Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2017, 03:34 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,277,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
That's right. To believe in Jesus is to be understood as believing that He is who He claimed to be and that He died for your sins.
Not at all, it is to believe what he says. Whoever hears these sayings of mine and does them(we do them because we believe them) he is the wise man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2017, 03:42 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,347,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
To "believe-in" means you believe something exists or it doesn’t (i.e., Jesus, demons, ghosts)

1) to have confidence in the existence, or reliability of – something.
2) to have confidence or faith in – something.
3) give credence to, or a positive assertion that something is true.

In other words, you "believe-in Jesus" as being the Son of God (for others, God himself).
Quote:
That's right. To believe in Jesus is to be understood as believing that He is who He claimed to be and that He died for your sins.
This is my Son in whom I am well pleased, listen to him.
I don't see this as a mandatory requirement or else?

And, from where I sit, demons and ghosts do not exist.
Neither, did Jesus claim that he, himself, was GOD.

Although, that's your preference or what you "believe-in."

Old 09-20-2017, 03:44 PM

33,223 posts, read 26,417,924 times
Quote:
The bolded simply is not true. In the following three examples Jesus is speaking with reference to Himself and of the necessity of believing in Him.

John 6:29 Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in (εἰς) Him whom He has sent."

John 6:35 Jesus said to them, "I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me will not hunger, and he who believes in (εἰς) Me will never thirst.

John 6:40 "For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in (εἰς) Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day."
In each of the three verses the Greek word is εἰς and is translated into English as 'in.' This is an accurate translation because the word εἰς has the sense of movement into something and can be translated as 'in,' 'into,' 'to,' 'toward,' 'on,' 'for,'

In his intermediate Greek Grammar, 'Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics', p. 369, Dan Wallace lists the basic uses of the word εἰς.
εἰς

A. Basic Uses (with the Accusative only)

1. Spatial: into, toward, in
2. Temporal: for, throughout
3. Purpose: for, in order to, to
4. Result: so that, with the result that
5. Reference/ Respect: with respect to, with reference to
6. Advantage: for
7. Disadvantage: against
8. In the place of ἐν (with its various nuances)
And so, again, it is simply incorrect to state that the Scriptures do not say 'believe in Me.'
Quote:
To "believe-in" means you believe something exists or it doesn’t (i.e., Jesus, demons, ghosts)

1) to have confidence in the existence, or reliability of – something.
2) to have confidence or faith in – something.
3) give credence to, or a positive assertion that something is true.

In other words, you "believe-in Jesus" as being the Son of God (for others, God himself).
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Not at all, it is to believe what he says. Whoever hears these sayings of mine and does them(we do them because we believe them) he is the wise man.
It means to believe ALL that He said concerning Himself, including the fact that those who believe in Him have eternal life. Here is something Jesus said.
John 8:24 "Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for unless you believe that I am He, you will die in your sins."
You can't pick and choose what you want to believe concerning what He said and ignore the rest.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Fundamentalists don't listen, they preach at you, which amounts to nothing but "lip service."

Old 09-20-2017, 03:50 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,028,504 times
Curious, but not surprising, that many have a firm belief in the Jesus of the Bible, but when a person (Yogananda was not the only one) has a vision of the living Jesus, that is thought to be not credible.

Does a Living Jesus now mean anything, and if so, what?

Old 09-20-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
This is my Son in whom I am well pleased, listen to him.
I don't see this as a mandatory requirement or else?

And, from where I sit, demons and ghosts do not exist.
Neither, did Jesus claim that he, himself, was GOD.

Although, that's your preference or what you "believe-in."
You DONT' listen to what He said. And yes, Jesus did claim to be God. And the apostles also said that Jesus was God. But you don't listen to them either.

Old 09-20-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
It means to believe ALL that He said concerning Himself, including the fact that those who believe in Him have eternal life. Here is something Jesus said.
John 8:24 "Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for unless you believe that I am He, you will die in your sins."
You can't pick and choose what you want to believe concerning what He said and ignore the rest.
It means to listen to what he says about the way we should conduct our lives.
And that which is eternal pertains only to GOD, you haven't always existed.

Last edited by Jerwade; 09-20-2017 at 05:08 PM..

Old 09-20-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
It means to listen to what he says about the way we should conduct our lives.
And that which is eternal pertains only him, you haven't always existed.
As I showed in post #58, it means a lot more than that. It means to believe what He said about Himself. And if you don't believe that He died for your sins, then you are spiritually dead and under judgment.

And you don't believe that Jesus is God (post #72) so how can you turn around and say that He is eternal?

Old 09-20-2017, 04:16 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,277,299 times
Quote:
Why call me Lord(who I AM) when you do not do what I say ?. You will die in your sin believing you have to believe who he is, you do understand demons recognized who he is?.

Old 09-20-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Why call me Lord(who I AM) when you do not do what I say ?. You will die in your sin believing you have to believe who he is, you do understand demons recognized who he is?.
You are dead already.

And you understand nothing. Further, you disregard what Jesus Himself said. And to believe in Christ means not merely to believe that He is who He claimed to be, but that He died for your sins and that He rose again and therefore place your trust in Him for eternal life. But Jesus didn't die for the fallen angels or for the demons. They understand that Jesus is God and that He will judge them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity