup. God allows the evil angels to create Nephilim; he wipes everyone out because of the Nephilim he allowed to come into existence in the first place; and then he allows it to happen all over again. Dumbest thing I've ever heard, and I've heard them all. The only good reason left is that the whole thing was a fabrication written by bronze-age scribes who had overactive imaginations, read too much of earlier pagan religions' myths and legends, and allowed those myths to creep into their own scriptures.

But if anyone can find a way around this silly setup I'm more than willing to listen. I'd love to hear a logical explanation, not vague, "We can't know the mind of God" nonsense.
I believe the bible can contain errors, so I'm not really cornered. The Nephilim may have not existed. If I believed the bible was inerrant, then I may have to start figuring things out or calculating a solution.

But I know what you're getting at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity