Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2016, 10:29 AM

150 posts, read 97,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
The one the scriptures admonishes to come out of....... The beast church of bible fundamentalism. It quotes the bible like it is speaking with the authority of God, nothing could be further from the truth. They recognized Jesus spoke with authority but he was no bible quoting fundy.

When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed at his teaching, because he taught as one who had authority, and not as their teachers of the law
There are many who may fit in your concept. I would still need to know which church the OP was asking about.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:35 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,970,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamFan View Post
There are many who may fit in your concept. I would still need to know which church the OP was asking about.
I would have to say that the OP is talking about the (very) loose body of religions that claim the name of "Christianity" rather than any particular denomination.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:38 AM

16,001 posts, read 6,400,686 times
Quote:
I know one church that for 150 years or so claimed that black people had a curse on them and could not attain the same position before God as white people. I think that is a hateful belief. In 1978 rather than admit they were wrong all those years they decided to claim God lifted the curse so they would look better to the world.
God lifted the curse on dark skinned people in 1978? I wonder if God's revelation had anything to do with tax exempt status? Can you show me the scripture where it says dark skin is a curse?

Old 02-01-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I would have to say that the OP is talking about the (very) loose body of religions that claim the name of "Christianity" rather than any particular denomination.
That's a very broad brush. Kind of like saying all humans are the same.

Old 02-01-2016, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
God lifted the curse on dark skinned people in 1978? I wonder if God's revelation had anything to do with tax exempt status? Can you show me the scripture where it says dark skin is a curse?
It is in a book that this and a few other churches call scripture. It is not in real scripture.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:05 AM

64,036 posts, read 40,340,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Exposing what is "hateful" about the way Christians treat those they think are sinful in God's eyes is NOT condemning anyone. It is enlightening them and exposing the error in their understanding of Christ and His Gospel of agape love. God is concerned with our state of mind (spirit) toward each other. I have been forced of late to consider my own actions in this regard by a dear friend and I was not pleased with what I saw. It prompts me to speak up here.

What i see here is people talking at cross purposes with each of them sincerely convinced they are on the side of God. But there is too much accusing of one another. Let;s face it, no accusing of each other could EVER be on the side of God. Once the focus of the discussion changes from the beliefs and their "hateful" effects on others to the character and motives of the people expressing their views about it . . God can NOT be pleased. Berating the motives and character of others . . . THAT IS judging.

We should accept the sincerity of others here and NOT disparage their motives or character. We definitely do not know that anyone is trying to justify any sins. If we wish to follow Christ we should make no comments about the motives or character of the people expressing their views. We certainly have no right to call them hypocrites or children of Satan. We should just focus only on the views themselves which are often inconsistent and incompatible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Exactly, and the same gang is working overtime on another thread trying to paint Christians as people who torture gays and burn down abortion clinics.
It never ends at the "christianity" forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Munchkin View Post
Amen !
Yeah, the Christian has been warned about such individuals in the last days and their game plan of lying and bullying, intimidating the Christian in trying to make those who walk according to the will of God look like whatever by thinking they have exposed hypocrisy and a multitude of accusations are only revealing who they really are . As any reader can see who comes into these threads creating strife, division, and confusion. So they only expose themselves !!
One day it will all come to an end and those who have chosen to walk according to their sin and the ruler of darkness in this world, well, !!!
Read the scriptures and see what is written about such and the end of those who place themselves on/above God's Throne !! It is a really sad ending ! But you can only do and say so much to bring God's truth to an obstinate people and God says enough is enough, no more, stop casting your pearls before the swine, turn away and shake the dust off you feet .
Blessing's to you, Finn !
::Sigh::

Old 02-01-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
That's a very broad brush. Kind of like saying all humans are the same.
No, it is saying that there are differences within "Christianity" and some of the things promulgated by some of the "Christians" are dark.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
No, it is saying that there are differences within "Christianity" and some of the things promulgated by some of the "Christians" are dark.
That was my point but they when I asked "which" church I was given this broad all inclusive answer.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
That was my point but they when I asked "which" church I was given this broad all inclusive answer.
I don't think you understand my point, because your reply indicates the opposite. There is a term that is used for those who profess to follow Christ, and that is "Christian." Within that definition there are many perceptions of what it means and many of them are contradictions of others. Within that loose body of perceptions there are some that are what we would consider "dark" or counter to the best interests of humanity. One might name a specific church or denomination, but that could only be an example, not a definition. ALL of those that hold perceptions that are harmful to the spiritual well-being of humans would be considered "the Dark side of Christianity." I hope that helps.

Old 02-01-2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
I don't think you understand my point, because your reply indicates the opposite. There is a term that is used for those who profess to follow Christ, and that is "Christian." Within that definition there are many perceptions of what it means and many of them are contradictions of others. Within that loose body of perceptions there are some that are what we would consider "dark" or counter to the best interests of humanity. One might name a specific church or denomination, but that could only be an example, not a definition. ALL of those that hold perceptions that are harmful to the spiritual well-being of humans would be considered "the Dark side of Christianity." I hope that helps.
The OP said "church" which could be one of many based on the popular use of the word. So I would still have to know which one in order to answer the question. To imply the sin of one is upon all is just foolish and kind of like saying all people of one color are lazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity