Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2016, 02:40 AM

1,419 posts, read 1,055,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
NO ONE here has contorted the Bible, Jeff.
Most people here have contorted the Bible actually, that was what the thread was started for in the first place.

Quote:
J. I. Packer, “Fundamentalism” and the Word of God [Grand Rapids, MI: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., 1958], pp. 69-70.
Even abusing J.I. Packer for your nonsense, really? Did you ever actually read J.I. Packer or did you just google for quotes that seemingly back up your anti-fundi convictions. If you wanna go with J.I. Packer just don't pick and choose, read what he said about homosexuality.

This is an article by J.I. Packer:

In June 2002, the synod of the Anglican Diocese of New Westminster authorized its bishop to produce a service for blessing same-sex unions, to be used in any parish of the diocese that requests it. A number of synod members walked out to protest the decision. They declared themselves out of communion with the bishop and the synod, and they appealed to the Archbishop of Canterbury and other Anglican primates and bishops for help.
J. I. Packer, an executive editor of Christianity Today, was one of those who walked out. Many people have asked him why. Though one part of his answer applies specifically to Anglicans, his larger argument should give guidance to any Christians troubled by developments in their church or denomination.

Why did I walk out with the others? Because this decision, taken in its context, falsifies the gospel of Christ, abandons the authority of Scripture, jeopardizes the salvation of fellow human beings, and betrays the church in its God-appointed role as the bastion and bulwark of divine truth.
My primary authority is a Bible writer named Paul. For many decades now, I have asked myself at every turn of my theological road: Would Paul be with me in this? What would he say if he were in my shoes? I have never dared to offer a view on anything that I did not have good reason to think he would endorse.
In 1 Corinthians we find the following, addressed it seems to exponents of some kind of antinomian spirituality:
Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God (6:9-11, ESV).
To make sure we grasp what Paul is saying here, I pose some questions.
First: What is Paul talking about in this vice list? Answer: Lifestyles, regular behavior patterns, habits of mind and action. He has in view not single lapses followed by repentance, forgiveness, and greater watchfulness (with God's help) against recurrence, but ways of life in which some of his readers were set, believing that for Christians there was no harm in them.

Second: What is Paul saying about these habits? Answer: They are ways of sin that, if not repented of and forsaken, will keep people out of God's kingdom of salvation. Clearly, self-indulgence and self-service, free from self-discipline and self-denial, is the attitude they express, and a lack of moral discernment lies at their heart.

Third: What is Paul saying about homosexuality? Answer: Those who claim to be Christ's should avoid the practice of same-sex physical connection for orgasm, on the model of heterosexual intercourse. Paul's phrase, "men who practice homosexuality," covers two Greek words for the parties involved in these acts. The first, arsenokoitai, means literally "male-bedders," which seems clear enough. The second, malakoi, is used in many connections to mean "unmanly," "womanish," and "effeminate," and here refers to males matching the woman's part in physical sex.
In this context, in which Paul has used two terms for sexual misbehavior, there is really no room for doubt regarding what he has in mind. He must have known, as Christians today know, that some men are sexually drawn to men rather than women, but he is not speaking of inclinations, only of behavior, what has more recently been called acting out. His point is that Christians need to resist these urges, since acting them out cannot please God and will reveal lethal impenitence. Romans 1:26 shows that Paul would have spoken similarly about lesbian acting out if he had had reason to mention it here.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:57 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
The fantasy is all YOURS..but didn't God say something about stupidity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Are you just incapable of making a post that is not an insult?
This is America, you are allowed to perceive it as you wish, even make it fit your persecution complex if that suites your fantasies.

I was right, this is what God has to say about STUPIDITY---

PROVERBS 12:15--25

15 Stupid people always think they are right. Wise people listen to advice.
16 When a fool is annoyed, he quickly lets it be known. Smart people will ignore an insult.
17 When you tell the truth, justice is done, but lies lead to injustice.
18 Thoughtless words can wound as deeply as any sword, but wisely spoken words can heal.
19 A lie has a short life, but truth lives on forever.
20 Those who plan evil are in for a rude surprise, but those who work for good will find happiness.
21 Nothing bad happens to righteous people, but the wicked have nothing but trouble.
22 The Lord hates liars, but is pleased with those who keep their word.
23 Smart people keep quiet about what they know, but stupid people advertise their ignorance.
24 Hard work will give you power; being lazy will make you a slave.
25 Worry can rob you of happiness, but kind words will cheer you up.

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 06-02-2016 at 03:07 AM..

Old 06-02-2016, 04:27 AM

889 posts, read 828,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Agree!

Martin Luther did more to free people from religion than Richard Dawkins could ever hope to do.
But as long as you understand that was NOT his goal.

Old 06-02-2016, 04:46 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
God works is mysterious way..LOL

Old 06-02-2016, 06:51 AM

18,537 posts, read 9,231,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodToBeHome View Post
Understood.

I grew up in conservative Lutheranism, so I know the story of how Luther heroically saved Christianity from the Evil Catholic Church(tm).

Old 06-02-2016, 07:11 AM

10,103 posts, read 5,774,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I hope you may learn to hate the sin in your own heart the way you hate gays. Even those old time evangelists believe your self-imposed ignorance is a form of avoiding introspection.

And I don't hate you. I'm extolling that OT eye for an eye you believe Jesus endorsed. You put your finger in the eye of every homosexual who comes on these threads. God tells me to poke you back. Ain't it grand loving those OT words! . Flaming hypocrite meet yourself.

The clock---it is a ticking for you.

That's really all that needs to be said here.
The clock is ticking. I must hurry up and embrace sin!! You know what people really need out there? They need encouragement. But you want to encourage them to keep on sinning. I'm only speaking my opinion on the nature of sin. You get directly in my face and throw offensive lies and judgements. That's the definition of a flaming hypocrite.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
This is America, you are allowed to perceive it as you wish, even make it fit your persecution complex if that suites your fantasies.

I was right, this is what God has to say about STUPIDITY---

PROVERBS 12:15--25

15 Stupid people always think they are right. Wise people listen to advice.
16 When a fool is annoyed, he quickly lets it be known. Smart people will ignore an insult.
17 When you tell the truth, justice is done, but lies lead to injustice.
18 Thoughtless words can wound as deeply as any sword, but wisely spoken words can heal.
19 A lie has a short life, but truth lives on forever.
20 Those who plan evil are in for a rude surprise, but those who work for good will find happiness.
21 Nothing bad happens to righteous people, but the wicked have nothing but trouble.
22 The Lord hates liars, but is pleased with those who keep their word.
23 Smart people keep quiet about what they know, but stupid people advertise their ignorance.
24 Hard work will give you power; being lazy will make you a slave.
25 Worry can rob you of happiness, but kind words will cheer you up.
I guess I am stupid in that sense. Smart people constantly ask me, why do you waste your time with those kind of people? They'll never listen to reason or admit they are wrong.

Gotta love how you have no problem using the OT when it fits your needs though.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:13 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,596,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Right now, I'm standing up for the freedom of Christian business owners who do not want to get involved in an immoral ceremony.
This comment I find bizarre and have responded to many times. How does any business owner get involved in the ceremony? The only people involved in the marriage ceremony are:

spouse 1
spouse 2
officiant
witness 1
witness 2

Everyone else is an observer - they are not involved in the ceremony at all. The baker, the flower shop owner, the caterer etc. are NOT part of the ceremony and are not required.

For my own marriage the only folks there were us, 2 witness and the judge who performed the ceremony. We stopped at Carl's Jr. after for lunch (aka our reception). Does that mean the folks at Carl's Jr. in Walsenburg, CO were involved in our ceremony? If so, I forgot to thank them... and they forgot to give us a wedding gift

Give up on the idea that a baker, or candlestick maker are involved in a wedding ceremony. They are not.

Not back to your regular bashing

Old 06-02-2016, 08:45 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,538,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanokh View Post
Most people here have contorted the Bible actually, that was what the thread was started for in the first place.

Even abusing J.I. Packer for your nonsense, really? Did you ever actually read J.I. Packer or did you just google for quotes that seemingly back up your anti-fundi convictions. If you wanna go with J.I. Packer just don't pick and choose, read what he said about homosexuality.

This is an article by J.I. Packer:

In June 2002, the synod of the Anglican Diocese of New Westminster authorized its bishop to produce a service for blessing same-sex unions, to be used in any parish of the diocese that requests it. A number of synod members walked out to protest the decision. They declared themselves out of communion with the bishop and the synod, and they appealed to the Archbishop of Canterbury and other Anglican primates and bishops for help.
J. I. Packer, an executive editor of Christianity Today, was one of those who walked out. Many people have asked him why. Though one part of his answer applies specifically to Anglicans, his larger argument should give guidance to any Christians troubled by developments in their church or denomination.

Why did I walk out with the others? Because this decision, taken in its context, falsifies the gospel of Christ, abandons the authority of Scripture, jeopardizes the salvation of fellow human beings, and betrays the church in its God-appointed role as the bastion and bulwark of divine truth.
My primary authority is a Bible writer named Paul. For many decades now, I have asked myself at every turn of my theological road: Would Paul be with me in this? What would he say if he were in my shoes? I have never dared to offer a view on anything that I did not have good reason to think he would endorse.
In 1 Corinthians we find the following, addressed it seems to exponents of some kind of antinomian spirituality:
Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus and by the Spirit of our God (6:9-11, ESV).
To make sure we grasp what Paul is saying here, I pose some questions.
First: What is Paul talking about in this vice list? Answer: Lifestyles, regular behavior patterns, habits of mind and action. He has in view not single lapses followed by repentance, forgiveness, and greater watchfulness (with God's help) against recurrence, but ways of life in which some of his readers were set, believing that for Christians there was no harm in them.

Second: What is Paul saying about these habits? Answer: They are ways of sin that, if not repented of and forsaken, will keep people out of God's kingdom of salvation. Clearly, self-indulgence and self-service, free from self-discipline and self-denial, is the attitude they express, and a lack of moral discernment lies at their heart.

Third: What is Paul saying about homosexuality? Answer: Those who claim to be Christ's should avoid the practice of same-sex physical connection for orgasm, on the model of heterosexual intercourse. Paul's phrase, "men who practice homosexuality," covers two Greek words for the parties involved in these acts. The first, arsenokoitai, means literally "male-bedders," which seems clear enough. The second, malakoi, is used in many connections to mean "unmanly," "womanish," and "effeminate," and here refers to males matching the woman's part in physical sex.
In this context, in which Paul has used two terms for sexual misbehavior, there is really no room for doubt regarding what he has in mind. He must have known, as Christians today know, that some men are sexually drawn to men rather than women, but he is not speaking of inclinations, only of behavior, what has more recently been called acting out. His point is that Christians need to resist these urges, since acting them out cannot please God and will reveal lethal impenitence. Romans 1:26 shows that Paul would have spoken similarly about lesbian acting out if he had had reason to mention it here.

Fact is we Christians are not expected to debate the wantonly blind and deaf, simply we are to state the truth and leave it be.

If they choose to continue on in the same people continue in stubbornness and malicious mocking, their every word uttered and idol talk of themselves (including here) will be held to account.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
This comment I find bizarre and have responded to many times. How does any business owner get involved in the ceremony? The only people involved in the marriage ceremony are:

spouse 1
spouse 2
officiant
witness 1
witness 2

Everyone else is an observer - they are not involved in the ceremony at all. The baker, the flower shop owner, the caterer etc. are NOT part of the ceremony and are not required.

For my own marriage the only folks there were us, 2 witness and the judge who performed the ceremony. We stopped at Carl's Jr. after for lunch (aka our reception). Does that mean the folks at Carl's Jr. in Walsenburg, CO were involved in our ceremony? If so, I forgot to thank them... and they forgot to give us a wedding gift

Give up on the idea that a baker, or candlestick maker are involved in a wedding ceremony. They are not.

Not back to your regular bashing
If it involved a ceremony that you found immoral or a strong violation of your religious, would you want to be involved on any level? They are still assisting in making the wedding a success.

What if it was an incest wedding?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity