Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2016, 04:34 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,652,736 times

Advertisements

words are changing and we are learning maybe?

"no worse off", yeah, that's true. most reasonable thinking people believe that. And for some, they are no worse off believing too.

"you" are "you", we can change that "you" to a degree ourselves or to a great degree if we use what the universe has given us. 'god" won't care (to a degree) if we make the jump to the next step sooner rather than later. I am not sure "stone cold" logic is the way to go.

the slogan of ... "... No worse off..." off to dead we go.

is better than running around ranting about "personal emotional meaning" and offering nothing in return but the "power of now". And thieft-ist need to stop telling others what they need to believe or, for no gods sake, control their fundy-mental theiftist please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 06:16 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,442,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
The LDS Bible Dictionary says: A dispensation of the gospel is a period of time in which the Lord has at least one authorized servant on the earth who bears the holy priesthood and the keys, and who has a divine commission to dispense the gospel to the inhabitants of the earth.

So who is the AUTHORIZED SERVANT ON EARTH today?
This old guy (I am not a Christian and I do not believe in a god, just answering your LDS/Mormon question)

https://www.mormon.org/faq/present-day-prophet

Old 09-28-2016, 06:34 PM

4,432 posts, read 7,004,616 times
There is no such thing as a ex-christian. The people that claim to be Christian were not truly Christian to begin with.

They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us John 2:19.

A true Christian is a person who has fully trusted in Jesus Christ alone for salvation. A true Christian is a person who understands what the Bible says about sin, sin’s penalty, who Jesus is, what Jesus did for us, and how that provides for the forgiveness of sin. It is a person who has a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and see the Lord as their savour. A christian is where the Holy spirit dwells in a person.https://www.gotquestions.org/ex-Christian.html Even though a person goes through trials as a Christian or hardship will never depart from the faith.

I believe you can know the bible and I also will refer to the Luke 8:13 on the topic of the rocky soil, where many will depart due to they have no root in the soil. He may like you appear to be a Christian outwardly , but has not completely devoted himself/herself to God.

Old 09-28-2016, 09:59 PM

64,086 posts, read 40,368,724 times
Quote:
The LDS Bible Dictionary says: A dispensation of the gospel is a period of time in which the Lord has at least one authorized servant on the earth who bears the holy priesthood and the keys, and who has a divine commission to dispense the gospel to the inhabitants of the earth.
Nobody. Anyone who claims the status is deluded and arrogant.

Old 09-28-2016, 10:55 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,467,233 times
Quote:
The Spirit of Truth, not man or the Bible.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:29 AM

64,086 posts, read 40,368,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post

Old 09-29-2016, 05:05 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,710,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
There is no such thing as a ex-christian. The people that claim to be Christian were not truly Christian to begin with.

They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us John 2:19.

A true Christian is a person who has fully trusted in Jesus Christ alone for salvation. A true Christian is a person who understands what the Bible says about sin, sin’s penalty, who Jesus is, what Jesus did for us, and how that provides for the forgiveness of sin. It is a person who has a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and see the Lord as their savour. A christian is where the Holy spirit dwells in a person.https://www.gotquestions.org/ex-Christian.html Even though a person goes through trials as a Christian or hardship will never depart from the faith.

I believe you can know the bible and I also will refer to the Luke 8:13 on the topic of the rocky soil, where many will depart due to they have no root in the soil. He may like you appear to be a Christian outwardly , but has not completely devoted himself/herself to God.
Ah, the No True Scotsman Fallacy. I saw this mentioned on another thread when ex-atheists who are now Christians were listed. It happens both ways regardless of your belief/hope. As much as I am an ex-Christian, I could be an ex-Atheist if the evidence ever presents itself.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:34 AM

21,087 posts, read 29,326,086 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post

Jeeze Jerwade, just be the spoiler... you do this with movies and books as well?

You were probably the one in line and shouted out THE SHIP SINKS IN THE END while waiting for Titanic tickets at the box office??

I was really hoping to hear Monson's name...

Old 09-29-2016, 09:46 AM

28,151 posts, read 30,120,371 times
Quote:
I was really hoping to hear Monson's name...
I already said it. MAtheBanker posted a picture of "this old guy" and MysticPhD labeled him as deluded and arrogant (even though he is neither of these things). What more do you want?

Old 09-29-2016, 09:54 AM

1,544 posts, read 929,438 times
I wouldn't say I lost my faith, per se; I just chose to walk away from Christianity. The energy of the congregation felt robot-like and I felt something amiss with the Bishop. This was two years after choosing to get baptized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity