Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2016, 11:07 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,198,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
BUT NONE WERE SPOKEN BY GOD...they were all created by MEN
How do you know that? You are making statements about what you THINK but have no way of backing up. YOUR opinion is that we are are all selfish pigs motivated by fear or bigotry or whatever but you can't comprehend the idea that you are instead trying to selfishly impose your will on others. That is bigotry at it's most basic level.

Old 10-11-2016, 11:09 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,397,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
And you have yet to prove that point. You are making assertions about what we believe, and what our motivations are, but at the most basic level, it's you whining about your OPINION of what we believe is. Get over the idea that we are not all like you. It IS possible to honestly want to follow God and do what he says.

And you have yet to answer the question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
And what do you think that women are not equipped to do in the churches?
While you're at it, explain in what way you believe women are deficient that would make them incapable of doing these things.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:

While you're at it, explain in what way you believe women are deficient that would make them incapable of doing these things.
God's Word states that a prerequisite for being a pastor, elder, or deacon is to be a man. No, women are not incapable or disallowed from serving in churches, nor are they incapable of teaching. They are not lesser than any man, or inferior.

Now again...no one has explained how being disallowed from holding an office means that they are inferior. We certainly don't consider women to be inferior, and the OP's post suggesting it is a simply a lie.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
God's Word states that a prerequisite for being a pastor, elder, or deacon is to be a man. No, women are not incapable or disallowed from serving in churches, nor are they incapable of teaching. They are not lesser than any man, or inferior.
You didn't actually answer the second part of that question. In what way do you believe women are deficient which makes them incapable of being elders, pastors or deacons, other than that they are not male?

Quote:
Now again...no one has explained how being disallowed from holding an office means that they are inferior. We certainly don't consider women to be inferior, and the OP's post suggesting it is a simply a lie.

Because you do not allow women to hold any position of leadership or perceived authority over a man. And you cannot explain what makes a women incapable of being in such a position.

Old 10-11-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
You didn't actually answer the second part of that question. In what way do you believe women are deficient which makes them incapable of being elders, pastors or deacons, other than that they are not male?
I never said women were deficient. I said that God's Word has a prerequisite for the offices of pastor/elder and deacon to be male.
Quote:

Because you do not allow women to hold any position of leadership or perceived authority over a man. And you cannot explain what makes a women incapable of being in such a position.
I have explained it, and I have explained that it is not ME that is disallowing it. Women are certainly capable of being fine theologians and of being good teachers. I've worked for women in the business world, and I've had women teachers in college. I also believe women are under-utilized in churches.

Please stop putting words in my mouth.

Old 10-11-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I never said women were deficient. I said that God's Word has a prerequisite for the offices of pastor/elder and deacon to be male.

I have explained it, and I have explained that it is not ME that is disallowing it. Women are certainly capable of being fine theologians and of being good teachers. I've worked for women in the business world, and I've had women teachers in college. I also believe women are under-utilized in churches.

Back up. You said:

Quote:
<snipped> There are things that women can do that I can't do.
implying that there are things you, as a man, can do that women CAN'T do. Not that they are simply prohibited from doing, but that they are not capable of doing. But what you actually meant is that there is nothing keeping them from being pastors, elders or deacons (things they are fully capable of) other than words written 2000 years ago in a very different time and culture? It's just an arbitrary thing that you believe God commands.

Old 10-11-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Back up. You said:

implying that there are things you, as a man, can do that women CAN'T do. Not that they are simply prohibited from doing, but that they are not capable of doing.
No. Please stop making assumptions and putting words in my mouth. Women are not inferior to men.
Quote:
But what you actually meant is that there is nothing keeping them from being pastors, elders or deacons (things they are fully capable of) other than words written 2000 years ago in a very different time and culture? It's just an arbitrary thing that you believe God commands.
If you think that church polity is simply based on human beings and the culture, then I can see where you'd have an issue with it. If that was the case, then I would agree with you that a pastor can be a man or a woman. I know for a fact that women are just as good at some functions, and I'd suggest even better than a lot of men. I have watched women pastors interact with people--I believe they are specially gifted to be able to relate to people as men cannot--especially other women.

But God's Word explicitly states that a pastor needs to be a man. Not only that, we know it's not a cultural issue, because the passage where it is talked about (1 Tim 3) goes back and references the order of creation. It's not something that was written to ONLY a specific church in a certain city.

Old 10-11-2016, 01:30 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,406,841 times
Quote:

It is all they have.

Old 10-11-2016, 01:36 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
It is all they have.
And all you have is a mouldy old book written by primitive men in a barbaric age.

Old 10-11-2016, 01:41 PM

20,442 posts, read 12,796,101 times
Quote:
In a choice between God and the bible (or how other people use it), yes, God wins. Do you think it should be otherwise?
You would know little about God and nothing about Jesus without the Bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity