Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2015, 12:08 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,717,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Yes, according to the commission that Jesus gave his followers at Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8 words ARE deeds.

Jesus did Not cure everyone while on earth, but gave priority to the preaching about God's kingdom - Luke 4:43 ( words )
His followers were to do the same ' spiritual work ' Jesus did - Matthew 10:7 ( words )
Jesus warned his followers that many would oppose them, not for healing, but oppose their kingdom-preaching work.
- Matthew 10:34-39
The healing work the apostles did would cease with their deaths, but the international proclaiming about God's kingdom would continue - Matthew 24:14
In providing a "biblical" view of the difference between words and DEEDS, here is what the brother of Jesus says---apparently words without deeds is dead.
Quote:
If a brother or sister is without clothing and in need of daily food, and one of you says to them, "Go in peace, be warmed and be filled," and yet you do not give them what is necessary for their body, what use is that? Even so faith, if it has no works, is dead, being by itself.…
James 2:15-17
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2015, 03:21 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,167,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You don't think poor people need to have their sins forgiven?

I'm not suggesting we just preach to the poor -- we should do our best to help meet their needs. But we should not stop at just their physical needs.
Saving people from imaginary dangers (hell) is clearly more important than saving people from real dangers (hunger and exposure).

Old 11-29-2015, 03:24 PM

8,178 posts, read 6,929,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
You are confusing what is done and what ought to be done. Christ taught us to help the poor, the sick and the needy, both physically, emotionally and spiritually. That is what I do and is also what I believe everyone ought to do. I'm not sure where the disagreement lies.

What are people disagreeing with on what this poster just said above?
I'm a little confused.

Old 11-29-2015, 03:54 PM

14,885 posts, read 17,167,331 times
I belong to a group of people that consists of people who have different beliefs, religions and so on, and we try to help children and widows in this country and other countries who are suffering from poverty, disease, and other things. We sponsor them and help to provide them with food, clothing, medicine, an education and other things. Some of the programs that we work in, do teach these individuals about Jesus and some do not have this as a part of their program. As a believer who does not believe in eternal hell, that is not what is on my mind when I reach out them. My goal is to try help meet their needs and build relationships so that they will know that someone cares and is trying to help. I want them to see the love of God in action. I do speak about my faith sometimes and pray for them. Many of them also pray for me and I appreciate their prayers. I need them! Sometimes I share scriptures or words to encourage and they do too. So to me, it's all about love, which means that we will be concerned and help as we can and sometimes this may involve words, prayers, meeting physical needs, emotional support or whatever we are able to give.

Old 11-29-2015, 04:06 PM

8,178 posts, read 6,929,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaBrown View Post
I belong to a group of people that consists of people who have different beliefs, religions and so on, and we try to help children and widows in this country and other countries who are suffering from poverty, disease, and other things. We sponsor them and help to provide them with food, clothing, medicine, an education and other things. Some of the programs that we work in, do teach these individuals about Jesus and some do not have this as a part of their program. As a believer who does not believe in eternal hell, that is not what is on my mind when I reach out them. My goal is to try help meet their needs and build relationships so that they will know that someone cares and is trying to help. I want them to see the love of God in action. I do speak about my faith sometimes and pray for them. Many of them also pray for me and I appreciate their prayers. I need them! Sometimes I share scriptures or words to encourage and they do too. So to me, it's all about love, which means that we will be concerned and help as we can and sometimes this may involve words, prayers, meeting physical needs, emotional support or whatever we are able to give.
That's beautiful, Shana.

Old 11-29-2015, 04:34 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,970,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
In providing a "biblical" view of the difference between words and DEEDS, here is what the brother of Jesus says---apparently words without deeds is dead.
James 2:15-17
And the fine deed the neighborly good Samaritan did was on a one-on-one basis in a person's genuine time of need.
Jesus was teaching that we should all broaden out, or widen out, in showing love even to strangers in need.
First, however, we do good to our spiritual brother and spiritual sisters - James 2:15; Galatians 6:10,2
The fine deed Paul put first in his life was preaching to others even under trying conditions - Galatians 4:13

Jesus did Not feed or cure everyone, but his main focus was preaching about God's kingdom - Luke 4:43
Jesus' feeding some and curing some was giving us a small preview, or coming attraction, of what Jesus will be doing on a grand global scale during his 1,000 year governmental rulership over earth.

What is the commission for Christians according to Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8 but to also have the ' spiritual work ' of proclaiming the good news of God's kingdom government on a global or international scale as is being done today before the end comes of all badness on earth before Jesus ushers in global Peace on Earth among men of goodwill.
- Romans 10:10-15

Old 11-29-2015, 04:34 PM

14,885 posts, read 17,167,331 times
Hi .sparrow, thank you. Hope you are doing well God bless.

Old 11-29-2015, 05:52 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,717,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
And the fine deed the neighborly good Samaritan did was on a one-on-one basis in a person's genuine time of need.
Jesus was teaching that we should all broaden out, or widen out, in showing love even to strangers in need.
First, however, we do good to our spiritual brother and spiritual sisters - James 2:15; Galatians 6:10,2
The fine deed Paul put first in his life was preaching to others even under trying conditions - Galatians 4:13

Jesus did Not feed or cure everyone, but his main focus was preaching about God's kingdom - Luke 4:43
Jesus' feeding some and curing some was giving us a small preview, or coming attraction, of what Jesus will be doing on a grand global scale during his 1,000 year governmental rulership over earth.

What is the commission for Christians according to Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8 but to also have the ' spiritual work ' of proclaiming the good news of God's kingdom government on a global or international scale as is being done today before the end comes of all badness on earth before Jesus ushers in global Peace on Earth among men of goodwill.
- Romans 10:10-15
And here I always thought Jesus was planning on US doing that work of feeding and curing people.

Thanks for clearing it up that I can sit around as so many fundamentalists do, thinking that an occasional "good work" is all that is needed in terms of serving others. And I'm sure I should be supporting a certain political party that is more concerned with the fiscal debt of the nation rather than physical needs of the so many of the people. After all, it's supposed to be one-on-one as Jesus was insisting was the way to help.

And I'm sure you have solid biblical evidence that Jesus left masses of people that He met uncured or hungry. These words were just platitudes:

Quote:
Come unto me, all [ye] that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Matt. 11:26

Old 11-29-2015, 06:08 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,929,454 times
Jesus said do your giving anonymously .
That's the best way.
Primarily what I have belongs to God , so as He directs, I do.
That way God can answer a prayer for some one I don't necessarily know, dealing with their need, which usually greater than the want.
Jesus lordship is realized, when He is calling the shots.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:48 PM

10,043 posts, read 4,970,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
And here I always thought Jesus was planning on US doing that work of feeding and curing people.
Thanks for clearing it up that I can sit around as so many fundamentalists do, thinking that an occasional "good work" is all that is needed in terms of serving others. And I'm sure I should be supporting a certain political party that is more concerned with the fiscal debt of the nation rather than physical needs of the so many of the people. After all, it's supposed to be one-on-one as Jesus was insisting was the way to help.
And I'm sure you have solid biblical evidence that Jesus left masses of people that He met uncured or hungry. These words were just platitudes:
Matt. 11:26
How can the genuine ' wheat ' Christians feed and cure this world under Satan - 2nd Corinthians 4:4; Rev. 12:9,12 ?
Did Jesus and the apostles sit around - Luke 4:43; Acts 16:11-1; Galatians 4:13 - the answer is No.
But how would anyone conclude feeding and curing the world was the job for Christians?
What job did Jesus give Christians at Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8 besides what is recorded at Romans 10:10-15
Didn't Jesus only go to the Jews? _____So, where is it written Jesus cured and fed people all over the earth ?
Jesus' physical and spiritual works did Not cover the whole earth just the Jewish people, just Israel at that time frame.

By doing the spiritual work of bringing people to Christ the result would be that which David said at Psalm 37:25 B

Since the political have Not been feeding the world up to now, how do you figure that a governmental leader ( who are college or university educated with degrees to their names ) make a difference. Look around and see what their higher secular education has done for the past and today's world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity