Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2017, 02:50 PM

11,907 posts, read 3,734,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
This is the point I have been trying to make: it really is not possible to make a systematic theology about forms of worship which takes the whole Bible as "THE WORD OF GOD" when parts of it are really NOT practiced physically but others are considered a requirement.

"Worship" is and should be an expression of devotion which remains between the individual and God, but the "practice of His presence" in our lives is where the rubber meets the road.

I'm afraid the focus here has become whether one should dictate his perceptions of forms of worship as "required by God."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I think so.
But this is what most of us are conditioned to think that worshipping God is, that it must conform to a religious model ..... denominational Christianity, Catholicism, Islam etc

What you are seeing is how it actually is in society so it is no wonder that you see the diversity of opinions here.

There is GOD - and then there is man making up gods out of his imagination
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 03:24 PM

63,943 posts, read 40,226,851 times
Quote:
This is the point I have been trying to make: it really is not possible to make a systematic theology about forms of worship which takes the whole Bible as "THE WORD OF GOD" when parts of it are really NOT practiced physically but others are considered a requirement.
"Worship" is and should be an expression of devotion which remains between the individual and God, but the "practice of His presence" in our lives is where the rubber meets the road.
I'm afraid the focus here has become whether one should dictate his perceptions of forms of worship as "required by God."
The problem, nate, is that people think worship is FOR God to please Him, praise Him, glorify Him, etc. etc. Nothing we do can do any of those things FOR God. Worship is as you say individual and it is FOR us, NOT God. The state of mind that we are in when we seek to express love for God and each other and commune with God benefits us and those around us, period.

Old 05-28-2017, 03:46 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,059,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
The problem, nate, is that people think worship is FOR God to please Him, praise Him, glorify Him, etc. etc. Nothing we do can do any of those things FOR God. Worship is as you say individual and it is FOR us, NOT God. The state of mind that we are in when we seek to express love for God and each other and commune with God benefits us and those around us, period.

Wow. Peace

Old 05-28-2017, 03:57 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,239,011 times
Quote:
I could never understand how a god so needy that it required worship was worthy of the capital G.

It was one of my first realizations that the OT god was totally bogus.

Old 05-28-2017, 05:19 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,947,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Wow. Peace
Revolutionary thought to you, is it?

Basic to our communication gap. You really think that it was God who set up that "worship system" in spite of the quotations from some seriously thoughtful prophets that indicate otherwise....Jeremiah, Isaiah, Micah. It really is the root of Reform Judaism and represents the OTHER current in Jewish thought. Tradition is another thing altogether.

Old 05-29-2017, 12:42 AM

1,613 posts, read 1,031,298 times
Quote:
I agree with this. I've tweeted it myself - praise is getting in flow with who you are.

What can praise do for someone who is omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscient? Absolutely nothing. They don't need anything, ....but in response to the affirmation of them they minister to you what you need. The key with it, that makes it work, is that it is not directed at self, but at Another, the Greatest.

I don't go around thinking how wonderful I am, ...and nor does the Father. I just sit at the piano when inspired and start singing praise to Father or Jesus - the old songs, the new songs, anything, and the anointing still works, even though I've changed my view of what the ultimate reason and purpose of praise is for. To draw us closer to Him. I'm still on the fence on singing about the blood of Jesus - I tried it a few months ago "oh the blood of Jesus, ...It washes white as snow" and I couldn't really decide whether there was an anointing on it, for me, anymore. Though that is how the anointing works - highlighting exactly what is needed for each one.

Last edited by Age-enduring; 05-29-2017 at 12:57 AM..

Old 05-29-2017, 04:39 AM

37,340 posts, read 28,350,979 times
Quote:
If that were the case would I not have run screaming from this board a long time ago? I just don't see the point when it's never reciprocated and so little comes of it, save more boasting accusations, or I'm lying about it, ect. The same reason I won't share my testimony on here. Peace
So you cannot answer the question then ?. If your purpose is to teach obedience, let's hear your example of it in your day to day life.

Old 05-29-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Revolutionary thought to you, is it?

Basic to our communication gap. You really think that it was God who set up that "worship system" in spite of the quotations from some seriously thoughtful prophets that indicate otherwise....Jeremiah, Isaiah, Micah. It really is the root of Reform Judaism and represents the OTHER current in Jewish thought. Tradition is another thing altogether.

No, scary sad to me that someone who professes Christ doesn't think that G-d requires worship. Peace

Old 05-29-2017, 02:44 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,239,011 times
Quote:
No, scary sad to me that someone who professes Christ doesn't think that G-d requires worship. Peace

Why would an omni-everything creature that can create worlds with a word want people to suck up to it?

Never mind, I'll tell you:

Because it's a psychotic case of arrested development and a figment of primitive, superstitious peoples' imaginations.

Old 05-29-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
So you cannot answer the question then ?. If your purpose is to teach obedience, let's hear your example of it in your day to day life.

Here's the crux of it: as many as are led by the Spirit of G-d are the sons of G-d. And glory to G-d, His word always bear witness to whatever He speaks, so I don't have do the whole, "Is it me or is it Memorex?" thing.........and then decide with a unanimous vote of one, that it was it Him. Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity