Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 11:54 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,449,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney View Post
Wow...then based on what you've just written (which I might be wrong because I'm not even sure what you wrote was coherent), you've gone from a liberal to an ultra conservative and ultra judgmental nut. I moved from very conservative Christian to the middle because of people like you. You don't have monopoly on the Holy Spirit no matter how much Christianese you use in your posts. I don't consider the liberal side to be perfect by a long shot, but I'm not about to make claims about one side or the other all being Godless heathens!
There is a vast difference between being liberal as in generous and Liberal as allowing anything that someone wants to do or feels good, etc. Liberalism today usually means rejecting very direct statements in scripture and approving everything, good or bad, in the name of love. Oops love also means avoiding wrong and not trying to make Bad into good.

Political, Social and Biblical Liberalism are different things.

Ditto with conservatism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 12:04 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,273,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
But he did not demand funds from his followers, etc, they were voluntary contributions. No if we can acquire resources to share as he did, Miraculously, then I would share in abundance. Currently I have to be wise in what I share and have available to share and to whom I share it with.
He did say go and sell your possessions and give to the poor and follow me..

Old 09-14-2016, 12:07 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,273,256 times
Quote:
But would that also mean that a believer would not judge others who do judge people , demean them, insult them, etc ...................
Jesus flipped the tables and rebuked the Pharisees right?

Then He said we would do as He has done and do even GREATER..including flipping tables and rebuking the Pharisees...

Old 09-14-2016, 12:15 PM

15,897 posts, read 6,366,137 times
Quote:
But would that also mean that a believer would not judge others who do judge people , demean them, insult them, etc ...................
That's right. If you hate haters then you are a hater too.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
He did say go and sell your possessions and give to the poor and follow me..
To one person. Not a command to all followers. This was an individual who wanted to physically walk with Jesus as Peter, James, John, etc did.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Jesus flipped the tables and rebuked the Pharisees right?

Then He said we would do as He has done and do even GREATER..including flipping tables and rebuking the Pharisees...
Aah, but Pharisees were religious leaders, not your average man.

Trash a table full of money changers any time you are in the Temple.

Old 09-14-2016, 12:25 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,397,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
How on earth do liberal Christians believe that the Christian Left is dying or in decline?
Because significant number of those holding pro gay marriage beliefs and embracing environmentalism are not liberal Christians. Rather, they are secular / agnostics.

At the end of the day, the Christian left has been declining in numbers for generations and their direct influence in society has also been waning.

The Episcopelian (sp) church has been on demographic life support for the last generation and the prognosis is getting worse. That does not mean that there are no individual success stories though.

Last edited by Cryptic; 09-14-2016 at 12:48 PM..

Old 09-14-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
That's right. If you hate haters then you are a hater too.
They end up hating themselves.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:48 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,354,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostee View Post
What does Christianity have to offer to liberal beliefs? Even 10 years ago, gay marriage was an unpopular position, now more than half agree with it now. Over the past one or two decades, environmental regulations have been implemented that the left considers absolutely necessary. How on earth do liberal Christians believe that the Christian Left is dying or in decline?

And even though I don't really care about gay marriage or other types of these issues, I don't like seeing liberal Christians cherry picking only the "feel-good" believers, and invoking pacifism or other themes as justification for their Christianity. That's not how Christianity works. Yet, my sentiment is very controversial lately. I'm going all out here, but: if the bible doesn't say homosexuality is a sin, why do half of Christians in the US support laws that either don't even recognize it or just flat out oppose it? How could you honestly be a Christian and even support laws silencing the speech based on being offensive, when the speaker is Christian themselves?

As far as I know, there is nothing I heard about Christianity anecdotally that can support liberalism. Also, don't the laws that are perceived to discriminate against other groups apply to all denominations?
Maybe because the right wing apostate church is spreading like wildfire?.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:05 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,619,291 times
yeah they are. If they keep pushing stuff like dude died, woke up, and flew away as literal ... we rational in the middle have to leave. the people that judge claims on how well they match observations, usually are "liberal" liberal and "liberal" conservative".

The more "conservative" the liberal or
the more "conservative" the conservative
the more rational people move away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity