Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2016, 06:27 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,741,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Explain something to us.

How can one hate something one does not believe in?

Do you hate Zeus? No? Why not?

Do you hate Thor? No? Why not?

etc.

Get the point?
I have often wondered why some (not all) unbelievers spend so much time and energy talking about something they claim does not even exist.

Jesus touched the topic by saying the following:

And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil. For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed

Old 02-01-2016, 06:37 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,358,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I have often wondered why atheists spend so much time and energy talking about something they do not believe even exists.

And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil. For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed
I have corrected you on this verse of scripture so many times it's getting old. The darkness is the false beliefs you are not willing to let go of about God, this is a must if you want to follow the love, peace and goodwill message of Jesus Christ, but you will not let go will you, you want to hold on to your beliefs that God is holding folk guilty of sin, that he's against unbelievers, and they will be cast into eternal torment.

How can you hate something you do not believe in? Do you hate Zeus ?, No, Why not ?.

Old 02-01-2016, 06:51 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,944,335 times
Quote:
I have often wondered why some (not all) unbelievers spend so much time and energy talking about something they claim does not even exist.

Do you hate Thor?

I have no feelings one way or another on any god or whatever other imaginary being, no matter how strong others believe those imaginary entities exist.

No love, no hate, no feeling one way or another.

However, let's face it, there are believers who are just strange, who attempt to foist their beliefs onto the general population AND governments, and some who are just dangerous. It is those that people like me rail against. Keep whatever myths you have in the home or the church, synagogue, mosque or temple.

Don't try to push it on others.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:12 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,741,762 times
Quote:
Keep whatever myths you have in the home or the church, synagogue, mosque or temple.

Don't try to push it on others.
I am sorry my beliefs offend you, but no, I won't be quiet about it. If you don't want to hear about it, then I' just have to wonder why you keep coming to a Christian discussion board to discuss something you do not believe in.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 02-01-2016 at 07:22 PM..

Old 02-01-2016, 07:46 PM

Quote:
I am sorry my beliefs offend you, but no, I won't be quiet about it. If you don't want to hear about it, then I' just have to wonder why you keep coming to a Christian discussion board to discuss something you do not believe in.
You are welcome to any beliefs you want, but, do not attempt to take those beliefs and impose them on the greater society.

That is the kind of stuff that Riyadh and Tehran do.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:34 PM

150 posts, read 97,316 times
Quote:
Explain something to us.

How can one hate something one does not believe in?

Do you hate Zeus? No? Why not?

Do you hate Thor? No? Why not?

etc.

Get the point?
The hate is shown by your actions and time spent attacking and trying to degrade the faith of those who believe. I have no feelings about what you listed and spend 0 time dealing with it.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamFan View Post
The hate is shown by your actions and time spent attacking and trying to degrade the faith of those who believe. I have no feelings about what you listed and spend 0 time dealing with it.
Then you see how I could not have a hate for your god, as that god means nothing to me. It is the proponents of that god that can, but not necessarily are, the problem.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:45 PM

63,949 posts, read 40,236,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Exposing what is "hateful" about the way Christians treat those they think are sinful in God's eyes is NOT condemning anyone. It is enlightening them and exposing the error in their understanding of Christ and His Gospel of agape love. God is concerned with our state of mind (spirit) toward each other. I have been forced of late to consider my own actions in this regard by a dear friend and I was not pleased with what I saw. It prompts me to speak up here.

What i see here is people talking at cross purposes with each of them sincerely convinced they are on the side of God. But there is too much accusing of one another. Let;s face it, no accusing of each other could EVER be on the side of God. Once the focus of the discussion changes from the beliefs and their "hateful" effects on others to the character and motives of the people expressing their views about it . . God can NOT be pleased. Berating the motives and character of others . . . THAT IS judging.

We should accept the sincerity of others here and NOT disparage their motives or character. We definitely do not know that anyone is trying to justify any sins. If we wish to follow Christ we should make no comments about the motives or character of the people expressing their views. We certainly have no right to call them hypocrites or children of Satan. We should just focus only on the views themselves which are often inconsistent and incompatible.
Bump! STOP this accusing and seeking to point fingers at specific Christians or denominations. EVERYONE who believes hateful thing and acts on them toward others is exhibiting the "dark side" of Christianity and there are MANY who do so in MANY denominations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
I don't think you understand my point, because your reply indicates the opposite. There is a term that is used for those who profess to follow Christ, and that is "Christian." Within that definition there are many perceptions of what it means and many of them are contradictions of others. Within that loose body of perceptions there are some that are what we would consider "dark" or counter to the best interests of humanity. One might name a specific church or denomination, but that could only be an example, not a definition. ALL of those that hold perceptions that are harmful to the spiritual well-being of humans would be considered "the Dark side of Christianity." I hope that helps.
Amen! But those who seek to divide and cause dissension keep seeking to point fingers at SPECIFIC Christians or denominations.
Quote:
The OP said "church" which could be one of many based on the popular use of the word. So I would still have to know which one in order to answer the question. To imply the sin of one is upon all is just foolish and kind of like saying all people of one color are lazy.
YOU are the one suggesting that it must be all or some specific denomination. The believers in the "dark side" of Christianity exist in all sectors and denominations. By their fruits, you will know them. Their fruits are how they treat sinners among them. There is never any excuse for treating anyone badly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Try again. "Church" refers to the body of believers, not to particular denominations. Look into the different uses of the term.
Amen!
Quote:
So you are saying that the RCC is guilty of what Westboro Baptist does? You cannot blame everyone who claims to follow Jesus with the sins of one or two churches. You are just wrong to do so.
This is the logic of bigots and how they stereotype all people in a group based on what some do.
No. YOU are trying to say that. No one is stereotyping any GROUP, we are talking about individuals within most groups who resonate with the "dark side" of Christianity.
Quote:
There is an anti-Christian campaign going on here. Their goal is to associate Christians in general with negative things. The other day they said 30% of Christians are bad, which boils down to about 660 million people, and they mentioned the torturing of gays as an example of things those 'dark Christians' engage in.
There is no such campaign. YOU and others try to sell others on that absurd idea by pretending we must be referring to everyone called Christian or some specific denomination. We are not.
Quote:
I can see that. Only an absolute idiot would deny it. That is what bigots do though.
Clearly you can see no such thing. YOU are projecting bigotry on others. Perhaps you should examine your tendency to see things ONLY in terms of GROUPS.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:08 AM

150 posts, read 97,316 times
Quote:
Then you see how I could not have a hate for your god, as that god means nothing to me. It is the proponents of that god that can, but not necessarily are, the problem.
You seem to spend much time with God's people. Maybe you are realizing you are wrong and need to repent of your hate! It's never too late for you to come into the light and love of God. Best of luck to you.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:18 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,358,215 times
Quote:
You seem to spend much time with God's people. Maybe you are realizing you are wrong and need to repent of your hate! It's never too late for you to come into the light and love of God. Best of luck to you.
I see no hate in Cupper's post, in my opinion it is a spiteful thing to say there is. We already have a big cry baby posting on here claiming he's being hated on because his views are challenged or rejected, one is enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity