Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2017, 03:24 AM

45,925 posts, read 27,575,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Let me ask you this question, your bible says "be ye imitators of God".........so are you saying we should destroy our enemies too or leave it to the one we imitate ?.
Let's try it again... God sent us His most prized possession to die for His enemies... to give His enemies a chance to escape hell.

Here's something else. He communicating to His enemies what is to come. He is telling His enemies that hell is coming for those that do not believe in His Son.

Usually in a war, you don't tell the enemy what is coming. It is loving to tell your enemies... hey, danger is ahead if you don't believe in what I am telling you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 04:00 AM

37,348 posts, read 28,457,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Let's try it again... God sent us His most prized possession to die for His enemies... to give His enemies a chance to escape hell.

Here's something else. He communicating to His enemies what is to come. He is telling His enemies that hell is coming for those that do not believe in His Son.

Usually in a war, you don't tell the enemy what is coming. It is loving to tell your enemies... hey, danger is ahead if you don't believe in what I am telling you.
Where is this belief in the Bible ?.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Where is this belief in the Bible ?.
Not sure exactly to what you are referring...

Old 02-27-2017, 07:51 AM

1,100 posts, read 800,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
When Jesus stipulated when God and Himself would love someone or gave instructions for becoming a child of God He was in so many words saying that not everyone is a child of God or loved by God.

The reason for this thread is to counter those who claim to follow Jesus but disregard His word.

Verses of reference;

"While you have the light believe in the light and you will become a child of light." John 12:36

"He who keeps the commandments he has from me is the man who loves and the man who loves me will be loved by my Father, I too shall love him and reveal myself to him." John 14:21

According to these verses does Jesus love everyone?
In context:

John 12:34 The people answered him, We have heard out of the law that Christ abideth for ever: and how sayest thou, The Son of man must be lifted up? who is this Son of man?35 Then Jesus said unto them, Yet a little while is the light with you. Walk while ye have the light, lest darkness come upon you: for he that walketh in darkness knoweth not whither he goeth.36 While ye have light, believe in the light, that ye may be the children of light. These things spake Jesus, and departed, and did hide himself from them.

Jesus was talking about while He is present with them as they believed in Him to pray that they continue to do so even after the time of His crucifixon when believing in Him after His ascension is when they become children of light.

John 14:21 is talking about the promise of the permanent indwelling Holy Ghost that will be given to believers by the Father after Jesus's ascension to Heaven when He had gone to God the Father in preparing the way for us in Heaven in becoming citizens of Heaven in having a place in Heaven.

If you read John 14:15-17 that cites keeping His commandments to receive that promise of that seal of adoption, the Holy Spirit, you will see that commandments repeated over and over again in how believers get that promise by believing in Him.

John 14:1Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.4 And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.5 Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.8 Philip saith unto him, Lord, show us the Father, and it sufficeth us.9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father?10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him......23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.25 These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

So the commandments He is talking about is believing in Him to receive the promise from the Father which is the permanent indwelling Holy Ghost; our seal of adoption.

So I am not sure how you can take those 2 references out of context and say that He will not love every child of God that has His seal. As a Father, He will scourge every child He receives that are disobedient, but that seal of adoption will never go away just as He will not cease to be the Father.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:30 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,503,056 times
Quote:
He is telling His enemies that hell is coming for those that do not believe in His Son.
Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time?

Old 02-28-2017, 02:08 AM

3,536 posts, read 1,724,900 times
Quote:
He is telling His enemies that hell is coming for those that do not believe in His Son.
Even Jesus descended into hell. Do you know what that means? Jesus will also empty hell.

For if, while we were God's enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life! Romans 5:10

Old 02-28-2017, 02:44 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,363,519 times
Quote:

I always thought that HUMANITY was God's most prized possession..that is if God is capable of even having possessions...

Strange how humanity is so quick to attribute HUMAN EMOTIONS to a GOD who is supposedly able to do ANYTHING...

God sent his only begotten son...as if god is incapable of ever having another?? As if this son was somehow this son was actually a "fruit of god's loins" like a human conception???

What was really at risk? If Jesus was never in danger of "dying" as we know it, and since Jesus was returning immediately to the "father" how was this such a sacrifice???

Why is this made out to be such a tragedy when in reality, if the story is true, Jesus died for another's sin (which the bible states is not possible) when Jesus never really had anything, let alone "life" at risk???

Jesus did not die for our sins, he died to show us what LOVE looks like in action....

Old 02-28-2017, 03:27 AM

37,348 posts, read 28,457,106 times
Quote:

I'm at a loss for words that the glorious gospel has been reduced to this utter nonsense.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
Even Jesus descended into hell. Do you know what that means? Jesus will also empty hell.

For if, while we were God's enemies, we were reconciled to him through the death of his Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through his life! Romans 5:10
When Jesus told the thief on the cross that today He would be with Him in paradise, where is that? The answer is Sheol (place of departed spirits).

There are two areas of Sheol as described by Jesus. The area for those souls/spirits saved, He described as Abraham's bosom (Luke 16) and paradise (Luke 23). The area for the unsaved souls/spirits is called Hell. There is a great chasm between the two - as described by Jesus in Luke 16.

When Jesus ascended, Ephesians 4 says he led a host of captives. That is from the paradise side. The Hell side remains unchanged - until Revelation 20:13

Old 02-28-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
I'm at a loss for words that the glorious gospel has been reduced to this utter nonsense.
The "glorious gospel" in which you do not believe...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity