Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 06:12 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,768,983 times

Advertisements

My husband is friends with a couple he has known since the 1990's who both want the upper hand. They have dated off and on since the 1990's. Both of them are controlling in nature, but they have a take it or leave it attitude regarding anyone who does not want to deal with that behavior.

Both of them are Christians.

They are just friends at the moment.

The woman wants to find a mate who will take care of her. My husband senses that she is bitter and frustrated with life as well as what God has given her. She has an I do not care attitude.

My husband and I have been out to lunch and dinner with them several times, but it has gotten to the point that I cannot and do not want to deal with that behavior.

She also an influence over her male friend as to who he should and should not help.

How do you deal with people who are like this when your spouse is friends with them?

Old 10-10-2016, 06:38 PM

6,222 posts, read 4,009,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snugglegirl05 View Post
My husband is friends with a couple he has known since the 1990's who both want the upper hand. They have dated off and on since the 1990's. Both of them are controlling in nature, but they have a take it or leave it attitude regarding anyone who does not want to deal with that behavior.

The woman wants to find a mate who will take care of her. My husband senses that she is bitter and frustrated with life as well as what God has given her. She has an I do not care attitude.

My husband and I have been out to lunch and dinner with them several times, but it has gotten to the point that I cannot and do not want to deal with that behavior.

She also an influence over her male friend as to who he should and should not help.

How do you deal with people who are like this when your spouse is friends with them?
The place to start is with your spouse because the other couple probably couldn't care less.

How I deal with difficult people is to avoid them or choose (when applicable) my battles carefully. Remember Tar-Baby?!

Old 10-10-2016, 06:45 PM

45,571 posts, read 27,164,944 times
Either go out to have a good time and don't engage in the nonsense... or don't go at all.

Old 10-10-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Either go out to have a good time and don't engage in the nonsense... or don't go at all.
And how do you not engage in the nonsense when you are around them?

Old 10-10-2016, 07:16 PM

According to my husband the female half of the couple has been stepped on, walked on, and used. People she has known have left her for some reason, which I do not know. She has an I do not care attitude because of this as well as a take it or leave it attitude.

Old 10-10-2016, 07:46 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,844,473 times
Quote:

I prefer whips and bondage, that usually keeps people in line. Wait. What was the question again?

Old 10-10-2016, 09:23 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,948,525 times
Quote:

Is the issue you have with these people the fact that they have controlling personalities or that they are Christians? Seems to me that the two issues are actually unrelated and that you might get some more helpful answers had you posted this is the relationships forum.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Is the issue you have with these people the fact that they have controlling personalities or that they are Christians? Seems to me that the two issues are actually unrelated and that you might get some more helpful answers had you posted this is the relationships forum.
I tried to tell her how I felt about the situation, but she wants me to leave her alone.

So that is what I am doing.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:06 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,352,130 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm not so sure about that, there may be a direct correlation?

Old 10-10-2016, 10:19 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,352,130 times
Quote:
I tried to tell her how I felt about the situation, but she wants me to leave her alone.

So that is what I am doing.
That does not explain why you posted on a Christian forum?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity