Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 08:59 AM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times

Advertisements

I have always been an old Earth creationist. My first pastor/teacher, Col. Robert B. Thieme Jr. who is now with the Lord, was pastor of Berachah Church in Houston TX. He taught the ruin/restoration view in which while Genesis 1:1 refers to original creation, there is an undefined gap of time, even billions of years, between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2. Genesis 1:2 and following then refers to a restoration rather than to original creation.

Without getting into a debate on the merits of the ruin/restoration view of creation, I think geology pretty much demonstrates that the Earth is indeed very old. Just as an example, consider the formation of the Hawaiian Island chain. All of these islands, including the atolls to the Northwest of the main islands were formed in conveyor belt fashion as the tectonic plate on which they rest moved, and continues to move, over a stationary hot spot in the Earths' mantle. While over the hot spot from which comes the magma which formed, and continues to form each island, there was a building process which ceased as the island moved away from the hotspot, and the erosion process, no longer countered by the building process resulted in the islands being worn down so that the islands to the northwest of the present main islands became mere atolls. There is now a new island being formed which is still under the surface of the ocean. This is a process which has been going on for millions of years.

Here is a brief, and fun video of how the Hawaiian Islands formed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1eibbfAEVk

And consider the super volcano underneath Yellowstone National Park. Geologists have detected at least three different eruptions at approximately one hundred thousand year intervals. They have recognized the fallout patterns which resulted from each eruption. There is no way that this super volcano has erupted three times in a mere six or ten thousand year period.

And yes, I believe that the Dinosaurs died out some sixty five million years ago which is perhaps unfortunate, because this would have been nice. Then again, Raquel Welch is nice with or without Dinosaurs. And then there's that Jurassic Park thing which didn't work out too well.

Bing Images
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 09:03 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bo Pepys View Post
His one yesterday assured us there were 50 species of dinosaurs on Noah's Ark.
Sounds like Story Hour for five-year-old's.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:23 AM

339 posts, read 194,888 times
Either one believes unproven scientific theory, which in itself requires faith, or one who believes the literal creation story in Gen 1. I accept the latter based on my faith in God's word being true and inerrant.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:28 AM

122 posts, read 112,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
In the whole scheme of things - it's really not that big of a deal.

A follower of Christ can hold either view of a young or old earth.
It may not be a big deal in the context of an individual believer's relationship with Christ, but it is a big deal when any segment of the faith holds nonsensical positions that provide fodder for those who are opposed to the faith. It is not merely the absurdity of the YECs' position that embarrasses Christianity, but the silliness of their efforts to make their position appear "scientific." There are some areas of science as to which there is still at least room for legitimate debate - macroevolution being one, IMHO - but the YEC position is simply nonsense. I doubt very seriously if anyone with an IQ above 75 actually believes in YEC; I think most YECs simply enjoy being part of this goofy community with its in-your-face position that invites ridicule. It makes them feel special and persecuted. I really see YEC as more of a "psychological phenomenon" than an intellectual position.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanJP View Post
Either one believes unproven scientific theory, which in itself requires faith, or one who believes the literal creation story in Gen 1. I accept the latter based on my faith in God's word being true and inerrant.
You description of the alternatives is not correct. I accept, at least to a very large degree, the literal creation story in Genesis 1. You, like all YECs, insist on a particular interpretation of the literal creation story in Genesis 1, an interpretation that is not mandated by the text and is utterly at odds with everything God's creation tells us. The phrase "unproven scientific theory" might describe multiverses or even macroevolution, but it certainly does not describe the ages of the universe and the earth. The latter is no more an unproven scientific theory than my "theory" that my Ford is sitting in my garage. Literally every form of inquiry known to man indicates that the universe and the earth are billions of years old; there may be some margin for error, but 6,000 or 10,000 or even 1,000,000,000 years is not within that margin of error. Far from honoring God, the YEC position mocks Him.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Sounds like Story Hour for five-year-old's.
I have quite a job staying on top of the litter boxes for three cats. Noah, his sons and their wives must have been seriously busy pooper-scoopers. Moreover, under Ham's theory, the Flood would have been perhaps 5,000 years ago. So those 50 species of dinosaurs would have become extinct since the Pyramids were built. I wouldn't ridicule any sincerely held position of a fellow Christian, but I truly don't believe any YEC, including Ham, actually believes in his heart of hearts the nonsense he spouts.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:46 AM

689 posts, read 494,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I don't believe the earth is more than 10,000 years old.
Why, when all the scientific evidence is to the contrary?

Old 10-28-2015, 10:12 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bo Pepys View Post
I have quite a job staying on top of the litter boxes for three cats. Noah, his sons and their wives must have been seriously busy pooper-scoopers. Moreover, under Ham's theory, the Flood would have been perhaps 5,000 years ago. So those 50 species of dinosaurs would have become extinct since the Pyramids were built. I wouldn't ridicule any sincerely held position of a fellow Christian, but I truly don't believe any YEC, including Ham, actually believes in his heart of hearts the nonsense he spouts.
Buckle up. There are several posters on this forum who are steadfast believers. Including one who thinks Noah invented freeze dried food so he could feed the animals. I'm not sure where he stands on the dinosaurs.

Maybe Noah invented Dinosaur Chow.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:14 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
YECs are the pre-schoolers of all things theological.

They swallow whatever they're spoon-fed.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:17 AM

45,541 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
Why, when all the scientific evidence is to the contrary?
When I get to heaven, and if it is revealed that the earth is old - I will be OK. It's really not a big deal for me. I take my views based on faith on what I believe the Bible to say. It's not something that's non-negotiable for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity