Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2016, 02:13 PM

3,348 posts, read 1,640,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Most bible fundamentalists are in wilderness of handed down beliefs and traditions.
yes; but i don't want to label anyone. Better to me to let them reveal their hearts; they will contradict Scripture if their heart is not true, and their own words may be used to...decide. No one has all of the truth, i'm sure you would agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 03:30 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,698,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
It does just the opposite. It teaches them what is evil so they can avoid participating in it.
So why doesn't the Bible teach them that owning another person as property is evil? The Bible is one tool used by American slave owners to justify their actions toward slaves, as some believers do today to justify subjugating women and condemning homosexuals.

Old 10-21-2016, 04:22 PM

2,186 posts, read 1,173,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
So why doesn't the Bible teach them that owning another person as property is evil? The Bible is one tool used by American slave owners to justify their actions toward slaves, as some believers do today to justify subjugating women and condemning homosexuals.
Honest observation would see that the Bible is the mind of men and not the god they claim. Too many absurdities, flaws and contradictions.

Old 10-21-2016, 04:22 PM

thus revealing their hearts, and preserving their free will. amen.

Old 10-21-2016, 05:05 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,809,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
Honest observation would see that the Bible is the mind of men and not the god they claim. Too many absurdities, flaws and contradictions.
What is God supposed to be like?

Old 10-21-2016, 05:07 PM

Old 10-21-2016, 05:13 PM

37,340 posts, read 28,327,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
yes; but i don't want to label anyone. Better to me to let them reveal their hearts; they will contradict Scripture if their heart is not true, and their own words may be used to...decide. No one has all of the truth, i'm sure you would agree.
Jesus stuck a few on them , i like white washed tombs one the best. He didn't tell us to beware of anything other than the hypocrisy of fundamentalism which is rife in this present day. We don't hear him saying watch out for those prostitutes, tax collectors and publicans at anytime. I remember years ago in my fundy days working on construction sites, i was tagged "squeaky clean"(i really wasn't, i was a white washed tomb), by those who nicknamed me born again(which made me laugh).

The greatest hypocrisy being.... believing their sins are graciously covered while condemning those who do not believe what they do and those whom they call sinners to eternal hell. How can you believe you are graciously forgiven(yet admit to still sinning) and then condemn another to eternal hell(wicked servant syndrome).
Fundamentalism is the religion of hades.

No one has all the truth, yet fundamentalists believe they have.... they have the bible(the truth according to them) and there is no truth outside of it.

Old 10-21-2016, 05:21 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,250,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
What is God supposed to be like?
The God I know is:

For his anger is but for a moment, and his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning.

Righteousness and justice are the foundation of your throne; steadfast love and faithfulness go before you.

To the Lord our God belong mercy and forgiveness, for we have rebelled against him

“Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. ...

Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen.

Old 10-21-2016, 05:30 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,809,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
The God I know is:

For his anger is but for a moment, and his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may tarry for the night, but joy comes with the morning.

Righteousness and justice are the foundation of your throne; steadfast love and faithfulness go before you.

To the Lord our God belong mercy and forgiveness, for we have rebelled against him

“Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. ...

Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen.
I wasn't aware you worshipped the Bible God.

Old 10-21-2016, 05:53 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,936,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I wasn't aware you worshipped the Bible God.
There is no such thing as "the Bible God." There is a record of the various perceptions about God in the OT ranging from anthropomorphic to some very good insights in Jeremiah and Micah and culminating in the revelation of Jesus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity