Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 09:19 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,057,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Because Jesus ATTENDED a feast is NOT Jesus ESTABLISHING a feast. The Lord's Supper He ESTABLISHED. What you have done is developed a theology of feasts that have nothing to do with Jesus. He ate with sinners at feasts, too. But that doesn't mean He ESTABLISHED anything.

You've proven nothing except your hubris is still running rampant.

You've selected Scriptures to keep alive your hopes of having men look to you for YOUR explanation of what Scripture is, while ignoring the quite plain and simple Scriptures that no one has to fight over IF they have the Spirit of God in them.
I Cor 13:1

Got tongues? They are a distant second to love.
I Cor 13:13

Got faith or hope? Secondary to love. Or have you some secret revelation that makes Paul wrong in his account?

1 John 2:6
And how did Jesus live? 1 John 2 goes on to say:

1 John 2:10-11
1 John 3:14

We tend to make it harder,
Build steeples out of stone,
Fill with explanations of The Way,
But if we'd stop and listen
And break a little bread,
We would hear the Master say
Loving God, loving each other,
Making music with my friends;
Loving God, loving each other,
And the music never ends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1CxAW2vCyM
What I cannot understand is why you cannot grasp Jesus' summary of everything you say you hold dear:
Matt. 22:38-40

This is ALL the LAW according to Jesus, but you call Him a liar and say it is about festivals and inner and outer courts. You start in about "manifestations of the Spirit" with regard to tongues.

People spend time on what is dearest to them. Love is obviously not dear to you because at best it is secondary. You've even claimed righteousness is God's main attribute. I say no one is righteous unless their inner being is controlled by love--by putting others ahead of themselves in everything.

I just hope people reading these things see that Pilate's decision regarding Jesus is not always so obvious. Others give lip service to Jesus but denigrate what He said was most important.

So Rbb1, was Jesus correct about ALL the Law and Prophets being summed up in the two commandments He gave us? Yes or No? And, if yes, why isn't love all consuming in your spiritual life?

More twisting of words. He didn't HAVE to establish the feasts, THEY WERE ALREADY ESTABLISHED BY HIS FATHER. YOU said He didn't go to any but Passover, I proved you wrong. He is the PATTERN SON, so He went, why aren't you? Oh, I know because you want to make Him out to be a liar when He said those that love Me, obey my commandments, which of course, would include the 3 main feasts that He said in His word, were to be observed FOREVER. Not just until Jesus came along, but FOREVER. So tell, me, why isn't His love all consuming in YOUR spiritual life? Peace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 11:26 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,729,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
More twisting of words. He didn't HAVE to establish the feasts, THEY WERE ALREADY ESTABLISHED BY HIS FATHER. YOU said He didn't go to any but Passover, I proved you wrong. He is the PATTERN SON, so He went, why aren't you? Oh, I know because you want to make Him out to be a liar when He said those that love Me, obey my commandments, which of course, would include the 3 main feasts that He said in His word, were to be observed FOREVER. Not just until Jesus came along, but FOREVER. So tell, me, why isn't His love all consuming in YOUR spiritual life? Peace
Without love your feasts mean nothing. Do you build a booth and consider that to be honoring God? You live as the preeminent Christian Pharisee, observing OT feasts but refusing to see what pleases God---and Jesus told you in Matt 7:13:

But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’ For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

Why aren't you doing what He did and eating with sinners? Why do you practice the rites of men but fail to practice being right TOWARD men? If you are so blessed with the Spirit of God why are there so many posters hearing nothing but hubris come out of your mouth. There are deists and atheists, even animists on this thread that sound more like a mouth of God than you do.

If you want to be "right," I'll grant you it. Unfortunately what makes you "right" makes you ineffective as a witness for Jesus. I'll let you praise all the feasts of the OT, but in the New, Jesus only said keep one, and that was the one He established---The Lord's Supper--a new one, at that. Even the one you boast about--the festival of booths---Jesus didn't wave a flag as He entered the city---He snuck in because so many religious people in that city lived to observe festivals while failing to love others.

And you have not yet responded directly to the question of whether love is superior to faith and hope. Over and over you dodge Paul's greatest writing and Jesus' summary of the Law and prophets. That's why no one can see Christ in you. You still manage to have the same religion and insist on the same rituals as the men that killed Him.

What is greatest Rbb1, loving people or investing effort in holding up the Festival of Booths? The people Jesus died for---those ugly, nasty, Christ denying drunks, prostitutes, and addicts---or your obsession with OT rituals?

If I weren't on my IPad I would post Elvis' rendition of "If That Isn't Love."

Old 05-21-2017, 01:01 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,080,697 times
Quote:
Without love your feasts mean nothing. Do you build a booth and consider that to be honoring God? You live as the preeminent Christian Pharisee, observing OT feasts but refusing to see what pleases God---and Jesus told you in Matt 7:13:

But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’ For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.â€

Why aren't you doing what He did and eating with sinners? Why do you practice the rites of men but fail to practice being right TOWARD men? If you are so blessed with the Spirit of God why are there so many posters hearing nothing but hubris come out of your mouth. There are deists and atheists, even animists on this thread that sound more like a mouth of God than you do.

If you want to be "right," I'll grant you it. Unfortunately what makes you "right" makes you ineffective as a witness for Jesus. I'll let you praise all the feasts of the OT, but in the New, Jesus only said keep one, and that was the one He established---The Lord's Supper--a new one, at that. Even the one you boast about--the festival of booths---Jesus didn't wave a flag as He entered the city---He snuck in because so many religious people in that city lived to observe festivals while failing to love others.

And you have not yet responded directly to the question of whether love is superior to faith and hope. Over and over you dodge Paul's greatest writing and Jesus' summary of the Law and prophets. That's why no one can see Christ in you. You still manage to have the same religion and insist on the same rituals as the men that killed Him.

What is greatest Rbb1, loving people or investing effort in holding up the Festival of Booths? The people Jesus died for---those ugly, nasty, Christ denying drunks, prostitutes, and addicts---or your obsession with OT rituals?

The last supper was the Passover...

Old 05-21-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
The last supper was the Passover...

Yes, but you can't tell him that....after all, they've all been done away with. Peace

Old 05-21-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:

But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’ For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

YOU have no idea what I do or what I don't do. Your doctrines are wrong, and that is why you always resort to attacking the poster, because you stand on NOTHING but your opinions and a few cherry picked scriptures.

And no, He snuck in because it's a pattern, and the pattern is that He comes IN SECRET, meaning it's not observable, ie. the kingdom of G-c comes without observation. It had NOTHING to do with what the people were doing pertaining to love. Peace

Old 05-21-2017, 11:03 AM

23,209 posts, read 10,505,007 times
Quote:

Acceptance is all God asks, that you come out of the ways of the world and believe in his ways, I don't keep the laws of the feasts.

But I don't turn to other gods in other feasts not ordained by God, and there is a big difference.

I converted to Judaism in that I accept I am guilty by the law. Christians didn't turn to the Holy days of Babylon till after the Jewish war.

Who cares whether you keep any of the feasts, but I care when you keep a pagan feasts to then have all your preachers put Jesus in Babylon and making everything pagan about Jesus. Jesus wasn't a pagan and he did not come teaching anyone against God's ways to convert them to Tammuz, the Babylonian Messiah, and where you find his name, you find the 666.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
YOU have no idea what I do or what I don't do. Your doctrines are wrong, and that is why you always resort to attacking the poster, because you stand on NOTHING but your opinions and a few cherry picked scriptures.

And no, He snuck in because it's a pattern, and the pattern is that He comes IN SECRET, meaning it's not observable, ie. the kingdom of G-c comes without observation. It had NOTHING to do with what the people were doing pertaining to love. Peace
Well, I guess you are correct about Him being IN SECRET, in your religion. In pushing the agenda of love He had to hide to stay alive---which is what you are doing toward anyone that states Christ's entire purpose was to what---

SUMMARIZE ALL THE LAW AND PROPHETS that you wish to remain hidden from others.

Quote:
‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment.
And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’
All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”
Matt 37b-40

I'm not sure why you wish to make Jesus into a liar in your religion, since it was by LOVE that He died for you, by LOVE that He promises you hope for the future, and IN love He grants those gifts you take pride in. Yet over and over, it is LAW, LAW, LAW from you.

There aren't any secret agendas in Jesus' sacrifice. There are no hidden ideas that He keeps from His children. There may be some we don't understand, but as our morality grows---which it will if we truly have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit--we see Jesus in just about everything--even things you count as wretched. That's why Jesus could claim a man was blind from birth not from sin, but so that the glory of God could be made manifest.

Faith in God is simple, and easy, and pure. Love God, and love others. And it's found right in that OT that has become your blinders:

Quote:
The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
Psalm 19:7

His LAW is love, and it is simple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BBaYkeXnzc

IF you aren't living with everything secondary to loving God and loving others, then you aren't walking in His footsteps. You've taken your own path. And the difficult thing, Rbb1, is that the most difficult person in the world to bring about a second birth is the most religious. Everything they do, even Bible reading, is lifted up as being what God wants from them--when all He wants if for you to emulate Jesus in His treatment of the basest people in the world.

No I do not attend church but on very rare occasions. I do read Scripture in order to use it as Jesus did to battle with the uber religious--using their own beliefs ABOUT the "Word" to show how fruitless it is because of the many conflicting reports, prophecies, and even instruction! It isn't perfect. But what it tells us about Jesus IS perfect. I'm a Jesus follower. I don't pick up rocks to stone prostitutes or refuse to speak to those of "pagan" beliefs (like the Samaritans were considered in His day). I just show them love and trust God to tell them what changes He wants in their life. And the latter is what galls you most, because you need "secrets" in order to try and control other people's behavior.. Those who live in the freedom Christ gave us are anathema to you. You may deny it all you want, but I see it in the words you write.

Love isn't the foundation of your faith, because Jesus isn't. But He loves you and wishes to rescue you from religion, from the LAW you find in your Bible, and set you free to love others and trust God to bring about the changes in them which you think He made in you. He doesn't need our help, He needs us to follow the example of Jesus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lbke4t9ABE

Last edited by Wardendresden; 05-22-2017 at 10:43 PM..

Old 05-22-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Acceptance is all God asks, that you come out of the ways of the world and believe in his ways, I don't keep the laws of the feasts.

But I don't turn to other gods in other feasts not ordained by God, and there is a big difference.

I converted to Judaism in that I accept I am guilty by the law. Christians didn't turn to the Holy days of Babylon till after the Jewish war.

Who cares whether you keep any of the feasts, but I care when you keep a pagan feasts to then have all your preachers put Jesus in Babylon and making everything pagan about Jesus. Jesus wasn't a pagan and he did not come teaching anyone against God's ways to convert them to Tammuz, the Babylonian Messiah, and where you find his name, you find the 666.
Acceptance IS what God asks---and it's what He asks us to do as well. There is no need to tell those different from us how they must live. God is perfectly capable of doing that Himself, in His own way.
So if you wish people to ACCEPT God, then do so by being accepting of others yourself and not placing heavy demands on them in order to meet your perception of what is "righteous."

I'm able to accept others because I came to a point in my life where I saw myself as worse than everyone else on the planet--and finally came to the realization that we are all in the same muck and equally in need of Jesus and acceptance. So I accept people for who they are. Every so often I look down to see the mud up around my ankles so that I never think myself "better" than others. I'm just a sinner saved by grace and grateful for the chance to be a Jesus follower who will treat other sinners in the manner Christ treated me---with mercy, love, and acceptance.

Go back and read that NT and tell me where Jesus spoke harshly to ANYONE except the uber religious of His day. Those people who read their Torah daily, memorized, all the LAW, could quote prophets, kept themselves from rubbing shoulders with "lesser" people than themselves. Jesus was mostly disgusted with that group. And yet you and Rbb1 over and over try to impose "secret" readings from the Scripture.

Jesus died on a cross for all to see. No secret about that. He let sinners like that thief on the cross next to Him--into the Holy of Holies. Why should I shut them out, if Jesus wouldn't?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7pXnFmHB4o

Just an old sinner saved by grace, making music with my friends!

Last edited by Wardendresden; 05-22-2017 at 09:42 PM..

Old 05-23-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Well, I guess you are correct about Him being IN SECRET, in your religion. In pushing the agenda of love He had to hide to stay alive---which is what you are doing toward anyone that states Christ's entire purpose was to what---

SUMMARIZE ALL THE LAW AND PROPHETS that you wish to remain hidden from others.

Matt 37b-40

I'm not sure why you wish to make Jesus into a liar in your religion, since it was by LOVE that He died for you, by LOVE that He promises you hope for the future, and IN love He grants those gifts you take pride in. Yet over and over, it is LAW, LAW, LAW from you.

There aren't any secret agendas in Jesus' sacrifice. There are no hidden ideas that He keeps from His children. There may be some we don't understand, but as our morality grows---which it will if we truly have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit--we see Jesus in just about everything--even things you count as wretched. That's why Jesus could claim a man was blind from birth not from sin, but so that the glory of God could be made manifest.

Faith in God is simple, and easy, and pure. Love God, and love others. And it's found right in that OT that has become your blinders:

Psalm 19:7

His LAW is love, and it is simple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BBaYkeXnzc

IF you aren't living with everything secondary to loving God and loving others, then you aren't walking in His footsteps. You've taken your own path. And the difficult thing, Rbb1, is that the most difficult person in the world to bring about a second birth is the most religious. Everything they do, even Bible reading, is lifted up as being what God wants from them--when all He wants if for you to emulate Jesus in His treatment of the basest people in the world.

No I do not attend church but on very rare occasions. I do read Scripture in order to use it as Jesus did to battle with the uber religious--using their own beliefs ABOUT the "Word" to show how fruitless it is because of the many conflicting reports, prophecies, and even instruction! It isn't perfect. But what it tells us about Jesus IS perfect. I'm a Jesus follower. I don't pick up rocks to stone prostitutes or refuse to speak to those of "pagan" beliefs (like the Samaritans were considered in His day). I just show them love and trust God to tell them what changes He wants in their life. And the latter is what galls you most, because you need "secrets" in order to try and control other people's behavior.. Those who live in the freedom Christ gave us are anathema to you. You may deny it all you want, but I see it in the words you write.

Love isn't the foundation of your faith, because Jesus isn't. But He loves you and wishes to rescue you from religion, from the LAW you find in your Bible, and set you free to love others and trust God to bring about the changes in them which you think He made in you. He doesn't need our help, He needs us to follow the example of Jesus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lbke4t9ABE

There is truly nothing you won't twist (Him going in secret) to suit your fancy, is there? And once again, He said if you love G-d, you will do His commandments. And He is not offended by those seeking out hidden wisdom, so why are you, and why are you denying it even exists? You refuse to enter into a deeper walk and you stand resolutely in the door trying to prevent others from entering in. Seems to me that's what Jesus said to the Pharisees.

Let's see what the Word says about it...

Prov 25:2 It is the glory of God to CONCEAL a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.

Isa 45:3 And I will give thee the treasures of darkness, and HIDDEN RICHES of secret places, that thou mayest know that I, the LORD, which call thee by thy name, am the God of Israel.

Rev 2:7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the HIDDEN MANNA, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.

Psalm 90:12 So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom.

Psalm 11:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.

Prov. 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Prov. 1:22 How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge?

Prov. 3:13 Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding.

Prov. 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.

Acts 6:3 Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business.

Col 1:28 For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and SPIRITUAL UNDERSTANDING;

Col 2:3 In whom are HID all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
There is truly nothing you won't twist (Him going in secret) to suit your fancy, is there? And once again, He said if you love G-d, you will do His commandments. And He is not offended by those seeking out hidden wisdom, so why are you, and why are you denying it even exists? You refuse to enter into a deeper walk and you stand resolutely in the door trying to prevent others from entering in. Seems to me that's what Jesus said to the Pharisees.

Let's see what the Word says about it...

Prov 25:2 It is the glory of God to CONCEAL a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.

Isa 45:3 And I will give thee the treasures of darkness, and HIDDEN RICHES of secret places, that thou mayest know that I, the LORD, which call thee by thy name, am the God of Israel.

Rev 2:7 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the HIDDEN MANNA, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.

Psalm 90:12 So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom.

Psalm 11:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.

Prov. 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Prov. 1:22 How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge?

Prov. 3:13 Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding.

Prov. 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.

Acts 6:3 Wherefore, brethren, look ye out among you seven men of honest report, full of the Holy Ghost and wisdom, whom we may appoint over this business.

Col 1:28 For this cause we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and SPIRITUAL UNDERSTANDING;

Col 2:3 In whom are HID all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
Hmm. Want some verses that contradict yours---for they exist, showing the folly of putting "trust" in all that is written and failing to BRING wisdom to your reading and comprehension.

The supposed wisest man in the world allegedly wrote this:
Quote:
For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief.
Eccl 1:18
and
Quote:
Then I said to myself, "As is the fate of the fool, it will also befall me. Why then have I been extremely wise?" So I said to myself, "This too is vanity."
Eccl 2:15

Why did your God give two answers in that "holy" book with regard to just how wise "wisdom" really is?

Both the fool and the wise man wind up the same. Therefore Jesus came to bring simplicity to fools who depended on the LAW as you do for salvation. He showed a better way. And if you had truly experienced God's love, then that is what you would wish to share rather than gifts, feasts, and secret meanings to "holy" Scripture. Scripture is nothing more than the witness of people about their faith. And as we have seen from your witness, it is sometimes in error because God didn't send His Son to show us "righteousness," but rather what LOVE LOOKS LIKE.

Moreover the "fruits" of the Spirit that Paul first names don't include either tongues or righteousness:

Quote:
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
Galatians 5:22-23

What's up first there, Rbb1? Righteousness? Tongues? No, it's LOVE. The closest any of them even come to "righteousness" is self-control. And if one loves everyone as themselves they must necessarily exercise self-control.

Why continue to fool yourself into thinking you have life when all you offer is that your knowledge is "special." It is just a gong, because the primary basis for all gifts is LOVE. Jesus came and showed us how to love. When the chips were down at last it wasn't Jesus doing the hiding--instead what did He say we should do?
Quote:
Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a basket. Instead, they set it on a lampstand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.
Matt 5:15
Love is a light, tongues are not. Agape love IS righteous, and without it one can have no righteousness at all.

God's command to love is almost overwhelming, and simply impossible to do on one's own, but when the Spirit of God has truly resided in one---His grace gives us the strength to stand in simplicity and without judgment of others about THEIR deeds. About our own, those who have been saved recognize we have no righteousness whatsoever, and cannot even propose to live a righteous life, so instead we live in grace and give that grace to others.

God loves you and wishes for you to have a true transformation. Once you truly have the Spirit of God in you, LOVE is the firstfruit, tongues or prophecy, preaching or prayer, all take a back seat to LOVE.

Make Jesus your first love, and follow His two greatest commandments and you will find life more abundant and free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5qc0EcNgqw

Not only was Pilate faced with a decision about what to do with Jesus---each and every one of us are.

You are only free to love, when you know you are loved by God. And that allows us to risk loving others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfMm6cHPjzE

Last edited by Wardendresden; 05-23-2017 at 09:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity