Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 11:24 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
So your boasting about all the "good" you have done is not the same as the Pharisees praying in public so they are seen by all and boasting about how "good" they are?
Alrighty then.
There is a difference between bragging and sharing to make a point.

p.s. She has done a LOT of good. Providing foster care, especially for special needs and older kids, is quite admirable. And greatly needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 12:06 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,618,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You don't think poor people need to have their sins forgiven?

I'm not suggesting we just preach to the poor -- we should do our best to help meet their needs. But we should not stop at just their physical needs.
I think a well fed person has the ability to nurture their own souls. They do not need your intervention. You have no cause to judge their sin. Their sin is in your imaginings.

Your best? My best? We are failing miserably. There are children going to bed hungry in this world. There are children without access to clean water, and light.

You have nothing to offer if the best you can do is tell people they are going to hell.

Old 11-28-2015, 12:54 PM

8,178 posts, read 6,929,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
IAs far as I am concerned deeds are much more important than words, faith or no faith.
Words ARE deeds.

Old 11-28-2015, 01:02 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,717,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Words ARE deeds.
Too often from the mouths of "bible-believers" words are weapons.

Old 11-28-2015, 01:05 PM

8,178 posts, read 6,929,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post

And..?

Very often, from the mouths of many people, "bible-believers" and "non bible-believers", words are a soothing balm to a tortured soul.

Be mindful of what you shine the light on.

Old 11-28-2015, 01:11 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I think a well fed person has the ability to nurture their own souls. They do not need your intervention. You have no cause to judge their sin. Their sin is in your imaginings.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion. I would not argue otherwise. But Christianity does not teach that. Seeing as how this is the "Christianity" board, I'm saying what Christianity teaches.
Quote:
Your best? My best? We are failing miserably. There are children going to bed hungry in this world. There are children without access to clean water, and light.

You have nothing to offer if the best you can do is tell people they are going to hell.
Where do you get the idea that "all I do" is tell people they go to hell?

Old 11-28-2015, 01:54 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,618,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You're certainly entitled to your opinion. I would not argue otherwise. But Christianity does not teach that. Seeing as how this is the "Christianity" board, I'm saying what Christianity teaches.

Where do you get the idea that "all I do" is tell people they go to hell?
Because the first thing you mentioned was their sin in response to my post about a bankrupt soul.

You speak for your own version of Christianity. And, a place named CARM.

You do not speak for Christianity, or Christians.

And this was awesomely pretentious. ahahahahahha with a little modwannabe thrown in for good measure.

"Seeing as how this is the "Christianity" board, I'm saying what Christianity teaches."---- Vizio

Old 11-28-2015, 02:07 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,970,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Words ARE deeds.
Yes, according to the commission that Jesus gave his followers at Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8 words ARE deeds.

Jesus did Not cure everyone while on earth, but gave priority to the preaching about God's kingdom - Luke 4:43 ( words )
His followers were to do the same ' spiritual work ' Jesus did - Matthew 10:7 ( words )
Jesus warned his followers that many would oppose them, not for healing, but oppose their kingdom-preaching work.
- Matthew 10:34-39
The healing work the apostles did would cease with their deaths, but the international proclaiming about God's kingdom would continue - Matthew 24:14

Old 11-28-2015, 02:17 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,970,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Interesting that you use the word ' weapon '. see Ephesians 6:11-17 because the ' sword of the spirit ' is the Bible.
Not to use the Bible to beat someone over the head with it, but that the words from Scripture would be like a sword - Hebrew 4:12 - because the Word of God ( Bible ) is alive and exerts power and is sharper than any two-edged sword and pierces even to the dividing of soul and spirit, and of joints from the marrow, and is able to discern thoughts and intentions of the heart.

Remember too that Jesus forewarned us at Matthew chapter 7 that MANY would come ' in his name ' but prove false.
The words from Jesus' mouth will rid the earth of those playing false to God and His Word.
- Isaiah 11:3-4; Revelation 19:11,14-15; Jeremiah 25:31-33

Old 11-28-2015, 02:31 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,603 times
As Vizio said, we are to show God's love by loving others. However, as Jesus taught us, physical, earthly needs are not as important as spiritual needs. (Mark 8:36)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity