Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 05:37 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,273,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
This is why we need to depend on tradition. But the first books were probably written in 70AD.
Here is a story based on "tradition"

I asked my mother why she cut the ham in half before it went in the oven. My mother told me how her mom always cut the ham in half before placing it in the oven so she did the same. I wondered why, so mom said when grandma came over later for Easter dinner, I could ask...

Later that day I asked grandma why the ham had to be cut in half before cooking..did the ham cook better or faster? Taste better?

Grandma laughed and said, she cut it in half because the pan was too small and the ham would roll out, so by cutting it in half the ham sat on the flat side and did not roll out--there was no rhyme or reason and it was just "tradition" that really had ZERO value or insight about cooking or hams..

TRADITION leads to people accepting foolishness in place of knowledge and causes people to stop questioning and believe ANYTHING even when reality proves it false.

When I was a kid, I seriously BELIEVED I could go to Montgomery Wards and order a baby brother...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 06:51 AM

20,444 posts, read 12,825,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
That's called picking and choosing. That way you can discount anything in the Bible that doesn't serve your interests in the particular moment.

You are inconsistent.
Well, if you can show me that those passages are different than what I said, I'm all ears.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:53 AM

20,444 posts, read 12,825,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
So How do you discern/determine which is what God told men(God breathed) to write and which isn't
It has nothing to do with that. The text clearly shows those were men talking to God, asking Him to punish others for their deeds.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:30 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,738,956 times
Deu 8:3
And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger, and fed thee with manna, which thou knewest not, neither did thy fathers know; that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread only, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the LORD doth man live.

" Mat 4:3
And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.
Mat 4:4
¶
But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Jhn 6:51
I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.
Jhn 6:58
This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live for ever.

He told satan these words and it means every word, every thought, every concept that has ever come out of his mouth ... that means past, present and future words out of the mouth of God or Now out of the mouth of his son or his spirit .
every thing they say . Agreement with these true things they have said brings us into his/their presence where there is the only life that will go on into eternity.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:31 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,736,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Wrong. Those men were "moved by the Spirit".
The Bible reads "love your neighbor". I suppose pcamps has something else written in his heart since he says it does not match the Bible

Old 05-12-2017, 09:40 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,413,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The Bible reads "love your neighbor". I suppose pcamps has something else written in his heart since he says it does not match the Bible
Do you love yourself, or think you are a miserable sinner?

Old 05-12-2017, 11:21 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,354,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
It has nothing to do with that. The text clearly shows those were men talking to God, asking Him to punish others for their deeds.
Ok for arguments sake let us say you are right.... You seriously believe God inspired men who sought to destroy life.

Jesus' words from Father God >>>>> I came to save not to destroy

The psalmist who God told him to write down what he dictates to him >>>> Happy is the one who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks

Did God repent or something ?.

You and Finn refuse to acknowledge that Jesus Christ being the exact representation of all that God is, is how we determine what is of God and what isn't .

Old 05-12-2017, 11:25 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,354,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Dashing babies heads against the rocks . Pray tell why this is no longer acceptable to do when the inspired psalmist said we should be happy doing this. You don't have answer for it do you ? . Can you point out too where I said what you are saying here. Back to your old tricks I see of misrepresenting posters words,

Old 05-12-2017, 11:51 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,948,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Can you point out too where I said what you are saying here. Back to your old tricks I see of misrepresenting posters words,
WHAT a surprise!

or NOT

Old 05-12-2017, 12:31 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,736,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Do you love yourself, or think you are a miserable sinner?
It is possible to love yourself, and others while admitting we are sinners.

Why do you think you can't love yourself if you admit being a sinner like everyone else?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity