Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2017, 08:31 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,208,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
So now you're in the same category of a walk of the likes of Noah, Eli, Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, Elijah and Elisha, are you? Peace
Better than the soggy, fetid quagmire you're mucking your way along.

Old 07-29-2017, 08:34 PM

20,443 posts, read 12,804,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Yes absolutely. You should not put these guys on a pedestal. You were never instructed in the scriptures to do so. Those guys would be amazed by Solomon's teachings never mind Jesus'. With your bible ear plugs in this sounds like blasphemy to you.
Wrong.

Jesus always manifested the utmost regard for the prophets. "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets," He said (Matt. 5:17). At another time He promised that "he that receiveth a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet's reward" (chap. 10:41). The gospel writers point repeatedly to events in His life, saying, "This was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet" (chap. 1:22; cf. chaps. 2:15; 3:3; 8:17; 21:4; Luke 3:4; John 1:23; 12:38). Early in His ministry Jesus read from the book of the prophet Isaiah in His own hometown church on the Sabbath day and was pushed to the edge of a cliff as a result (Luke 4:16-30). He quoted from the prophets repeatedly in His teachings from Daniel (Matt. 24:15), from Jonah (chap. 12:39), from Moses (Luke 24:27), and others.

In the parable of the rich man and Lazarus, Jesus told how the rich man asked that Lazarus be allowed to return from the dead to warn his five brothers. But Jesus had Abraham tell the rich man, "If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead" (Luke 16:31).

https://www.ministrymagazine.org/arc...t-the-prophets

Old 07-29-2017, 08:43 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,050,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Wrong.

Jesus always manifested the utmost regard for the prophets. "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets," He said (Matt. 5:17). At another time He promised that "he that receiveth a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet's reward" (chap. 10:41). The gospel writers point repeatedly to events in His life, saying, "This was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet" (chap. 1:22; cf. chaps. 2:15; 3:3; 8:17; 21:4; Luke 3:4; John 1:23; 12:38). Early in His ministry Jesus read from the book of the prophet Isaiah in His own hometown church on the Sabbath day and was pushed to the edge of a cliff as a result (Luke 4:16-30). He quoted from the prophets repeatedly in His teachings from Daniel (Matt. 24:15), from Jonah (chap. 12:39), from Moses (Luke 24:27), and others.

In the parable of the rich man and Lazarus, Jesus told how the rich man asked that Lazarus be allowed to return from the dead to warn his five brothers. But Jesus had Abraham tell the rich man, "If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead" (Luke 16:31).

Funny how those JEWISH men of the NT ALL spoke things about or out of Moses and the prophets, isn't it? Peace

Old 07-29-2017, 08:48 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,317,499 times
Quote:
Wrong.

Jesus always manifested the utmost regard for the prophets.
"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets," He said (Matt. 5:17). At another time He promised that "he that receiveth a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet's reward" (chap. 10:41). The gospel writers point repeatedly to events in His life, saying, "This was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet" (chap. 1:22; cf. chaps. 2:15; 3:3; 8:17; 21:4; Luke 3:4; John 1:23; 12:38). Early in His ministry Jesus read from the book of the prophet Isaiah in His own hometown church on the Sabbath day and was pushed to the edge of a cliff as a result (Luke 4:16-30). He quoted from the prophets repeatedly in His teachings from Daniel (Matt. 24:15), from Jonah (chap. 12:39), from Moses (Luke 24:27), and others.

So do i , like i do for all people. I recognize Abraham , Isaac and Jacob in all, even you fundies Yet you you fundamentalists are abhored by this thought, because you have these 3 characters set upon a pedestral. You who think i have gone off the rails should bear with with me.

Old 07-29-2017, 10:41 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,720,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
What are you doing to stop overdoses from prescription medication? Sounds like you want to legalize drugs, and ban prescription medication. I guess that's in line with your views on other issues.
No, healthcare officials ARE cracking down on prescription opioid medicine because it is killing 91 people per day from overdoses.

You got any information about how many people die from marijuana from overdoses? I can't find any. Yes there are some that get high and wreck their cars--but I've provided information showing drunk driving causes far more accidents. And distracted driving like using phones and eating causes even more. Are you proposing prohibition and banning food in vehicles?
Quote:

Just how deadly a killer is marijuana? Here’s a GIF showing all of the people who have died after overdosing on pot:

Yeah, not a single person has ever died from a weed overdose. We don’t have numbers on pandas, but we’re guessing it’s about the same. According to one frequently cited study, a marijuana smoker would have to consume 20,000 to 40,000 times the amount of THC in a joint in order to be at risk of dying.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3860418.html
How about opioid use?
Quote:
Drug overdose is the leading cause of accidental death in the U.S., with 52,404 lethal drug overdoses in 2015. Opioid addiction is driving this epidemic, with 20,101 overdose deaths related to prescription pain killers, and 12,990 overdose deaths related to heroin in 2015.
https://www.asam.org/docs/default-so...ts-figures.pdf
Most often people are getting into heroin because it is CHEAPER than prescription opioids. Never underestimate the ability of a drug company to make a living on other people dying.

Just showing how hypocritical your "religious" stance really is.

Last edited by Wardendresden; 07-29-2017 at 11:13 PM..

Old 07-29-2017, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Funny how those JEWISH men of the NT ALL spoke things about or out of Moses and the prophets, isn't it? Peace
You better start re-reading Scripture. Most of that reference to "Moses" of the OT found in the new--is about the NEW Moses---Jesus. That was part of the reason for the story line about Herod killing the newborn babes--a reference to the final plague in Egypt. It was also why Jesus had to be taken to Egypt for there is no verse in the OT that speaks of JESUS coming from Egypt. In Hosea it speaks of ISRAEL as God's son coming from Egypt. The author of Matthew REINTERPRETED the OT to fit the NEW Israel--Jesus who came not just for Jews, but for all men.

Paul spent a lot of energy reinterpreting the OT to render it no longer about Israel but about Jesus.

That's what a little scholarly study can do for one who sees only the surface of the "Word."

Last edited by Wardendresden; 07-29-2017 at 11:15 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 07-29-2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Wrong.

And after He stated He had not come to "destroy" the law or prophets, SIX times He reinterpreted it to mean something other than the literal words in the OT by saying "But I say unto you---."

Sometimes He was harder than the law---as in "If you look upon a woman with lust in your eye you have already committed adultery" (which was "illegal" under the Law).

And sometimes He directly contradicted the very words of God as in "You have heard it said (it was actually written in more than one place in the OT) an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth, BUT I SAY UNTO YOU LOVE YOUR ENEMIES, AND PRAY FOR THEM WHO DESPITEFULLY USE YOU."

Get a grip, man. Jesus interpreted the OT to mean something completely different than fundamentalists cling to in modern America. Read Exodus 3:6 and see if it says something about the resurrection of human beings. But Jesus interpreted it to mean so and even the Saduccees who didn't believe in a resurrection did not argue with Him. They all thought it to be a wonderful interpretation.

Until one can use JESUS to interpret the writings of the past, one remains in the realm of the Pharisee.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:03 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,381,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
It was also why Jesus had to be taken to Egypt for their is no verse in the OT that speaks of JESUS coming from Egypt.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:12 PM

88,636 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
Name one thing you would know about Jesus, without the Bible?
They didn't have the Bible in India, and yet when the Portuguese arrived in the 16th century, there was a flourishing Christian Church already in existence.

People told the story orally first and wrote it down later. A group of men sitting around deciding which writings to put in the collection does not make a book equal to God.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:33 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,381,688 times
Quote:
Name one thing you would know about Jesus, without the Bible?
I met him while in prison, and again on the 11 mile (x2) trail along the Napali coast in Kauai, Hawaii.
Again, while eating in a food kitchen, and again when I was overseas - as the bullets fell like rain.

I've had more encounters, but I am sure you wouldn't believe me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity